A Thread About The Universe

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Pill Monster, Sep 28, 2009.

1. RandyB

RandyB Banned

GPU:
    HIS HD4870/Samsung2343BWX
    I'm not disputing that the elements are the same. I just think that there's a lot more going on out there than our minds can comprehend.

2. Passion Fruit

Passion Fruit Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    This.

Too many Wikipedia professors in here ;)

3. RandyB

RandyB Banned

GPU:
    When I'm deep in meditation, there is NO sense of time at all. An hour will seem like a few minutes because I have mentally suspended time. Has anyone heard of "Lucid Dreaming"? I do it quite a bit when I'm in meditation. It's very cool! ;)

4. Duke Nil

Duke Nil Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    I haven't really been keeping up w/ most of this thread, so I don't know what posts you are referring to and therefore maybe don't quite get what you mean, but "mechanical time" as you've referred to it is simply an attempt at quantifying our perception of our travel through the dimension known as time. Granted it is vastly oversimplified, as our travel through time is known to be decidedly non-linear, and there are also multiple ways of defining it such as our cognitively-perceptive version of time, the thermo-dynamic version of time (meaning the flow through which things go from states of order to states of disorder), the universal-expansion version of time (in which the universe goes from compacted to expanded), etc, but it is still definitely related in the same way that measurements of distance are related to 3-dimensional space (which is also known to be non-linear)

Sorry if that got a little jumbled, im pretty baked and listening to electric wizard and having trouble focusing

5. UnclePappi

UnclePappi Banned

GPU:
    Asus 680 2gb 1250mhz
    Just drop acid, much less work and time will warp in all directions(well, at least that's what you'll be thinking). I only did it a couple times when I got out of high school but that shat is off the wall.

6. RandyB

RandyB Banned

GPU:
    Purple mic?:banana:

7. nvlddmkm

nvlddmkm Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX285
    "Today, young men on acid realize that all mater is just energy condensed to a slow vibration. That we are all one consciousness, experiencing itself subjectively. There is no such thing as death. Life is only a dream and we are just an imagination of ourselves. Here is tom with the weather..."
    -Bill Hicks-

I will say the "trip" can give you a sense of the infinite and allow your mind to experience oneness with the universe and it's diverse experience of infinite reality.

Zen does that as well and it's legal and much cheaper. Actually, it's free. :)

8. Wicky

Wicky Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon 5850
    Time as as thing, entity does not exist? I don't think so.
    According to my plan, the universe is made out of 3 things:
    Mass, Distance, and Time. The three-fold universe!

Let's hear some opinions:
    Einstein: According to relative mass growth, time is a fundamental structure to sequence and compare events.

Descartes:
    I think, therefore I am. To think, I need a brain which has a certain Mass, and occupied a certain Space, and some time to process all data. Therefore, for any given item to exist, it requires mass, distance and time.

God:
    And on the first day, I commanded that there be light in the darkness.
    See, on the first DAY. It was time, that it took him. Thus, time exists as an entity.

Now that I have made my point clear, and prooved that either Physicians, Religiuous-ians and Philosophers all together said that time exists, I am now heading towards you, UnrealGaming! I got everyone in the world as backup! Please read on!

****************** Part 2

You say, only energy and matter exist. And time does not exist as an entity.

1) Time is measured in (t) seconds.

2) Speed is measured in (s) = meter / second.
    Since I don't dare to ask you if speed does exist, because your answer must be: "No! Only energy and matter exist!!" ... I will continue.

3) Acceleration is measured in (a) = speed over time = m/s²
    Since time does not exist according to you, so does (a) neither.

4) Force is measured in Newton (f)= kg * accelleration = kg*m/s²
    How can force exist if time does not exist? Stupid me, of course it does not exist, sorry.

And the final last point:
    5) Energy is measured in Joule, a force applied to a distance (w)=force * m
    Thus energy is = kg* m²/s².

Thus, Energy does not exist! Hey wait a moment, Energy does exist!!

It was your very first statement, that only Matter and Energy exist!!!
    But energy = kg*m²/s² and s equals time. But time does not exist!!!

I really like a physical challenge. Sometimes it's harder, this time it was easier. You are simply wrong, hehehe!

Time as an entity DOES exist. Quod erat demonstrandum.
    The philosophers, the physicians and god, can't be wrong, when put in a box together. The universe is still made up of THREE things: Distance, mass, and time.

***** part 3: Back to topic: How big is the universe?

If the universe really has thousands of billions of galaxies, and each galaxy is made up of thousands of billions of stars containing planets, there is bound to be many extraterrestrial life forms. Considering the really long age of the universe, and the short time it took us to develope from a single cell to an intelligent human, we can safely assume that at least half of these alien species are far ahead of us in technology.

Now let's look at technology: We are already constructing 3 gigahertz computers only 50 years after inventing computers! Our lead scientists recently even constructed a quantum CPU, which is 100.000 times faster than current computers. Thus we can assume that these alien species are able to construct CPUs which can host almost infinitely complex virtual worlds.
    Chances are, that we all live in a big, constructed virtual world running on their computers. The universe might be what WE see and perceive.
    Thus the universe has no size. We are all connected to a virtual world like in the MATRIX, and is there proof?
    The speed of light, which no-one can surpass. It could as well be the speed of their CPU, processing our virtual world. So we can't surpass the SOL since the CPU of the world we are living in can't calculate it any faster. That's just a pure hypothesis. Or am I just trying to confuse you because I am one of the alien agents, trying to keep the human population calmed down? :D

Last edited: Oct 13, 2009
  9. Passion Fruit

Passion Fruit Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    How can you judge that half of the alien species in the universe are more advanced than us when we have no basis of proof from which to work from?

We can't determine how advanced any species would be based on our own progress. Most may not be as cognitively advanced as us (Neanderthal for example)

But to be honest, the whole "the world is the Matrix" theory is a load of crap and i wont even entertain it even as a joke ;)

10. nvlddmkm

nvlddmkm Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX285
    Passion fruit, the Fermi Paradox revolves around "How can you judge that half of the alien species in the universe are more advanced than us when we have no basis of proof from which to work from?"

It's a really good read. :)

11. masterchiefx2

masterchiefx2 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 280 Sli
    i know this will sound not at all open minded but i do believe we are the only 'intelligent' living beings, i mean everything was perfected i mean to get the planet in this condition, the moon, being within correct distance of a perfectly sized star, having water but not too much or too little, having all the processess which created an atmosphere, oxygen, vegetation, carbon dioxide. Having a larger planet to defend against asteroids. i mean i doubt if this could be replicated again, maybe in an infinite universe. Its an almost impossible scenario to create.

12. Wicky

Wicky Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon 5850
    Actually most of them are more advanced than us according to probability, hehe.
    Because the universe is 50 billion of years old. And it only takes 15 million years to advance from a single cell to a complex entity which can construct computers. So if, you have an entirely huge load of planets, and alien species created randomly among time, the average will have formed about 25 billion years ago. These evolved into computer constructing species after 15 millions years. That leaves them to invent new tech for a whooping 24 billion 985 million years, ahead of us!
    Wouldn't you believe that humankind will be able to emulate a whole universe inside it's computers in 24 billion years from now?

OH , by the way this is also somewhat of a proof that travelling faster than speed of light will NEVER, EVER be possible. Because a species that sprung to life 25 billions of years ago would have conquered the entire universe by now, if it was possible :D j/k

This whole Matrix thing is really just meant to entertain. I myself don't believe in it either, but it's interesting to try to counter it.

13. masterchiefx2

masterchiefx2 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 280 Sli
    ehh the universe is not 50 billion years old thats the expected age before it goes tits up. somewhere around 13-14 billion years old i thought. Of course we wont be here in 24 billion years hell ill be suprised if humans are not extinct in 1000 years. wait for the next intelligent life to come to power and dig up our remains and put us in a museum.

14. masterchiefx2

masterchiefx2 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 280 Sli
    Also why do people always think alien species will have technology i really dont think this will happen.

15. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    I was referring to a few posts (not gonna search 'em out) that were clearly having trouble understanding the concept. I'm no expert, by any means. But what I meant to say was not that they were completely unrelated in fact, what I meant to say was that trying to understand the concept of space-time by visualizing mechanical time is going to get you nowhere.

16. FSPILOT

FSPILOT Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 980 SLI
    That number actually comes from the WMAP that meassured the electromagnetic noise left from the big bang, but doesn't really say the actual age. for that we would have to be at the very center of the universe and be able to measure ALL of the "noise" left by the big bang, wish is imposbile to do since the expansion of time and space is actually faster than light itself. So we are only "seeing" whatever has reached us, not the real age. There have been found big glaxies and even starts with heavy elements that date to more than 13.7 billion years, wish would be imposible in a very young universe if the theory of the big bang is correct.

Well, we are here because everything you mention , not the other way around. Meaning that the sun is not the correct size, or the moon is at the correct distance just because there are humans here. We are here because the "perfect" conditions are met for our species. And acording to resent studies, our sun, is not the "perfect" star for civilizations to form. our star has a life span of about 10 billion years, and about 65% of that time the sun is not harmful for complex life. Perfect stars are red dwarfs that last tens of billions of years at the same size and temperature (wish by the way, is the mos common type of star in the known universe)

17. Passion Fruit

Passion Fruit Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    We can see the universe in it's visable form for up to 13.5 billion light years, but its widely believed that the universe is much much older, expanding faster than the speed of light, hence the universe is larger than can be seen in the electro magnetic spectrum.

Thanks, ill take a read later on :)

If planets couldn't form in this condition at all, then we wouldn't be here talking about it. The facts say they clearly do. Of course you aren't going to get an Earth like planet with a moon, the right distance from a main sequence star in every solar system, or even a smaller majority of them, but theres nothing to say that doesn't happen elsewhere.

Suffice to say though, the chances of intelligent life forming on a planet with similar conditions to Earth (the moon for example) are higher, as it stabilizes the earth's tilt on it's axis, thus taming the climate.

With the amount of stars in the amount of galaxies present in our universe, it would be silly to think at least one star system in that galaxy didn't form under similar conditions as our own.

Because something sounds improbabable, it doesn't make it impossible.

18. masterchiefx2

masterchiefx2 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 280 Sli

interesting read thanks, i didnt know red dwarfs could be the size of the sun

19. Duke Nil

Duke Nil Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    Ever heard of the anthropic principal?

*Edit just saw 2 other guys posted a/b it already

20. Passion Fruit

Passion Fruit Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    They aren't. A Red Dwarf star the same size and mass of the sun wouldn't be a Red Dwarf, it would be a star pretty similar to our own.

The definition of a Red Dwarf is a low mass star that converts Hydrogen only into Helium, it doesn't contain any of the heavier metals of stars such as our own.

Red Dwarf's mass on average is a lot lower than the Sun. They aren't as luminous, they're cooler and thus their habitable zone is much closer than ours is to our own star.

There's a lot of reasons why the "perfect" star for life is not a Red Dwarf, or more to the point, it's not a perfect star for the evolution of "intelligent" life.

One reason is that an Earth like planet would have to be so close to the star, they'd be tidally locked, the same way our moon is to Earth. If you don't know what that means, basically one side of the planet will permanently face the sun, while the other will obviously face perpetual darkness.