A new spike in the price trend of graphics cards can be spotted

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 31, 2021.

1. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    2nd hand prices for GPU's also are high right now. I was surprised to see my GTX 1070, a 5 year old GPU up for €300.

Airbud and DannyD like this.
  2. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 390
    We will all have our opinions, which may not change, but as far as I've seen it, mining has had quite an effect. You might have missed them, but many of us have seen the photos from China, of industrial size mining facilies with hundreds or thousands of cards filling myriad shelves in commercial buildings. The photos made public are just the tip of the iceberg. It's also a verified fact that at least in Europe retailers only got ridiculously few cards for the longest of time. The cards simply disappeared somewhere before reaching Europe. They are all manufactured in China, more or less, so where could they have gone, hmm?

You can hear from regular people how folks who have no gaming hobby whatsoever were building new "gaming" PCs and buying gaming cards just for mining. Sometimes they asked PC savvy dudes to build the systems for them, if they themselves didn't have the skills. These zero gamers were competing with gamers for the few cards that reached the West.

Another unfortunate effect is that since miners are doing it purely for money, it's nothing but a calculation of cost and profit. If profit is high enough, it doesn't matter if the cards are stupidly expensive; they will pay themselves back. In fact, technically if you have a relevant business, you might be able to deduct the video cards from the taxes as an investment! This is probably exactly what all the net cafes (turned mining lairs) in Asia did. The point is that miners drive the prices up because the price might not matter to them, unlike to a gamer playing games for fun.

That being said, Covid did play a big role both in causing manufacturing delays and shifting consumption from travelling to buying all kinds of goods, including electronics.

3. fern374702

fern374702 Member

GPU:
    GTX 960 2GB
    i hope this will all be true to all game devs... if game developers prioritize optimization and gameplay and less BlingBling decors like Ray tracing and eyecandys., every gamer can play at acceptable FPS and will have a bit of positive impact to global warming/ pollution by minimizing Electronic waste.
    Constantly upgrading results to electronic waste ,AFAIK but correct me if i'm wrong with my math.. for every one GPU that we manufacture there is an equivalent of 3* GPUs worth of spare parts (VRMs, Memory, heatsink, copper , gold) this is because electronic-parts makers sell by Bulk to OEMs . Not all beyond-warranty GPUs can gets repaired or RMAed, so our defective Gpu goes directly to the garbage bag than spending more money to have it repaired by a Computer repair shop.

PS: Recycling still contributes to Pollution because the need to "Re-Cook" " Re-Melt" "and the fumes and residual waste due chemical processes are thrown in the air and rivers.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2021
    DannyD likes this.
  4. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1080 Mini

I can see me moving from the desktop PC gaming and just grabbing a steam deck for my steam account, and the consoles for everything else that requires 4k, rt hdr 60fps stuff.

Keitosha likes this.

5. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080ti FE
    The only way cards are gonna get even more expensive is if bitcoin goes up by a decent margin which would boost payout rate.
    Right now its around £35k, in May it was £45k, should it hit £60 - £70k we may see things go south even more.

Keitosha likes this.
  6. Backstabak

Backstabak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 5700xt
    Those farms and miners existed in previous generations too. There just wasn't so many other people wanting the cards on top of that. I did see the photos of farms in China, but there were similar photos of farms in prior years. Its just literally anecdotal evidence. Especially if it was really the case that all the manufactured cards ended up in Chinese farms, where are they now? China has banned cryptocurrencies, so why aren't those thousands of cards flooding the markets?

I understand the anger about current situation, but simply saying its the evil miners is wrong.

6600xt is very similar to 5700xt I have and its not a bad card, but it costs literally the same money I paid for 5700xt 2 years ago. Its ends up being basically the same card for the same money. And as denomination on it suggests, the price was just shifted by a tier up.

I agree with you though, If I really had to buy a new card now, I would look for a second hand 2080s too.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2021
    HandR and DannyD like this.
  7. mohiuddin

mohiuddin Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX670 4gb ll RX480 8gb
    Or....... forever for the days to come......

8. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 390
    I wouldn't know even if they were in the second hand market of China. However, the big players actually moved abroad. Why wouldn't they? They are million dollar businesses, and businesses move all the time to countries where the situation is more suitable. That's why manufacturing moved from the West to China back in the day, due to low cost labour and no environmental protection laws. If crypto laws in China become troublesome, the industrial miners will move elsewhere. Perhaps they also hoarded any cards small-time miners wanted to get rid of when the laws changed.

Just for the record, and I've said it before, but the miners aren't actually the real culprit. The real culprits are those who pump real money, be it euro, the various dollars, pounds, yen, yuan, whatever into the crypto scheme. Some of that money comes from genuine criminals, such as mafia laundering money, some come from eccentric billionaires like Elon Musk, some come from smaller investors with a good nose and timing, but some also come from simple, greedy people who dream of making money out of nothing. That last group naturally also funds all the ponzi schemes. All of these are the reason the crypto thrives and miners mine. Nobody would mine anything if there wasn't a chance to exchange the cryptocurrency into real money, goods, or services. Goods and services providers only accept it if they can use it further for their own expenses or turn it into real money.

9. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    1070 is closer to 400$ now. Interesting is that its one of the cheapest used 8gb gpus on the market.

10. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080ti FE
    The 10 series aren't good mining cards, sure they can blast out some decent numbers but their power consumption while mining is crap.

11. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 Ti
    im saying it openly tbh - if I can exchange a 3080 for an XSX and a 4K monitor,I'm not even gonna think twice

XP-200 and DannyD like this.
  12. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080ti FE
    I respect that.

13. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    No way i would give 3080 or 6800xt for a console. Are you insane?

14. cucaulay malkin

GPU:
    RTX 3060 Ti
  15. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB

16. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080ti FE
    You're cool as hell at times Undying.

Undying likes this.
  17. cucaulay malkin

GPU:
    RTX 3060 Ti
    nah there will be better deals for gpus than a 3080 at 1300eur

Airbud likes this.
  18. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    3070 at msrp would be nice.

cucaulay malkin likes this.
  19. cucaulay malkin

GPU:
    RTX 3060 Ti
    a 10g one

20. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1070 @2050Mhz
    Long live the GTX 1070, never did I imagine that I'd be keeping it beyond 5yr (Nov 2016), in fact I had initially expected to upgrade the GPU after 2 or 3 yrs to the Turing architecture (eg RTX 2070) but I was so unimpressed with Turing that I decided not to upgrade, especially as I knew Ampere was around the corner with good performance on a die shrink and more mature RT. Looks like my 6700K will live past my original expectation of 5 yrs too! Are we expecting the next gen NVidia to launch end of Summer next year? That will probably be when I buy new motherboard / CPU & GPU......additionally supply & demand should be back to normal I think.

Undying likes this.