A new spike in the price trend of graphics cards can be spotted

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 31, 2021.

1. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 Ti
    this year,next year,possibly even more

2. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    I was exactly the same, I pretty much grabbed the first card that became available. I'm very glad I did now after what has happened.

3. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    You know it'll be fun, with or without our best halfs, few beers too many... and next morning we'll wake up at the police station (better jail than hospital) :D But don't worry, 2/3 of them are godfathers, brothers or somewhat else related to my wife, no need for corruption or anything else, her name is the key for any jail doors there :cool: One day she'll endup reading my comments here and I'll become single :D You know what to do if life gets you 500Km or less away from me buddy, same goes to me. One day buddy, one day...

Back on topic... One day all this happening right now with inflated GPU prices, chip production shortages, higher production prices, lack of materials for productions, scalpers, miners and whatnot will be like a bad dream. We'll have plenty enough of everything needed to build us a powerful PCs for any kind of purpose. The only thing I'm worried about is the fact that both NVidia and AMD both succeded to up quite a bit MSRP for full range of their GPU lineup and we'll never see reasonably priced GPUs like those times when Polaris and Pascal cards were released. It's not that only PC gamers are on loss, I know more than few people here who can't buy a decent fast new gen GPU for their 3D design/rendering jobs, not that they haven't got the money for these but same as other PC gamers they aren't willing to burn insane amount of cash for new GPUs so for now they stick to those GPUs they already have. Really hope I'm wrong and MSRP prices for future GPUs are going to return back to normal but no doubt both NVidia and AMD are going to exploit this situation and grab as much as thay can while it lasts. But this situation won't last forever, no way, what if one day they wake up realising PC gamers are a dying breed, most of them already migrated to consoles, GPU mining won't be viable anymore... guess they already have a backup plan for that scenario too. PC gaming is in real danger atm, can't remember it was this bad in past 25+ years.

Icanium and Airbud like this.
  4. Airbud

Airbud Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY GTX 1060 XLR8
    I'm going to start a "Go fund me page" so I can fly first class to see you and when I get there we'll load up on the jet and we are going to party on the Mile High Club!.. No jail up there.:D

I have a question though, what should I call the go fund me page?

How does this sound.....> "Airbud meets CrazY_Milojko go fund me page"....?...:p

Love ya Brother!....:D

CrazY_Milojko likes this.

5. TheDigitalJedi

TheDigitalJedi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 + CX OLED
    This makes me wonder how long I will be keeping my current system. It screams through everything I need as of now but in 2023 the new CPUs will be calling my name. Will we be stuck buying prebuilt systems if we want to upgrade? Listening to fellow Gurus stories in regards to the nightmare GPU+CPU prices saddens me. The current market sometimes angers me as well.

Don't buy a darn thing if it's overpriced. To heck with the scalpers. Let it sit! I know that's easy for me to say due to my current setup but if this system wasn't purchased last year, I STILL would be using my old desktop and laptop. If the prices are outrageous 2-3 years from now I will be using this system beyond that! That is a pure fact. Or as the young people say.......FACTS!

The shortage is one factor but another component of this madness is lack of competition. I'm looking at a GTX 1660 priced at $529.98 right now on Amazon. This is complete BULL! The seller is the ZOTAC Store. :rolleyes::mad: I hate hearing that people are paying $800-$900 for a 3060. :eek::( I truly hope there is a consumer movement where all of us are united and change this madness by withholding our dollars.

C:\>ENDRANT

6. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    1080Ti are all over $800, mostly near $1000 second hand where I live.

Even my current card is being sold for more than I paid for it at release..... go figure.

7. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2060
    so if i go on ebay australia i'll not find anything reasonable?
    loads of cards on ebay uk

Fediuld likes this.
  8. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    Give it a try?

9. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2060
    I did there's loads.
    same prices as uk.

10. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    And these are cards at $300?

I'm not particularly interested in upgrading to a 1050Ti

11. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2060
    $300 australian is what ..£160 lol

Fediuld likes this.
  12. Fediuld

Fediuld Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5700XT AE
    Grabbed a used Aorus GTX1080Ti Xtreme for £355 few days ago, to have it as backup if something happens to the 5700XT as I plan to sell the Vega 64 for the extra cash. :)

So you can find used 1000 series at reasonable prices.

Maddness, DannyD and Airbud like this.
  13. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2060
    Grab a 1660 super, when not gaming mine @70w and make $100 aus dollar per month.

14. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    I'm not sure what the exchange rate is, I am just waiting for good video cards to be available at $300 or under again like they were before the mining crazy.... currently medium range is double to triple in price in some cases.

Now I've mentioned this a few times in the past, an example is the RX 580 Red Dragon which I had been watching for quite a few months, when I went to purchase it along with my system upgrade the price of the GPU had been inflated from just under $300 to be over $800, a few months later and the price had dropped to be a bit over $600, I then asked the store that was selling it when it would be available again at it's pre-mining price and in response they simply removed if from the store.

Then Shortly after that the RX 6600 was released, these go for $700 to $829, making these high end cards considering the price.

1660 Super is a 6GB gpu and also overpriced for what it is so no, I'll just wait until prices go back to normal, in no rush here... just super annoyed.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 1, 2021
  15. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2060
    Mining will be here for years my friend.
    The days of £200 gaming cards is over.

Fediuld likes this.

16. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6900xt / RTX3090
    This is a very sad situation we are in as if the current pricing wasn't bad enough. In my opinion the incoming refresh of new cards from both camps amd 6900xtx and nvidia 3090 Super will be priced so high it will be out of most people range :oops: , and let's not forget availability :confused: ...

17. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2060
    If i can find a 1660 super next week for £300 - 350 i'll be very happy.
    Did i enjoy paying £500 for a 2080 super 2 months ago of course not but what else is there to do?
    Just deal with it.
    I'll maybe even go 6600xt if i've enough funds. £400 is pretty decent all things considered.

18. Airbud

Airbud Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY GTX 1060 XLR8
    Dude, good deal...I'm jealous...GTX 1080Ti still kicks a**!

Fediuld likes this.
  19. FookDat

FookDat Master Guru

GPU:
    6700XT Red Devil
    I have a 5700xt that I popped a ram chip off getting the heat sinks off. While I try to reball it back on. I had to buy a 6700XT Red Devil for $799. It was a sad day

20. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Before this gen, the most expensive card I had purchased was my 1080ti 4.5 years ago at £700.
    Only reason I hadnt upgraded this was the ridiculous pricing of the 2080ti (lol).

In Sept last year I tried to get a 3080 with no luck at all, not even a sniff.
    Then in November prices were starting to rise and someone mentioned stock of 3090 cards were in shops, the post was maybe an hour old so rapidly went looking to see if any 3080s were as well.
    There were no 3080s and about 5 different 3090s, all above £1700.
    I sat here wondering how to rationalise that much for a gfx card and realised... if I can make it last 4 years instead of 2, its not that bad!
    Suddenly a card approaching £2000 was in my basket and thought, its done, no looking back, just have fun :D

But If that wasnt enough:
    Pulling the 1080ti out of my machine, the 3090 gave no display and a Memory error code on boot. Yet the memory was (and still is) fine.
    Absolutely nothing fixed this so had to buy a new CPU/mobo/cooler to use the damn thing!
    This old machine continues to work perfectly with the 1080ti (using it to type this), all round PC madness.

Thats over £3K to play games before even buying any, wtf?
    Lucky I got in before prices went super crazy I spose.
    And I've got 2 PCs now :)
    Plus gaming on the 3090 with a Super ultra wide monitor and 7.4.3 sound with amazing speakers is sublime!
    Now to get the seat shaker going, 1KW of nuts battering lol :D

Hopefully this card lasts me long enough for supply and prices to stabilise.
    No more price spikes pleaaaase.
    Fingers crossed X!

Last edited: Sep 1, 2021
    Fediuld likes this.