A Present for My 14 Year old Brother.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Zer0Cool, Aug 2, 2007.

1. Zer0Cool

Zer0Cool Member

GPU:
    - ATI X1950XTX -
    My younger brother’s birthday is coming up in 2 weeks and my friend suggested a great gift for him, but I need to make sure that its going to work, so here it is.

I want to buy my brother an LCD TV, but the goal is to make sure he can use that monitor to watch TV, connect his PC to it so he can play games and connect his PS2. Now my brother’s room is very small so all he need to do when he finishes playing PC is just to turn it to the right and he can easily watch TV from his bed.

Now the size that I have in mind maybe around 24’’ not sure et…
    Will he be able to play his PC games normally on an LCD TV? How will this effect his game play?

I need the TV to have all the proper connections so he can plug in all this 3 things, and just use his remove to switch from one to another. And I am guessing that I will need some kind of a stand, so that the TV can be placed on his desk like a PC.

Price range is probably $600 max. Can someone help me to find the right LCD TV please that will meet all this criteria’s.

Thanks.

2. fischju

fischju Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Visiontek Radeon HD 4850
    1. Can I be your brother?
    2. You need to know the connections his video card has, and what the TV has. If they are compatible, he should be able to play them normally.
    3. If the TV is SD, it will look bad for PC games, you would need either a PC monitor with the same input as whatever your TV bx outputs, or an HDTV

3. Pat the Cat

Pat the Cat Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia 6800 Ultra 425/1120
    OK. Best to get a PC monitor which also has a video input (phono composite, S-VHS style or HDMI style).

You can get TVs which can also take computer inputs, but they are usually low resolution like the above poster has pointed out.

One important question - how do you plan to get the TV signal into the screen? In places with digital terrestrial TV, it's just plugging in a TV antenna and a seperate box.

Or, maybe you have cable, and it's just plugging in a phono connector from the cable TV box into the (phono connector on) the new screen.

4. Zer0Cool

Zer0Cool Member

GPU:
    - ATI X1950XTX -
    Sorry fischju, having 1 brother is more then enough for me :D

You sad “If the TV is SD”, what is SD?

A bit confuzing...What he haz is a regular antena, that you just plug in in the pack of a tv monitor.

5. Pat the Cat

Pat the Cat Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD = High Definition.

SD = Standard Definition.

Like I said, how your brother currently gets his TV signal is the $64,000 question.

6. Zer0Cool

Zer0Cool Member

GPU:
    - ATI X1950XTX -
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2007
  7. fischju

fischju Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Visiontek Radeon HD 4850
    Well, the best bet would be getting a TV Tuner for his PC with it, they are pretty cheap. That way, you can pick any monitor his PC can output to.
    A Dell 2407WFP or Samsung 244T would be a good choice

8. Pat the Cat

Pat the Cat Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aye, that's true. But there is one snag with doing that - everytime he wants to watch TV he has to turn the PC on as well as the screen.

First - when looking on Newegg (or anywhere else) check the connectors on the monitor. Click the Specifications tab on Newegg and just what can be plugged in will be displayed.

I suspect you will also need a decoder to go between the antenna and the phono/S-VHS/HDMI socket on the monitor.

But that way, he doesn't have to turn on the PC everytime he wants to watch TV.

9. fischju

fischju Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Visiontek Radeon HD 4850
    The monitor itself would be very close if not over the $600....how much more would a decoder cost compared to a TV Tuner?

10. Pat the Cat

Pat the Cat Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I was thinking maybe $400-$500 for the monitor and maybe $70-$100 for the decoder.

Decoders are currently very cheap locally to me (like, $20 equivalent) but they could be more expensive where Zer0Cool is.

Something like....

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824255001

There's a HELLUVA selection, and I just picked that one at random. Suggest you google for reviews from your shortlist Zer0Cool.

Oh, one advantage of doing it Fischju style (through a TV card, building the decoder into the PC) is that your brother can then record TV programmes onto his PC. That might be a good reason to turn it on... although most TV cards have indifferent recording quality.

11. Pat the Cat

Pat the Cat Ancient Guru

GPU:
  12. Don Rockard

Don Rockard Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GTX/TR HR-03 Plus
    Can't help with the antenna (another continent) but 5 millisecond response is pretty good for playing games on the pc.

If the antenna works I'd say its a damn good choice. Samsung is pretty good when it comes to lcd's.

13. Zer0Cool

Zer0Cool Member

GPU:
    - ATI X1950XTX -
    Thanks for the replies guys, I found them very useful.

I just stepped out 4 lunch and went inside B&H an this is what i found "LN-T2342H 23" LCD HDTV with HDMI and PC Inputs"

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889102122

it has 8ms respond time so I think it will be good 4 gaming :D

What ya guys think ?.

14. Ali_NZ

Ali_NZ Master Guru

GPU:
    Strix GTX970
    that looks like a nice choice. whats his graphics card btw? to game at that resolution will need a decent card.

15. Sparx

Sparx Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus HD 6950 OC 2GB
    I wanna be your brother.. :( ! :p

16. Zer0Cool

Zer0Cool Member

GPU:
    - ATI X1950XTX -
    He haz an nvidia N6800

Also I am thinking of getting the same monitor for my self. Primarly I will be using it for games. Do u think it will hande the games nicely? I have X1950XTX Ati. I know its max res is 1366 x 768, but I never used anything more then 1280 x 1024 on my current CRT monitor....The res is the only thing that is holding me back...What do u guys think? How well will I be able to play games on it? games like WoW, CS 1.6, Bf2....etc

17. Ali_NZ

Ali_NZ Master Guru

GPU:
    Strix GTX970
    oh actually looking back at pat the cats post, the monitor he suggested (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001238) runs at 1680x1050 which would display things much more clearly when gaming atleast. but, for the ps2 to work with it, you might need some kind of adapter. if you do go for the one you found, the resolution wouldnt be a problem in terms of fps :)

Last edited: Aug 4, 2007
  18. Zer0Cool

Zer0Cool Member

GPU:
    - ATI X1950XTX -
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2007