A new spike in the price trend of graphics cards can be spotted

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 31, 2021.

1. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 Ti
    no it isn't,really

no rt
    no dx12 ultimate features

pascal,vega,RDNA1 - they're only worth it if you get one cheap.
    i bought a 1070 strix for 150eur last october. im not gonna spend 500 on a titan pascal.
    i'd prefer a 2070 over this.

2. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    2070 costs 550eur (cheapest i found here) and thats not even a super variant. Xp is faster than that.

3. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I'd buy it and just mine on it for a year. Free money.

DannyD likes this.
  4. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    I will pretend i didnt hear that.

5. cucaulay malkin

GPU:
    RTX 3060 Ti
    it doesn't have what im looking for in a 500 card
    yes it's faster,but it's also missing every modern feature
    rt,dlss,mesh shaders
    not gonna buy it and sell it in a years time with a loss

seriously,I'd rather buy a 3080 for 1200 than this.
    I thought it'll go lower,but someone snagged it.

6. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    Loking at comments above, thinking.... Hilbert, can we get dislike button on this forum from now on? This is nothing more than a sin... :mad:
    :p;)

Considering current situation and 500€ price tag, complete package... Atm this card is worth every single cent, maybe not for every gamer out there (probably worth for those who doesn't care about RT and DLSS) but for SW collectors. I know at least 2 persons here, hard core Star Wars fans/collectors, ready to throw in at the table close to 4-digit number in € for this card, but if it's unboxed/sealed my guess is they're willing to pay even more. Would like to buy one for my brother as a birthday present, complete package only, he'll be in nirvana to own something like this.

I say buy it, but ONLY IF EVERYTHING inside the package is included, I mean EVERYTHING! Even beter if it's unopened, some collectors are drooling over the fact some collectable item hasn't being opened yet, hearing "factory sealed" they are close to orgasm :D Sooner or later you'll stumble across some Star Wars fan who wouldn't sleep knowing someone out there has something like this for sale. Price for collectable items like this one can only go up, it's a common knowledge, that's why cards like this one are rarely put on sale, in this situation we're atm it's almost insanity to "giveaway" this card for just 500€. Buy it, find local SW forum, hint about the card and wait. Don't get me wrong: this is not scalping, only if you sell that one to a gamer that would consider as scalping. Look at it like an investment, everybody knows collectors are ready to burn in insane amount of money into collectable items.

Side story about collectors and missed opportunity on my side... My neigbours has (OK, not anymore, they sold it few days ago, got the money but atm waiting for buyer to pick it up because buyer got Covid at the and of last week) Toyota Corolla XL from 1990, or 1991. They've bought it from the factory backthen, so first owners. You won't believe how that card looks after 30 years: it shines like it's driven today from the factory, it was always garaged when not driven, I mean always, not a single spot of rust on a chasis, seats and everything inside: frikin perfect, only 14K and so Kilometers on a clock! Those neighbours doesn't have kids so this car was their "kid". FFS this car was never driven beyond 80KM/h and I can guarantee for that, you almost can't hear this car while running standing next to him, I remember this car since I was a kid, they are calm and peacefull people, and as a bonus (not completely sure, my guess) this car was never driven out of our town. Last year neigbour's mom living in other town died, they sold mom's house and got the cash. When you don't have kids where to put all that money? Neigbour just got retired, they don't like to go to sea, mountains, short or long vacations... so they decided to buy a brend new car (still haven't seen that one, still in their garage). They decided to put Corolla on sale for just 1000€, more than few people called, few of them made a visit to take a look at the car and everyone made some stupid complains (to drive the price even lower) like: "...looks good, but you know, it doesn't have AC... blah, blah..." FFS YOU DON?T BUY SUCH A CAR BECAUSE OF AC!!! :mad: Wanted to say: "..neigbour, wait for the right buyer, collector, he'll cash out at least few thousand € when it he sees how this cars looks good..." ...but I didn't. No doubt some official Toyota car saloon is crying to have such a car parked inside the saloon just to showoff! Tbh I was mad hearing all those stupid comments from potential buyers and I was this close to buy it just to stop looking at all those fools making offery around 500€ for this car that was in f*cking perfect/mint condition. The only reason why I didn't is because I don't have any more room in our garage and it would be stupid to let this car sit under the sun and let it rust. Atm my older son wants to buy his first car but no way I would let him drive this one, hell not sure my neighbours would sleep peacefully knowing some young and horny kid is wildly riding their firstborn :D So I've decided to skip on this one, only because there was not enough room at our garage. Could flip it at least for few thousands, maybe not this year, but next year for sure, missed opportunity.... Last week one older couple came to take a look at the neighbours Corolla, looking from the window think they were driving latest 2020 Toyota C-HR. They made a deal for 900€ and till this day I have a strange feeling new Corolla owners have a Toyota car saloon or something. For 900€ this was nothing more than a steal...

7. CrazY_Milojko

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    :(

8. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    Translation for this wall text in short @cucaulay malkin is a fool for not taking this deal. :D

chispy and CrazY_Milojko like this.
  9. CrazY_Milojko

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    You just said that, not me :rolleyes::D

chispy and Undying like this.
  10. cucaulay malkin

GPU:
    RTX 3060 Ti
    tbh I'd still be looking for a 30/6000 one even if I had bought the TXP,so 500eur for a better placeholder than my 1070.
    it's a 2080 equivalent after all,with no dx12 ultimate features at all.let's be objective.it's mostly collector's value.I know times are different but a 3070 at msrp is gonna crush it.I could have an XSX for that too,just drive 15km and and buy one in store.

11. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080ti FE
    Word.

12. vMax1965

vMax1965 Member

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 Gaming
    I have to admit in all my years and I go back to the 486 DX2 back in the 90's, I have never seen it this bad...Part of me is starting to think that there is some mass collusion going on between the manufacturers, distributers, AIB's and the retail stores as everyone seems to be jumping on the bandwagon and increasing prices.

AMD decided to become scalpers with the price increase to the 6600XT and with the AIB's also jumping on the badwagon like the Red Devil 6800XT being priced by Power Color at $800 instead of the $650 + the better cooler, it is a complete and utter mess that normal gamers are now suffering. No doubt Nvidia have been just as bad but at least if you are one of the lucky few, you can buy the Nvidia Founders Edition at MSRP...

Sadly I needed a new GPU as I bought a new Ultra Widescreen 1440p monitor last year and thought that the RTX 3080 at MSRP would have been a great GPU at that price but of course, nothing doing as I refuse to pay well over a £1000 for a 3080...Thankfully I picked up a 3070 Ti Founder Edition of ebay at £140 over MSRP...yes I was scalped but not as bad as it could have been.

I think PC gaming is going to suffer for this and I never thought I would be looking to Intel to save us with there new Xe GPU line...Of course the real low to mid GPU's like the 3050 and RX 6500 have not been released yet, and again some crud must be going on here as they have decided to milk everyone before releasing the lower end GPU's...

What a sad state of affairs!

13. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    You know, there could be a glut in semi-conductors and GPU production within next 3-5 years. Esp with new manufacturing facilities coming on stream within next couple years. That coupled with a crypto crash and Nvidia/AMD would be begging consumers to take their accumulating inventories off their hands. And with Intel in the mix making their job even harder. I really think the possibility of that happening is not so far fetched.

14. Backstabak

Backstabak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 5700xt
    The problem isn't just inflated prices, it already starts at MSRP. Both AMD and NVIDIA have made new and better cards, but they just price shifted them a tier higher. So e.g. 5700xt is now called 6600xt and costs the same, sure I can get 6700 or 6800, but they all cost more. That's not progress, I could have had the similar performance increase a couple of years back if I bought from NVIDIA.

The extra on top of MSRP is just an additional insult on top of it. Although, I disagree with most here, because I don't see it as being a problem of mining. It sure doesn't help, but the availability issues are because far more people were/still are staying at home due to covid and therefore now require some home entertainment.

Anyway, if it continues like that I will definitely not buy a new PC. I can safely play those few strategies I like on the PC I currently have. Its not even a question of whether I can afford it, its more that I get a feeling like someone is very keen to bend me over and do the unspeakable. So, if this continues I would rather buy a console or find a new hobby altogether.

DannyD likes this.
  15. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080ti FE
    Mining has a lot to do with card availability, i believe many hobby miners are out there that go to sites like ebuyer here in uk and take ten cards at a time and i'm not talking about 30 series neither.
    Ebuyer had many 1660 supers and 1660ti cards last week now they have none.
    I personally can't blame hobby miners for what they're doing i have two 20 series cards and this is my current profitability:

[​IMG]
    I'm gonna make an effort to quit talking mining i just want to get the point over it's here to stay at least for the foreseeable future.
    I've a ton of respect for my fellow Gurus and i'm not trying to poke the bear, just trying to say gpus are nowadays little money trees as well as gaming tools.

16. Backstabak

Backstabak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 5700xt
    Yeah, but mining was there for years and you could have always made at least a couple hundred bucks per year, even when btc was $5k. And you are right that it is going to stay here in the future too. The real demand comes from all the families being locked up who often had either no PC or just one PC and were otherwise on phones. Suddenly they each need something more. Working from home also put massive demand on new HW. It was even pretty difficult to buy webcams for quite some time, at least where I live.

DannyD likes this.
  17. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080ti FE
    I agree, and the chip shortage doesn't help, nvidia's lhr cards are available but the price /performance is just not anywhere near where it should be.
    With respect the 3060ti should be a really good card but it ain't, not at the price it sits at right now.
    I'd go for a 2080 super from ebay if i needed a card right now. least you got RT and dlss.
    I like the 6600xt also.

Backstabak likes this.
  18. AntiSnipe

AntiSnipe Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660 Super
    The GTX 1660s I paid $220 for is currently $750.
    The low end, old GTX 1060 3gb it replaced, I paid $169 for, is currently $839. o_O

This $#!7 is INSANE. I would definitely change hobbies looooong before paying anything even remotely close to the current prices. Or just break out my best old 2000-2012 games and replay them on Linux just for kicks. But yeah, GPU prices ~4-5x what I'd be willing to pay on a generous day.

DannyD likes this.
  19. Keitosha

Keitosha Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Vega56 8GB
    I'm afraid these prices are the new normal. GPU's are money printers for a few years now. Better call them MPU (Mining Processing Unit) from now on. You can also game on them if you feel the need for it. I think my next "GPU" will be an iGP if my current one dies and stick with low spec indie titles. I'd rather see newer lower end cards. A GT3030 for instance. But I guess APU's are filling in that gap.

For the rest I'm glad I got an XBsX and PS5 for normal prices. PC gaming is dead to me.

DannyD likes this.
  20. wavetrex

wavetrex Maha Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1080 AMP!
    Surprise pikachu.... crypto goes up into the 2nd peak of the bubble, all GPUs get more expensive.
    "Gamer demand !" ... yeah, right.

Don't worry folks, all bubbles pop. ALL of them.
    Just be more patient and pray to the flying spaghetti god that your current (old) GPU doesn't break.

Undying and DannyD like this.