A Thread About The Universe

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Pill Monster, Sep 28, 2009.

1. SnooSnoo

SnooSnoo Maha Guru

GPU:
    Intel HD510
    Here's how big is the universe we can observe. Up till now.

2. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    40,000,000 light years iirc..

3. thecake90

thecake90 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 1060GTX
  4. nvlddmkm

nvlddmkm Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX285
    Since Time itself is an inherent aspect of the Universe and taking the Many Worlds Interpretation into consideration, the Universe has a starting point but continues infinitely.

Soo many intelligent responses but yet none have factored in time itself.

5. reno_skychaser

reno_skychaser Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX R9 290 4GB
  6. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080TI
  7. Liranan

Liranan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6870 1000/1200
    I stopped reading about this when I read A Brief History Of Time and realised I understand nothing. People usually want a simplified version of events and, when it comes to astronomy, there isn't one and that's when my mind stopped being able to cope with it. I still read about all the theories, and we have come a long way in the past 20 years but the thing that I am still waiting for is when we are able to bend space to form a wormhole or to create the Warp effect. Then we will have caught up with Star Trek, as the only two things we haven't discovered yet are the Replicator (E=MC2) and the Warp Drive.

I love astronomy. Sometimes I look at the photo's Hubble has taken and I have to fight back tears. The universe is unparalleled in beauty and majesty.

What is interesting is the discussion that was ongoing a few pages back about life. The idea of 'intelligent' life itself is proposterous. It's ludicrous to think that only carbon based life is possible in the vast expanse of the universe or that there is no other life at all, when we haven't even travelled anywhere other than the moon. There're bacteria living in baths of boiling sulphur and yet we cling to the idea that life needs water and oxygen.

The reason why many believe there is no other life is simple: we can't possibly live with the idea that we might not be the masters of the universe, like we are on earth, and that we can be wiped out just as easily as we are wiping many species on this planet out.

Then there's the idea of intelligence. What is intelligent life? Would you call human beings intelligent? Look at our great inventions, we're set to travel among the stars, so how can we not be intelligent? And yet we're nothing more than parasites. We're consciously destroying and making our own paradise uninhabitable in the name of greed and profit. Also we're nearly permanently at war with ourselves and eachother and we have come close to total annihilation several times, and that fear and threat isn't subsiding.

I believe we're intelligent but not intelligent enough to overcome our simple weakness, greed, to realise that we might drive ourselves to extinction. While extinction is a part of nature and is accepted by many, while specy after specy disappears, nobody will be able to simply accept that we are the greatest threat to ourselves.

Next time you think we're intelligent think of Agent Smith's words and then reconsider our 'intelligence'.

At the end of the day humanity knows nearly nothing about the universe and is arrogant about it, knowing that we live on the outer edge of our own galaxy, in an area that is very sparse with planets.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2010
  8. Duke Nil

Duke Nil Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    says who? :)

9. Anubis

Anubis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 760 4GB
    imho you can't measure it, or better said the size is [​IMG]

I mean.. there isn't just a wall of bricks at the "end" of it.. There must be something..
    It's the same as how they thought the earth is flat, and you just drop down when reaching the edge.. That's impossible..

10. nvlddmkm

nvlddmkm Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX285
    LOL Humor is good to have in a thread like even this! Good one, man. :)

11. maleficarus™

maleficarus™ Banned

GPU:
    ASUS GTX460 800/1600/4000
    It is as big as my eyes can see. What I don't or can't see dosen't exsist. If a tree falls in a forest it dosen't make any sound because I didn't personally hear it lol

12. Phragmeister

Phragmeister Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 4GB
  13. llerenaprincipe

llerenaprincipe Ancient Guru

GPU:
    DIAMOND X1950XTX 512MB, 650/2000Mhz
    holy molly!
    i feel so insignificant =P
    I AM insignificant
    saying insicnificant means I actually MEAN something
    dooes HUMANITY mean anything?

14. Duke Nil

Duke Nil Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080
  15. nvlddmkm

nvlddmkm Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX285
    Surely, you were kidding to the utmost definitive of degrees!!!! Good one again!! :D

Perhaps you should do more that a simpleton google search to rile posts. Try actual learning. It helps to alleviate ignorance

16. Terrorizor

Terrorizor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX260 SC
  17. Duke Nil

Duke Nil Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    Did you read the article? It's actually pretty good. A little hard to wrap your mind around, but it did make what people mean by saying "time is an illusion" a bit clearer for me :smoke:

The point was that whether or not time is an "inherent aspect of the universe" isn't a decided debate.

18. nvlddmkm

nvlddmkm Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX285
    Boy my last post sounded kinda flamey. Sorry 'bout that chief, it was unintentional.
    Sure, Time as perceived can be an illusion, but I think though were getting to apples vs. oranges.

19. Vector

Vector Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 770 FTW 4gb w/bkplate
    It's definitely bigger that Walmart!

20. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    New pics from the Hubble, celebrating it's 20th anniversary.

[​IMG]

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/pic...623429/Pictures-of-the-day-23-April-2010.html