1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Able to get Higher Voltage using a Curve

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Cyberdyne, Jan 5, 2019.

1. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 XC Ultra
    Here's something really strange I've noticed.
    I NEED to use the curve function to get the most out of my overclock. Simply using the core slider with the voltage maxed out, I only get the about 1.043 voltage on load. Sometimes I saw 1.050. I assumed that this was simply the max voltage I could get from my card. This limits my overclock to about 2025 mhz fully stable.
    But, if I use a curve, select 1.075 volts, press L to lock it, and move the core clock to say 2070 mhz (really doesn't matter for my point), I actually get to 1.075 voltage. And, it stays there no matter how hot or how long I run a test. This blows my mind, I SERIOUSLY could not budge above 1.050 v, now i get an extra .025-.032 using a curve.
    Not only does this mean I can overclock higher, but the clocks do not bounce around. This pretty much turns GPU Boost OFF. It's almost like overclocking like in the good old days haha.

This is how I had to do it...
    1. Max out power, temp, and voltage sliders.
    2. Put load on GPU
    (I used Heaven maxed out). This is needed because when you apply a curve the current load it's under is taken account for. It's REALLY annoying, but I'm not aware of a way to avoid this step. This IS required. I think the core temp is effecting things.
    3. Press CTRL F
    to open curve window.
    4. Select the 1.075 voltage point.
    5. Press L.
    Move the point up to the clock you want.
    7. Press apply.
    Look at what your clocks read as. If you are locked in to the voltage and core speed you wanted, then you're done (skip to number 10)
    9. But, this is why you have heaven running, when you hit apply it moves things around, so if it's not the clock you wanted select the 1.075 point again and move it back to the clock you want and hit apply.

You should be where you want at this point, more voltage than before and a consistent clock speed.
    10. You're pretty much done, but I suggest before you close the curve window and save your profile, press L again on the curve window to unlock it. This allows the card to properly downclock when idle. It still should use the correct voltage and core speed when you apply a load.
    11. Save the profile.

This looks crazy, but I swear it works. Unless the voltage readout is lying to me. I have a feeling it's not.
    I've seen others get to 1.075 v without any trickery. So maybe this is limited to cards like mine?? EVGA RTX 2070 Ultra.
    I'd love if someone could confirm my madness.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
    Maddness likes this.
  2. Scerate

Scerate Maha Guru

GPU:
    2080@2.1/1070N@2.0
    Don't worry my EVGA 2080 XC Ultra does the same, after i switched my system to watercooling i saw 1.050 almost everytime, breakpoint seems to be 49-50 °C to drop 15mhz or voltage (seems random?, hard to test never see above 48 °C), but i don't use the lock method i just use the curve and slide the prefered voltage to the top. What i don't really get tho is that my max stable overclock with 1.05v was 2085mhz and with a measly increase to 1.056v i'm stable at 2115mhz.

[​IMG]

3. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA XCUltra 2080Ti
    wait a minute... what the hell o_O

Need to try !

holy crap you're right

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019 at 3:09 AM