About Dark Souls games

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by AsiJu, Jan 18, 2017.

1. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    I'm actually thinking of mixing things up with a bit of PvP. Only done it when I've been invaded so far and it's pretty fun. Managed to win one battle too.

I often get the upper hand but then lose all of a sudden... maybe I try to win too fast. I often rush the opponent when they're going for healing but can't get to them quick enough.

Using Chaos Blade as my main (high dex scaling) with Drakeblood Greatsword or Firelink Greatsword as alternates. Ocassionally Morion Blade too if I need a fast swinging weapon. Katanas aren't as quick to chain attacks with as straight swords.

Chaos Blade's self damage can be mitigated with Sun Princess ring basically. Or Ring of Evil Eye. Plus I go for parry+riposte whenever possible.

Use a mix-match gear set of Thief Mask, Wolf Knight armor (or Artorias' armor), Shadow gauntlets and Darkwraith leggings.
    It's a lightweight combo plus looks cool imo.

Grass Crest shield or Lothric shield as means of defense. Lothric shield is +9 as upgrading shields increases their stability.
    Grass Crest is +2 only as it needs twinkling titanite.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2017
  2. drandiiski

drandiiski Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1060 6GB OC
    Hehe, nice! As for me – hit a bit of a difficulty wall and did not make any progress for days, so got distracted with other games…

3. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    In Demon's or were you playing DS 3 DLC?

Haven't played Ringed City yet myself apart from a quick look. Wanted to finish Ashes of Ariandel first.

At Friede bossfight now, that b***h :p

The first two stages aren't that bad but the last. Though the trick seems to be Friede has no poise so you can interrupt her attacks with your own.
    Just need the right timing / window and hell of a lot of rolling in between :D

plus as much Frost resistance as you can muster. Plus I still need to work out the parry timing for the last stage. She has a large healthpool so crits would be nice.

4. drandiiski

drandiiski Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1060 6GB OC
    Yeah, I meant Demon Souls.
    Finished the DS3 DLCs when they got released. Sister Friede is a bitch, no doubt about that. You can summon a NPC for her, even without being embered, but that increases the health pool even more, so yeah …
    That is all to prepare your ass for the Ringed City bosses .. oh boy ..

5. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Where you at in Demon's?

I almost made the game "impossible" by making Shrine of Storms pure black World Tendency... there were so many black phantom enemies near the end it was nasty. Barely made it.

Yeah I've heard Ringed City bosses are something else... and from the snippets I've watched of them (just quickly to avoid spoilers) seems about right.

I summoned Slave Knight Gael a few times but did the last attempts solo. He didn't seem all that helpful except drawing fire.
    He usually dies by the last stage anyhow so if the summon increases Friede's HP think I'll go solo from now on.

6. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
  7. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    I never finished the DLCs so I thought I'd do it plus also try getting those final stupid Proof of Concord marks so I can get 100% achievement completion (god I hate that system). Some of these things were actually farmable but the Concord marks, not so much. I have to wait until I'm summoned which does indeed happen but 50% of the time it's either many vs one or just arena games or something else stupid.

Anyway, I've killed the Wolf of the first DLC so that one is completed. Now I'm doing the second one and have finally beat the demon boss (quite easy with a phantom summon) and am moving inside the Ringed City. I was so annoyed by the Iron Dragonslayer but was luckily able to cheese him :D

Moving up to what seems to be the dragon and I'm not really looking forward to that ;) Also hoping to find a higher AR weapon than Profaned Greatsword but so far no luck. Not sure what build to use either at SL215.

AsiJu likes this.
  8. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Hehe, I'm at the Demon bossfight now, though haven't played DS 3 for a while but that's where I left off.

Gravetender / Wolf isn't the only/last boss of Ashes of Ariandel btw :)

9. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    It took a while to get used to the controls :D Let me know if you need help with Demon, but otherwise I recommend the Phantom, which really helped.

You're right, it's Friede ;) That fight was a royal pain in the butt, especially the last phase (gah). Took me many tries to down her.

10. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Ah you already did Friede, all right :)

I'll hit you up if I don't feel like soloing it. I was able to kill the first phase demons on my first try but already thought "this can't be it". No, it wasn't... :p

Been playing Nioh a lot, it's really fun! Returning to DS must feel really sluggish after Nioh.

The basic combat principle is about the same but timing and pacing are completely different in Nioh and DS.
    Nioh is maybe even more harsh in punishing mistakes. You must have a real zen focus when fighting bosses.

I also feel like Nioh rewards aggressive play more. Sure you must dodge and block a lot but you really can't play very conservatively, like chip a hit in every now and then.

As in keep pouring it in when you can attack, dodge, keep attacking, back up only when you must regain stamina (Ki).

Boss fights in Nioh are very rewarding, even more so than DS's I think. In DS beating a boss often feels more like overcoming a difficulty spike than mastering combat.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018

11. drandiiski

drandiiski Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1060 6GB OC
    So two of my friends decided to play DS3 – one is a first timer to souls and the other not so much, but still a noob. Decided to join them and we ran through the game + DLC in about two weeks. Now we will be starting Bloodborne as it seems. Fun times!

But in the meantime, the reason I’m posting is that I found another gem of a game – Salt and Sanctuary. Of course I was aware of it for a long time, but was not too sure about the art stile and the whole souls clone in 2D. Well, I was wrong. It is souls inspired metroidvania. Highly recommend it for anyone with a need for a souls fix!

Netherwind and AsiJu like this.
  12. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    I own the first Dark Souls game on PC.
    But... have only ever put a couple hours into it... and never really got "into" it.

A friend said it was because I don't own a gamepad, and was trying to play it with mouse and keyboard. Which, yes, the PC port of the first Dark Souls is absolutely... abysmal. People take this the wrong way, but it is one of the worst PC ports in recent years. That is not a comment on the game or it's quality, just the sheer awfulness of the PC release.

But, I also have other friends who have played and beaten it with mouse and keyboard.

13. drandiiski

drandiiski Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1060 6GB OC
    You are right that the port was one of the worst. Luckily it was fixed with the properly named DSFix MOD. I think that also includes improvements for the M+KB controls and the option to download alternative textures for the button maps. That said, it is just better with a controller.

Like I said in my previous post, I’m playing with a guy that just got his first controller for DS3. He was reluctant on the first day, but a week later was enjoying himself and was looking for more games to play with it on the PC. I also got my controller to play DS1 and at first it was very strange after so many years on the M+KB. Nowadays I do not buy games if I cannot play them on a controller.

You can play however you want of course and it should be possible to finish it on a M+KB setup. I have finished games like Resident Evil 4 and Devil May Cry 3 on a KB only and people are playing Souls games on Guitar Hero controllers, so yeah…

In any case, the game has a bit of steep learning curve. At the same time it is best enjoyed playing it “blind”. So my advice would be – play it on your own as much as possible, but if you feel stuck you can always check some stuff on youtube or the wiki. Just try not to spoil yourself too much.

AsiJu likes this.
  14. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Thanks for the tip, here it is for other readers : http://store.steampowered.com/app/283640/Salt_and_Sanctuary/

AsiJu likes this.
  15. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Fixed it :D

drandiiski likes this.

16. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Decided to play a bit of DS 3 while playing DS: Remastered.

Got to the end of Ringed City and defeated Gael.
    Boy that DLC was really tough! Progress was slow and the Demon Prince took me ages to beat.

Gael is my favourite bossfight now perhaps. It's challenging but fair and it reminds me of Gwyn bossfight in DS.

Liked Ringed City and how it expanded the lore of, well, the dark soul.
    Also cool it ties to Ashes of Ariandel in the end.

Though in true Souls fashion you're ultimately left with more questions than answers...

So what's my all time favourite Souls game?

All things considered I think DS 3 takes the crown.
    Vast, beautiful world rich in lore and full of references to previous games in a brilliant action RPG with great combat.

There, at least this thread got some form of closure :)

Eagerly waiting for Shadows Die Twice now!

17. drandiiski

drandiiski Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1060 6GB OC
    Nice!

Playing through the DS remaster has confirmed for me that the first one is still my favorite. That’s my third playthrough overall and quite possibly not the last. I loved DS3 too and also have finished it (almost) three times and I prefer a lot of things over DS1, but still not just quite enough to be my top choice from the trilogy.

Old news I know, but I will say it once again – this is one of the best series in gaming ever!

As expected I’m also anticipating what will come next in the form of Sekiro. My only concern is the lack of multiplayer. Yes that thing, that publishers and devs shove into games nowadays, that seems forced and unnecessary. But playing the DS remaster (and all the other games of course) has given me a lot of fun moments due to the revived online community, to the point I want MP in my game lol. We’ll see how that will turn out.

In the meantime, I finally got to playing Nioh. The game so far is great! It is not souls like, but the combat is inspired by souls. The enemy encounters and bosses in particular, have that nice souls flow to them. You can easily die in two hits, but if you pay attention and choose your moments you can overcome it all.

cerebus23 likes this.
  18. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Yeah Nioh is great! I've clocked some 60+ hours in it, still have to finish it.

Nioh is clearly inspired by Souls but takes its own twist in it. Combat is sublime with all weapons, stances, combos... also love the fluid response.

Team Ninja and From seem to keep nodding each other as Sekiro will likely take a page or two from Nioh.

19. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    Mine as well , you can see just how much thought has been put into this game, hidden things, also because they use the same color palette so the pathway can be hard to follow as well.
    The fact that there are so many bosses and cool sections , like i forgot about the children skeletons. the ghost section where you have to take stuff before you can hit them, the painted world of ariamis. sens fortress traps and easy way to fall down :D

yep its my favorite out of all soulsborne games.
    Its funny to play it again , while i struggled so hard the first time , now im dying so much less :D

Nioh , combat wise is insanely good since you can have different stances and combo them all together. you will feel like a real martial artist when doing so. the fact that weapons have different move sets is so great.
    I also bought the surge a few months ago, i thought it was gonna be like those 2 games, but it was boring as hell. totally hate i bought it, i uninstalled it even.
    I also tried to get into heroes of the fallen again, but somehow i cannot get into it. everything just feels off , like it needs to be tweaked.. i tried with the 3 different speed armor sets, but it was the same for all of them. also i hated it didnt have bigger areas , all was so close spaced so you couldnt look any further what is coming up. think i wont play that again.

the wait is for code vein , hope it wont be too easy though , i saw it has some crazy power moves.

cerebus23 likes this.
  20. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Yep Code Vein is also one of my awaited for games.

Oh, and still have to finish (and replay) Bloodborne. Gehrman is awaiting but he can wait while I battle through Old Hunter's.

Btw I hope Sekiro would use a similar system to BB's blood gems.
    It's a neat system that works in addition to fortifying and attribute scaling and allows you to really create powerful weapons and tweak them.

Also adds a loot drop system to weapon modification giving BB a Diablo-esque element.