a question on LOD.

Discussion in 'RivaTuner Advanced Discussion forum' started by omga14, Feb 17, 2005.

1. omga14

omga14 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD3850 745/915 for now
    what does it do and what are the difference's between LOD 0 and LOD 5? i have the 6800gt and have seen some people mentioning use of this but i don't know what i should set mine to or where to set it in rivatuner. i'd like to know what it does and the difference between 0 and 5 settings. perfomance hit but better graphics? or better graphics no perfomance hit? thanks for any info or links.

2. HanShot1st

HanShot1st Maha Guru

GPU:
    2x 4870 512mb DDR5
    I think if you google it, you will find all the answers, but in short: LOD is better known as "Mipmap LOD Bias Adjustment." It reduces/increases the detail of textures and makes the card do less/more work.

Edit: LOD= level of detail...

So it actually can be used for better graphics or worse graphics. Most ppl use it to reduce textures and thus better benchmarks.

It's under the DirectX settings within Rivatuner, and unless you're a power user, heh, you can only go + or - 3. For high benchmarks you want to increase the LOD. But in truth it doesnt ALWAYS increase scores, it depends on the game test, so you have to know what you are doing to some extent. Maxing out the LOD isnt always going to improve your benchmarks...

When playing games, I always have it set at 0.

3. Subtestube

Subtestube Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GV-N68128DH 6800 NU
    Bear in mind that increasing level of detail won't necessarily improve graphics - mipmapping was originally developed as a way to reduce aliasing, not to increase speed. If your LOD is 'incorrect' in that it's too detailed at a given distance (i.e, it transitions too close to one, or too far away), you'll see aliasing. Likewise, if it's too undetailed too close, textures will look bollocks - it's a tuning thing really.

4. HanShot1st

HanShot1st Maha Guru

GPU:
    2x 4870 512mb DDR5
    what is aliasing? ok just a little joke...

the fact that futuremark has essentially approved the use of LOD blows my mind, but what can you do? If you can't beat them, join 'em.

LOD is our own little nvidia+ fm tweak/cheat, perfect for those last hundred points in the benchmarks.

5. Unwinder

Unwinder Moderator Staff Member

Try to read context help for LOD bias slider.