A Thread About The Universe

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Pill Monster, Sep 28, 2009.

1. googlegod

googlegod Member Guru

GPU:
    I Could Tell You But Then
    My head hurts.

2. Nijohc

Nijohc Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 8GB
    At least 93 Billion Light Years.

3. Decane

Decane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    Nothingness is the complete absence of space and time. It's one thing to say it, but completely another to imagine it. Try it, I dare you. You won't be able to, nobody is. Oh, sure, you can imagine the black "vacuum" of outer space; anybody can. But that's not really nothingness, because outer space is still space. And then there's the other thing: time. How the heck do you imagine the absence of time? I mean, if we define time as an infinitely dense sequence of instances, then the absence of time would entail that none of these instances exist. Thus, nothingness; and all of a sudden, we're back to square 1.

According to the logic above, it seems that time and space always co-exist: you can't have one without the other, because one of them missing will always result in nothingness.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2009
  4. CronoGraal

CronoGraal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI R9 390 8GB
    It's like trying to imagine yourself before consciousness, just impossible to do.

5. happy

happy Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 9400GT
    for a monday mornin this is hardcore

i dont think the size of the universe can be measured, surely the vast amount of space would require marking up or something

but i do believe were are not the only life around, coz think about it, how boring would that be the only race in exsistance, i would like to meet aliens or what ever think it would be interesting

6. madmax987

madmax987 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire ATI HD4870 512mb
    When trying to comprehend the size of the universe; just think about the micro world of biology and all the billions of organisms that make us.

7. smnoamls

smnoamls Maha Guru

GPU:
    6950 2gb Dirt3 @6970 bios
    Why yes it is. String theory in a nutshell states ( and its only an unproven theory ) that space is not granular like trillions of tiny ball shaped particles but instead of tiny vibrating loops of tubing. This adds the extra 4 dimensions needed to explain so many things in astrophysics and general theory of relativity.
    Again, just google it, i wont even try to explain it in a forum post.

You know, I never really gave it much thought, but yes. My stoner friends keep dragging the conversation with me to physics.
    And who would win, mighty mouse or superman.

8. Glidefan

Glidefan Don Booze Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | 8600M GS
    Well i know for sure that its not big enough for the two of us!

:p:p Sorry felt compelled to say that.
    On topic though, i don't think you can ask something like that yet as it basically holds everything we can understand and more,
    plus it supposedly changes size and shape.

9. smnoamls

smnoamls Maha Guru

GPU:
    Again, its less metaphysical than that.
    We KNOW the size of the universe is growing due to the distance of galaxies growing.
    We KNOW from doppler effect of the big bang the shape is like a football ( american , not soccer ).
    And we can comprehend the math of it. Well, not me, I was a physicist, not a real mathematician. But I trust my fellow math wizards when they say "Once you model it well, its really quite straight forward" :)

10. Wanny

Wanny Guest

Today shall be the today where Guru members had an important increase of brain overheating.

11. smnoamls

smnoamls Maha Guru

GPU:
    You should go water cooling then

12. Glidefan

Glidefan Don Booze Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | 8600M GS
    Lets get some buckets with ice

13. Pablo

Pablo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Saphire 5870 2g VapourX
    Hang on, will get vernier out and see.

lets just say its big, and youl be fine

14. MadGizmo

MadGizmo Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI R9 290X 8GB 2560*1440
    Cosmologist Prof. Max Tegmark once said something along the lines of: How could space not be infinite? Is there a sign somewhere saying "Space Ends Here - Mind the Gap."? ;)

15. boodikon

boodikon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 8800 GTS 640mb (600 core)
    It's as big as putting a watermelon in a orange then turning them inside out whilst shaking your fist at a cup of coffee in a microwave going back in time.

16. b101uk

b101uk Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX1070
    you are wrong because you simply are not comprehending what was there before the “big bang”

The “big bang” you are referring to is just the last big bang in a long line of big bangs that have been creating more and more complex matter each time one takes place.

i.e.
    large amounts of simple matter gradually attracting its self to other clumps/clouds of the same matter then colliding with another form of simple matter creating a big bang that creates some more complex matter as well a leaving some of the original simple matters but in the process pushes everything apart agene then the process repeats its self each time creating more complex matter and pushing things apart etc etc until we get to the last big bang that created all the different complex matters that are making up our universe today.

17. Odyracer18

Odyracer18 Member

GPU:
    POV GF 8800gt
    Sorry but i thought that the andromeda galaxy was about 2,500,000 light years far(wikipedia) ,so 156 light years is realy small as a size measurment of the WHOLE universe

18. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    has Anybody ever proved that time exists? Do you think it does?

One could argue that aging is proof of time.. but then how would someone explain things that never age.

If time existed then I could believe in time travel but then I have to ask: does time always move on, or are we really the ones moving through time while it stands still.?

19. smnoamls

smnoamls Maha Guru

GPU:
    So so sorry, i meant 156 billion light years, my bad.
    Sorry, this time you are mistaken. There have not been many big bangs. There was just one, the "explosion" of one potential point (best translation i can find from hebrew) and the rest were just fusion reactions as a result of gravity and just the going on mayham.

Matter in the universe is only created by fusion / fission. The first matter was hydrogen , turning to helium and so on and so forth.
    One big bang, not many. Nothing before it.

The problem is usually that we as humans cant really comprehend a real start. Everything we experience is a process: We live, before we live, our parents live.
    For a long time i looked for a metaphor for something which has an absolute start. I once said (in once of my earlier classes when i was even stupider) "Think of a book. It ends. The characters dont have an extra life OUTSIDE the realm of the book". It was a good example, until i found out i hated it. the reader remembers the characters. He creates context for the existance in a way.
    But the universe does not NECESSARILY need a previously on its start. It began at t=0 in time. There is no -40 years.

I have this link, http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-string-theory.htm

I have not read it to the end :))) but it seems concise.

20. masterchiefx2

masterchiefx2 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 280 Sli
    i recon there are billions of universes this is just one of many