a problem has been detected and windows has been shut dwn to prevent further damage

Discussion in 'General Software and Applications' started by ATI_JAMES, Mar 19, 2007.

1. ATI_JAMES

ATI_JAMES Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 680
    This is the error message i keep recieving when i try to install COD2 can anybody help me please? the game has been installed on my pc before without any prob but now this happens every time

2. mar-one

mar-one Member Guru

GPU:
    Evga / GTX550Ti / SLI 4g
    have you tried to reinstall windows, something might be corrupt

3. GSXRmrbusa

GSXRmrbusa Banned

GPU:
    EVGA 8800gts 320 x 2 SLI@stock
    This error is caused by a driver issue 99.9999% of the time. I would try to reinstall dx9 and your drivers before taking any drastic action.

4. darknight909

darknight909 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 2080
    are you kidding me? thats not the answer

is there an error number it gives you in some hex form or something else?

5. snowolves

snowolves Master Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor ATi Radeon 9550 128M
    I saw a bluescreen showing this several times.
    It's ususally caused by driver problems or video card too hot.
    If you suspect COD2 caused it,why not try uninstalling it?

6. bug77

bug77 Banned

GPU:
    Palit 8800GT
    Not really. It's usually a virus that causes a critical service to shutdown.

7. Animatrix

Animatrix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT OC2 512
    That message is of little help, what about the actual error message ?

There is no reason for why an installer would cause a BSOD. In fact i don't really see how unless helped by something. The only system related files i can think of which a game installer may install is DirectX files and i have never heard of a BSOD on a DirectX update.

Are you installing from a retail DVD or using a virtual drive and an image ?

Malware is not out of the question.

A diagnostic program may immediately close and you may receive a "STOP 0x00000050" or "STOP 0x0000000A" error message in Windows Server 2003, Windows 2000, or Windows XP

google search: A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer

8. GSXRmrbusa

GSXRmrbusa Banned

GPU:
    EVGA 8800gts 320 x 2 SLI@stock
    Since I have been PCing I have never seen a virus cause this particular BSOD shutdown message. This one is always related to driver files being corrupt or missing. Having missing or corrupt driver system files is different than not having any drivers installed at all and that might cause the COD2 install problem.

This message is not from a service being shut down, it is because all of windows is being shut down. A virus writer usually doesn't want this to happen. They want people to sweat it out and not know they have a virus for awhile.

9. Animatrix

Animatrix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT OC2 512
    Actually your both right, but that's ok. And as i said the message do not point to anything at all. It is a very generic message used after some BSOD's. You need the actual error message in order to know more.

kb 897079 CAUSE: Sdbot virus

kb 894278 CAUSE: Rootkit, kernel driver

kb 310628 CAUSE: Easy CD Creator 5.0 compatibility issues.

kb 905539 CAUSE: Symantec pcAnywhere (sys file)