AA/AF settings

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by c_brookhart1, Feb 11, 2005.

1. c_brookhart1

c_brookhart1 Guest

I would like to get an idea of what settings for Anti-Aliasing and Anisotropic Filtering everyone uses. I have AA set at 4x and AF set on application control.

2. YACOZA

YACOZA Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS Geforce 7800GT x2 maybe?
    usually it is a specific game that ppl use it for...

what game u talkin about...

o.. and i use no aa / 4x af for most games on this hunk of crap

3. MrRand0m

MrRand0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI 5850
    I generally don't use it at all... too much stuffing around unless the game supports it directly and I don't have to do it at the driver level.

besides, i only have a 5700 :S

4. Cullam3n

Cullam3n Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 6800 256mb
    I use 8xAF whenver I can, as that bothers much me much more than jaggies. Depending on the framerate, then I'll go for AA or higher resolution.

5. c_brookhart1

c_brookhart1 Guest

I've got Raven Shield, Full Spectrum Warrior, Medal of Honor Allied Assult, Flight Sim 2004. I've had image glitches when playing all the above games, and that is with AA on 4x and AF on application control. I want to see sharp images and not blocky ones. I wonder if all the problems I have are related to not having the performance settings correct. How would I know which games support AA or AF?

6. Ilmarin

Ilmarin Master Guru

GPU:
    POV 7800GTX 512 extreme
    i never use AA just 16x on any resolution ranging from 1024x768 to 1600x1200.depends on what each game supports

7. Ilmarin

Ilmarin Master Guru

GPU:
    POV 7800GTX 512 extreme

from my experience AF never gave me any glitches on any game and its an instant effect.the game doesnt have to support it for it to work.
    as for AA i dunno bout those games you mention since i dont own any of them.but usually when a game has an internal AA setting its best to use that one instead of the one on the driver panel

8. macatak

macatak Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3070
    Funny thing is i was just playing around with AA settings in HL2 yesterday and i found out that the AA is applied better when it is selected in the Video Options instead of in the Driver Control Panel. I tried three different configurations, no AA at all in both the CP and in the Video Options, 4AA set in the CP/ none in the Video Options, 4AA in the Video Options/ none in the CP. I'll post some screenies for you to compare :)

4AA set in CP/None in Video Options
    http://img204.exs.cx/img204/5659/4aadrivers6fr.jpg

4AA in Video Options/No AA in CP
    http://img234.exs.cx/img234/6020/4aaingame4hk.jpg

No AA in CP/ No AA in Video Options
    http://img234.exs.cx/img234/9316/noaa5to.jpg

Last edited: Feb 11, 2005
  9. Zoomy942

Zoomy942 Member Guru

GPU:
    6800 GT
    i use 2 AF and no AA

10. TheDimSide

TheDimSide Member

GPU:
    Asus GF4200 Ti
    based on my experience, better set af to none and use trililnear filtering instead. I read an article said that u can hardly sees the different. Trilinear takes 4 texture from the surrounding and mix it together while aniso takes a whopping 16 textures and blend it together. Aniso take much more GPU power. For balance perfomance and quality, i would say, quincunx and trilinear filtering, IMO....

11. allesclar

allesclar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    i use 4x and 16x i sometimes use 8xs but i would def if i could overclock my cpu :(