a SSD! but wich 1?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Trolle, Jun 20, 2010.

1. Trolle

Trolle Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX3070
    hey
    im currently looking to upgade my pc a bit(replacing the e6600 with q6600 g0 wich i got cheap)
    im planning to replace my boot hdd with a ssd and get win7(finally!)
    now my question is wich ssd i should get?
    with the ammount of different ssd's and chipsets being available i kinda lost track(and me being on a budget doesnt help either)
    so here are the contenders:
    OCZ agility2 60gb

ocz vertex2 50gb

corsair extreme series x64 64gb

Kingston SNVP325-S2B/64GB

IntelĀ® X25-M G2 Postville 80 GB (the most expensive of the lot)

i kinda got no clue :)
    i've read reviews but still no dice :)

greetz trolle

Last edited: Jun 20, 2010
  2. ForMol

ForMol Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabite GTX 980ti Xtreme
    I would go for one of the 2 OCZ models ... I just trust them more

3. Svein_Skogen

Svein_Skogen Maha Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX570, ASUS+eVGA
    I have the 160GB variant of the X25-m. It doesn't shine on synthetic single-threaded benchmarks, but where it really shines, is the sheer IOPS it can manage. If your workload is "****load of io operations" versus "just need transfer rate for that one file", the intel is your friend.

//Svein

4. Trolle

Trolle Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX3070
    its just for a bootdisk and maybe a game on it if i have space on it left(no idea how big win7 is)
    so basicly the cheapest of these will do?

5. dockap

dockap Master Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 470 sli
    right now the king of the hill is the ocz vertex 2

6. Outrance

Outrance Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x HD6950 950Mhz/1350Mhz
    Sorry man, I just got back from another similar post. Why the hell do you want to put a SSD in that system? You won't notice much of a real world difference. In fact, I will go out on a limb here and say that it's just plain stupid. Save your $ for a complete re-build.

7. Nato.dbnz

Nato.dbnz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5870 Crossfire
    What are you talking about? Boot times and general windows performance will be much faster than on a platter drive. It doesn't take an i7 to make a difference in those areas. I have in Intel 80Gb SSD in my rig and the difference is night and day. Windows boots incredibly fast and apps open with next to no waiting. Sure it does nothing for gaming performance but as far as increasing the enjoyment I get out of my rig it has been the best upgrade I've ever made.

8. Fusion_XT

Fusion_XT Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080 X 2139/5400
    What are you smoking dude ?! No real world difference :3eyes:

I never wanna go back to a mech. drive like ever!
    The best upgrade i ever made for my laptop/main rig in years!

I mean sure when gaming you wont notice any difference tho some lvl's do load faster but other then that, then yes you are correct.

But booting up, browsing, scanning, loading apps etc ... ITS ONE HELL OF A DIFFERENCE !!

My first SSD was a Intel X25M Gen2 80Gb for my laptop (Samsung R720 Intel P7350,4GB,9600GT etc) wich i bought a few months ago. Back then my main rig was a Q6600@3.2Ghz, 4GB,P5NE-32,GTX285 and a Raptor 150GB, i ran a side by side comparison and my latop was faster with everything cept gaming ofcourse.

When my laptop was finished booting up i could immediately start up a browser and msn without any problem, on my main rig though i had to wait till my virus scanner had loaded in to my mem same for my network and msn etc.. Wich i all had running on my laptop too but as soon as im on my desktop its done! no more loading and **** .. its done!

Now a few months later (new rig in sig ofcourse) im running my main rig with a 30GB OCZ Vertex Turbo SSD and a 160GB Intel X25M Gen2 SDD. And i can tell you its UBER FAST!

If he buys a 50GB or bigger drive for windows and his favorite's programs, he will think he bought himself a new rig!, thats what i had when i bought mine for my laptop!

9. nvlddmkm

nvlddmkm Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX285
    I use this for OS drive and although it isn't the "penultimate, top dog, E-Peen spectacular, will get you laid in seconds.." it is pretty dramatic and OMG-worthy in itself. 24 secs to desktop from BIOS beep and pretty much instantness of everything loaded on it. Plus it's enough to hold OS, updates, a few goodies, and it won't break the bank either.

10. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    I have been researching SSDs this evening and came to the conclusion that the best SSD to get without spending a fortune is the Ocz Vertex 2E, especially if you have SATA 6GB/s.
    Even the 60GB model has max write speeds in excess of 250MB/s.
    It has had a bad problem with a firmware update tool bricking drives but that seems to be sorted now.

Crucials C300 64GB drive is worth a look as it isnt bad for the price ($150).
    Its very quick for reads but writes seem to top out at 75MB/s.
    http://www.crucial.com/store/partspecs.aspx?IMODULE=CTFDDAC064MAG-1G1

If you have the money get the Vertex 2E.

Dude, its easy to research this with google.
    If you have experience that differs, can you detail what happened?

11. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    i have the Real ssd, i'm happy with it