a question regarding v sync and other limiters

Discussion in 'Computer Monitor Forum' started by hitman3617, Jan 25, 2023.

Tags:
  1. hitman3617

hitman3617 Member

GPU:
    RTX 3060TI oc
    (60hz as the scenario) just in theory guys...,,if i set my rtss limit to 60 and the games v sync is also locking it to 60, just in theory would the two limiters clash with each other ? or dosent the v sync 60 lock not count as a limiter ?, if someone could answer this please

i mean it would matter if i set an rtss limit and an in game limit the same at 60 as the limiters could possibly clash, but is it the same with v sync and in game limit at same value ?(60)

Last edited: Jan 25, 2023
  2. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
    V-sync is not really a limiter. It doesn't actively cap FPS to some specific value. It unconditionally blocks the last part of the frame presentation chain, which happens after the game has already presented the frame already and has gone on to process more frames. It only looks at whether or not the display is ready to show a new frame. The purpose is to prevent the frame being sent to the display before its ready. The FPS cap is a side effect of that. Another side effect is that you get a lot of input lag.

An actual limiter will apply a cap on each and every frame by looking at how much time has passed since the previous frame. This also means there no input lag increase, because the game is prevented from processing more frames before the current one has been presented.

There is no conflict. Not only that, but using v-sync together with the RTSS limiter is a very good way to reduce v-sync lag. See this small "low latency vsync" guide I wrote a while back:

https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/the-truth-about-pre-rendering-0.365860/page-12#post-5380262

hitman3617 likes this.
  3. hitman3617

hitman3617 Member

GPU:
    RTX 3060TI oc
    thank you so much for your reply is means alot , so putting an fps limit to 60 then v sync (also 60) wont clash like say rtss 60 and in game fps limit 60 would right ?

4. hitman3617

hitman3617 Member

GPU:
    RTX 3060TI oc
    and rtss would then be the only limiter in effect right ?

5. hitman3617

hitman3617 Member

GPU:
    RTX 3060TI oc
    if using v sync 60 and 60 rtss lock

6. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
    Just read the post I linked to how to configure the RTSS limiter to exactly what you need (it's not 60.)

hitman3617 likes this.
  7. hitman3617

hitman3617 Member

GPU:
    RTX 3060TI oc
    yes ive read that thank you , sent you a pm ., from reading that i can see that it would be a good idea then if setting fps limit with v sync (60hz) , to set it about 1 under ? so 59, or alternatively is setting 59.5 possible ?

8. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
    You measure your Hz in the sites I linked to, and then cap 0.01 lower. If your Hz is 59.94, you cap with RTSS to 59.93.

hitman3617 likes this.