A tip for you internet connection

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by mudgunner, Feb 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mudgunner

mudgunner Active Member

GPU:
    ati rad 3200+2600xt
    there are so many people who sit and wonder why they get lag and im gonna hopefully sovle some of this for you.
    First when playing a game you shouldnt have other internet apps goin and this includes stuff like windows auto update and msn.
    In theory alot of connections can handle it but information does collide.
    If you are using a firewall make sure your game has the appropriate .exe exceptions made.
    If you are on a router you should without a doubt be on the dmz or demilitarize.
    If you are using a wireless router keep in mind there are three wireless protocol 802.11b/g/n.
    todays games shouldnt be used with wireless b or g.
    Wireless n was made for streaming media as well as games wireless without interruption or latency.
    If you do have a wireless g make sure it has mimo.
    If you do get a wireless n router you will see an improvement if you are using a wireless g card but when you get the wireless n card my god you will be pleasantly suprised.
    The most important thing is knowing that you tx and rx levels are normal as well as to signal to noise. TO make it easier when you log into the modem itself you will see status. There will be three sets of important numbers.
    Federal guidlines are such and some modems dont specify tx and rx so im just gonna give the numbers.
    -15db to 15db is the federal guideling however in areas with cold winters and hot summers it is -12 to +12 cause of expected 3db fluctuation with the temp changes.
    +35db to 55db. Usually again the range will change in area like mine cause of climate change to 38-50 is acceptable however when these level are on the line something should be done.
    signals always fluctuate and if one is off the packets get looped back through not only causing a problem for your connection and possibly effecting your entire node/network up to 1024 people.
    SN ratio should be 35-40.
    Last thing is the modem makes the connection.
    ALot of companies are still using the first generation surfboards which started as texas instrument then turned into motorolla and these are not suppose to be in use.
    THey are made for a 10/100 network however when they were developed the software didnt like the 100 side.
    If you are using and old modem and in specific old beige surfboard get rid of it.
    When it comes to brands i have found that motorolla's are hte second most reliable.
    The first ebing the old lancity metal heat sync modems made by bay networks which are no longer use at all due to the changes from non doxcys to doxcys.
    Motorolla sb5120 and above are very sweet.
    If you are using a MTA which is a box that you get your internet from and your telephony from your cable company you will see you connection drop at times.
    This is because the software here again is having dns issues and i know for a fact the rca is notorious for it.
    I havent used the ******** hybrid yet but it is still a new technology that alot cable companies arent even touching yet.
    If you do not know the login ip for your modem simply google manual for the model and it will be there, Or if your company has good support give them a call and ask for the transmit and receive levels.

You now know the guidelines and if levels are off the last technician didnt do his job right or you decided to do your own splitting of the cable line and used crappy fittings/rg69/bad splitter.
    here is a link for my connections speed.....i pay 49.99 a month and this is what i get after fine tuning all programs and turning off the ones not needed.
    http://www.speedtest.net/result/407681430.png

sorry for the structure but it was alot of crap to fit in....i do apologize im use to reading things as they would appear in a book and to me the tighter it is the faster i can read it. My bad...hopefully this is easier to read now

Last edited: Feb 11, 2009
  2. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    that is absolutely impossible to read

3. Incognito5000

Incognito5000 Guest

GPU:
    Radeon R9 290
    *waves hand* "These are not the paragraphs we are looking for".

4. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Please reformat your post. No one can read that without a reformatting.

deltatux

5. weston

weston Guest

GPU:
    GTX 275
    wow, you have insanely fast internets! I'm very jealous right now being stuck on 8Mbps down, 512Kbps Up...

6. kRze

kRze Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 280 SSC|24" Dell
    edit:Yep bit harsh, sorry for my comment... bad day at work.

Enjoy your stay here mudgunner.

7. Doug

Doug Guest

GPU:
    GTX 970
    i think people are being a bit harsh to a guy just trying to help others

8. maxfly

maxfly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 980 TI
    i agree. hes trying to contribute to the community people. granted the post is hard to decipher. that doesnt mean we have to be jerks does it?

9. Passion Fruit

Passion Fruit Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    You, sir, crossed the line :puke2:

10. Nihilkrist

Nihilkrist Master Guru

GPU:
    2 x Inno3D GTX260
    That was rather painful, and I mean no offense, but it doesn't seem to contain anything of use :/

That, for example. You're posting on a hardware enthusiast site and telling us leaving apps running that use the internet may take up some bandwidth?

Jeez, that's a little condescending.

That's just lolworthy.

If you're going to make posts like this, format them correctly, then post them on the PC World forums or something.

11. nOv1c3

nOv1c3 Guest

GPU:
    2X VisionTek HD 4850
    I can read it just fine

12. Doug

Doug Guest

GPU:
    GTX 970
    do people just have no sense of how other people will take their comments about them?

OP joined last month and has 7 posts and thought he'd try help and obviously spent a long time writing that, when he checks back hes gonna be be a bit downtrodden and probably wont bother again..

for shame!

13. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    Meh my posts gets bashed all time lol so don't worry about it.

14. Incognito5000

Incognito5000 Guest

GPU:
    Radeon R9 290
    I thought a clever Star Wars reference was a suitable way of implying that paragraphs are needed...

15. Nihilkrist

Nihilkrist Master Guru

GPU:
    2 x Inno3D GTX260
    Personally I'd prefer honest feedback over everyone just smiling politely at me and shaking their heads.

16. Passion Fruit

Passion Fruit Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    Its a forum... on the internet

17. Flopster

Flopster Banned

GPU:
    Club3D 8600GTS 256MB
    Either you learn from your mistakes or from someone elses. I tend to learn more from my own. And OP's post was a total explosion of words. Seems that he wrote in some unthinkable frenzy, but that's a lot text right there. But next time make it more quality, not quantity or even better both;) In the meantime you get an applause from for the patience to write that much text:p

18. Li4m79

Li4m79 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xPalit GTX770 Jetstream
    lmao @ everything....

19. Doug

Doug Guest

GPU:
    GTX 970
    i wouldnt mind some feedback if at least ONE person actually said anything about what i had posted in the first place

"blah blah blah on-topic. oh and btw, blah blah blah feedback" is much nicer than telling him what hes saying is "lolsworthy", im sure there'll be people here who either forgot little things like that or didnt know it in the first place, specially in the general hardware section where alot of people sign up to ask things and might just see it and learn something, you wernt born knowing that were you?

20. Nihilkrist

Nihilkrist Master Guru

GPU:
    2 x Inno3D GTX260
    Seriously, you think there are people on this forum that don't understand how to use a firewall? :/

People like that tend to gravitate to the PC format forums, or some bright shiny corner of the internet of similar ilk. Guru3D is not an idiot convention.

I thought his post was condescending, not particularly useful, and poorly formatted. I commend his efforts, but I'm not going to pretend otherwise.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.