A Thread About The Universe

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Pill Monster, Sep 28, 2009.

1. RandyB

RandyB Banned

GPU:
    HIS HD4870/Samsung2343BWX
    The universe is spectacular and awesome to look at, but could you imagine, say, energy that shoots out from a massive sun to a distance of 500,000 miles, instantly vaporizing everything in it's path? :bigsmile:

Last edited: Oct 12, 2009
  2. wubbles

wubbles Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX560Ti 1Ghz
    Solar flares? Still the sun is 93,000,000 miles away. At 500,000 miles you would burn up anyway.

3. masterchiefx2

masterchiefx2 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 280 Sli
    the sun isnt as small as i recently thought at least its in the medium tier of star size so its actually a relief makes feel a little more signifcant.

4. UnclePappi

UnclePappi Banned

GPU:
    Asus 680 2gb 1250mhz
    It's not the size of the star that matters.... It's the motion in the ocean that... wait, that doesn't make sense

5. masterchiefx2

masterchiefx2 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 280 Sli
    lol its good cos it rhymes ^^

well larger stars only live a few millions years well the really massive stars so medium sized is where its at...

6. UnrealGaming

UnrealGaming Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Let me give you the "ultimate" answer ! :p

The universe IS energy and matter !
    Everything that "happens" and "exists" is energy and matter and reactions between them.
    Is there TIME ? Nop, there is no "thing" that is TIME . TIME is simply a word with which we describe certain changes that occur due to "reactions" between energy and matter or just changes in energy's "quality".
    Is there SPACE ? Well, same as TIME. What we call SPACE is simply "a space" which is occupied by energy and matter.
    Is "universe" infinite ? No, its borders are: the end of energy's and matter's existence. But for us, IT IS "infinite". As far as we go, we can only move where there is energy. Basically even if we were faster the photons, and try to move towards "the end", then we would just be THE energy that expands the universe instead of photons. Of course WE, cannot move faster then photons, since we are energy and matter combined. And "matter part" would have to be completely gone and "the quality" of energy that is part of us would have to change. Making US not exist in this "complex" form, but simply as "elementary particles".
    But then again the question comes to mind. What do you consider to be UNIVERSE . Do you consider it to be all the energy and matter combined ? But how can you , if you don't know all types of energy and matter ...Then the answer would be limited just to what you know, and not what it actually is. So is UNIVERSE just a word representing our knowledge limitation ? Of course it is.
    So basically you really do need to define what do you mean by "Universe", before expecting any concrete answers, if such exist.

7. Wicky

Wicky Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon 5850
    But, if there was no TIME I could simply plant an apple seed into the ground and PLOP - a tree would stand there.

You are not entirely wrong though... if something is moving exactly the speed of light, then yes for this something, time would cease to exist. But only then!

8. drouge

drouge Master Guru

GPU:
    2x HIS HD5970
    What if one galaxy is moving at the speed of light away from another galaxy moving at the speed of light?

9. UnrealGaming

GPU:
    -
    whatever, you don't understand ... Read again if you didn't get something.
    If you really knew what you are talking about... You would understand.
    As i said there is no "thing" that is time. Time isn't a 4. dimension or something. You can't travel trough it, because its not "thing". Its simply a word we you use to describe certain changes that occur due to "reactions" between energy and matter or just changes in energy's "quality". Of course, you need a solid knowledge about each of these things i mentioned you understand, probably ...
    But let me put it more simple. Basically instead of saying all the "reactions" it took for an apple to grow... we skip all that and just say, it took 5 months . And thats all there is to it ( time ). It is simply part of a fundamental intellectual structure (together with space and number) within which humans sequence and compare events. But time as an entity, does not exist.

10. RandyB

RandyB Banned

GPU:
    I never took 'physics', formally, but I posses much knowlege (self taught). Your's is definitely the most insightful post ever - and makes perfect sense! Congrats! :bigsmile:

11. Xendance

Xendance Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce 570
    Well matter is just another form of energy, they're the same in the grand scale of things.

And you can't say that there isn't time. Time represents the level of entropy in the universe. As the time goes on, the level of entropy rises in the universe. And last time I heard there isn't anything that would keep it from going into another direction. And if that's true, theoretically it would be possible that the time is changing direction all the time, but we just can't notice it.

It's not possible. Only particles with zero mass can move at the speed of light.

12. UnrealGaming

GPU:
    -
    Of course. Just didn't want to even get into that, coz it would maybe confuse and redirect average reader, that already has "clear" picture ... Energy lll Matter .

13. nvlddmkm

nvlddmkm Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX285
    "Time is what keeps everything from happening all at once."
    I think that was Einstein.

Yes, UnrealGaming...very excellent postings. :)

14. UnrealGaming

GPU:
    -
    Ty ;)

Ty :p

15. Wicky

Wicky Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon 5850
    If 1kg is accelerated, it's mass grows. -> Einstein
    It may have for example a relative mass of 500kg near speed of light. But speed is distance over TIME? How do you explain that!

You can physically measure the TIME by comparing it's relative mass with it's rest mass, and say: Ah, at it's current speed it must travel over a distance of 300.000 Kilometers in WHAT TIME? -> 1.1 seconds, that's why there are 500kg instead of 1kg. According to your theory, a 500kg mass is different than 1 kg.

And if I followed your theory, then speed does also not exist?
    Go watch a video and press the PAUSE button on the VCR, coming to halt at one random picture. In this single moment, speed of the objects on the picture isn't measurable. Time isn't measurable. Then you are correct.

Now that we are done with time, tell me: Does "speed" exist according to your theory? A simple yes or no would suffice.

16. panZEr330

panZEr330 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX280 @666/2333
    Pressing pause on a VCR doesn't freeze the subatomic particles where they are until you press play again...

17. UnrealGaming

GPU:
    -

Okay... Einstein used "time" as fundamental intellectual structure (together with space and number) to sequence and compare events. To help him calculate speed... etc. I've got no problem with that. Infact I am saying that "time" is exactly that. But also that time as "thing", entity, does not exist.

18. RandyB

RandyB Banned

GPU:
    No one can prove that our 'physics' apply to the rest of the universe. The fact is that we know relatively nothing about the vast expanse that we call the universe. ;)

19. Xendance

Xendance Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce 570
    But isn't it amazing how it does work on almost everything at the moment? :p

20. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    I don't like this idea here. I think it's a flawed thought. For instance, we can tell from the spectrums of radiation that comes from stars many many light years away, even in other galaxies, that the spectral analysis of that radiation is exactly like elements (like Hydrogen and Helium) that we know of in our own section of the Universe. Given that such a distant place has the same elements as here, we have to assume they were formed under similar circumstances using similar laws or theories of physics.

I would also like to say, as an overarching theme of the thread, that I notice a lot of you do not distinguish between Space-time and mechanical time. We look at watches to tell mechanical time which is nothing like and has ultimately nothing to do with space-time. This is the hang up for a lot of people in this thread.

Hopefully all that was clear enough.