About Dark Souls games

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by AsiJu, Jan 18, 2017.

1. Scully

Scully Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 Gaming 1070
    Iudex Gundyr is one of my most favorite bosses even though he's the first one and again as the champion. One of the best OSTs to me mixed with his agile attack set was just amazing.

2. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Took me a good while to beat him. He had so many attack combos and the latter part was very difficult.

Was like dodge-slash-dodge-slash... make a mistake when he charges and you're dead.

Some of his sweeping attacks could be parryable but didn't feel like trying that.

3. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Haha! The Soul of Cinder has fallen! Yee-haw!! :D

I rate this game 6/5, would die a thousand deaths again!

:p

Edit: already well on my way on Journey 2... awaiting a sale for Dark Souls the first.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
  4. drandiiski

drandiiski Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1060 6GB OC
    GG mate! How did you deal with late game bosses, solo or with summons? Personally I did all bosses solo, with the exception of the three last ones, where the two stage fights were a bit too much for me on my first run. Also after god knows how many tries, yesterday I finally managed to kill the last boss of the DLC with the help of a NPC summon. Did you get the DLCs btw?

5. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    We cooped Irithyll with Netherwind so Pontiff and Aldrich were coop and I had two NPC summons for Deacon (because only then I realised what the signs did so tried it out, lols).

Rest solo.

Didn't get the dlc yet but surely will! Nice coincidence that the second dlc is just coming.

6. drandiiski

drandiiski Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1060 6GB OC
    Nice! I really ran out of patience on the Nameless King and Soul of Cinder.

The first DLC is short, but pretty cool. I hope that the second one will be bigger, especially for the price of the season pass.

7. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    I actually missed Nameless King as I missed Archdragon Peak. Something new still for ng+
    Did 17 of 19 bosses on first run.

Also I botched the Anri questline so didn't get the best ending afaik. You must have all 8 dark sigils for that I think.
    The quest got botched because I didn't play through Cathedral of the Deep but continued to Carthus and Irithyll (meaning I had to return to Cathedral and finish it to be able to enter Irithyll).

You're supposed to meet Anri in Carthus after Deacon is killed and so on (checked from wiki up to that point).

8. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Gratz man! Nice to hear that you enjoyed the hell out of that game. I really liked NG+1 and 2 but 3 was a bit too much. I've not yet completed the 1st DLC either but I think I'm at the end of it and I agree with drandiiski that it's pretty short. Though cool :)

Haha with "Blob" I mean Rosaria (if that's her name), the thing that looks like Jabba the Hutt, resting on a bed of some sorts :D

Nameless King has taken more lives than any other boss in my DS3 universe :) It's a total pain with so many difficult attacks and hardly any room for breathing, plus any mistake is often very difficult to recover from.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
  9. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    About the Ashes of Ariandel dlc: can you play it mid-journey or do you need to be in game complete 'mode'?

Based on a lp I watched it's accessed from Cleansing Chapel, correct?

10. glock38

glock38 Guest

GPU:
    Radeon R9 285 2GB
    Yeah it's in the cleansing chapel, you don't need to complete the game or in in NG+ or anything. If you're starting a new game, I would say you need to be about level 65 for the DLC, especially if you're kinda new to the game. The boss is real challenge, probably my favourite boss in the game in terms of visuals, atmosphere and difficulty.

11. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    ^ thanks!

I just reached cleansing chapel on ng+ so I could grab the dlc now to mix things up a bit.

Level 100+something atm so should be good. Plus I'm slowly becoming a katana-parrying expert :p (Uchigatana +10)

12. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    I'll join you on your DLC playthrough if you want :) You take point and I'll cover your six.

13. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    ^ could be fun :) didn't get the dlc yet though, the season pass price is a bit steepish on Steam imo.

I could get DS 1 for less so still pondering a bit.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2017
  14. TimmyP

TimmyP Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    You've already ruined "the" Dark Souls experience by playing the third first, and skipping the first.

If youre into average games might as well get the second instead, which was only marginally worse than the 3rd.

15. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    That's your opinion (which you've already made clear).

I personally can't see why the experience would be ruined. If anything I can appreciate DS 1 from the get go as I already know the mechanics of the series.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017

16. drandiiski

drandiiski Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1060 6GB OC
    Oh, please .. We get.. And as big fan of the first and the series I dissagree..

17. TimmyP

TimmyP Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    No. Not in this case. Your opinions are in the vast minority.

Dark Souls 1 was a once every 10 years game. 2 and 3 were not even CLOSE. If video games are art, then this would have to be a, or even THE, top example. EVER.

And yes. I have played Demon Souls and it was also better than DS2/3 but it doesn't have what DS1 had.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2017
  18. drandiiski

drandiiski Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1060 6GB OC
    No one is saying that DS3 is better, or that DS1 isn't one of the best games ever, I do agree with that. But that has nothing to do with the order you have to play them. So just chill and let others enjoy the games for what they are in the order they want.

19. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    So got Dark Souls 1.

Played for two hours so far and it's ofc immediately familiar feeling. Controls do feel more "sluggish" compared to DS 3 but on the other hand enemies seem slower/less aggressive too.
    In the beginning at least. Parrying feels ridiculously easy compared to DS 3 :p

Starting the game without mods and it does look dated, really not at all like a 2012 game imo.
    DSFix, hires textures and UI to the rescue though and things look a lot better.

Beat two bosses (Asylum Demon and that other one up on the walls) so far and haven't had too much trouble, yet.
    Compared to how much trouble DS 3 gave me initially it seems true the first game you play is the hardest, then it gets easier.

20. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Dark Souls 1 is a bit slower paced though once you get past the initial part of that settlement you will run into tougher opponents, lots of traps too and other hazards and similar to Dark Souls 2 the game can be fairly non-linear, particularly with a certain key allowing you to access areas earlier than you would otherwise be able to.
    (Generally getting you killed in various ways but there's some pretty nice items lying about if you do get through the enemies here.)

Then there's the whole bit on how to access the Abyss area and the expansion content itself, that's a bit of work though I really enjoyed this part of the game.

Upgrade system is also different with more types of materials and the way items have to be ascended but you'll get to that later on in the game.
    (The guy who sells boss armor sets is also placed in a pretty annoying area, 60 FPS via DSFix also messes a bit with platforming though it's still doable.)

EDIT: Lower polygon count and worse texture quality but I really liked the enemy variety in the first Dark Souls too, sadly Demons Souls and I guess Bloodborne too will likely be forever on Playstation so little to no chance of seeing the first game (Well of the Souls series, after Kings Field.) and their new Bloodborne franchise ever hitting PC.

Heard Bloodborne has less overall equipment but it's very well balanced in turn whereas for Dark Souls 3 the player is slow paced as in Dark Souls and enemies are fast pace as in Bloodborne heh.
    (It's manageable though even if it feels a bit cheap at times but compared to some of the areas in the first two Dark Souls games well DS3 isn't really that frustrating toning down on the environmental traps and platforming bits.)

Last edited: Feb 19, 2017