A little overclocking question...

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by scoter man1, Jan 21, 2009.

1. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    Hey, I just read another form and an idea poped in my head. I read about them overclocking their processor like all of us like to do and blah blah blah. I ran across something about over volting though... I think my motherboard was doing that on its own. My question to you is, I have my Q6600 at 3ghz, so do I need to let the motherboard choose my voltage (it overvolts if I let it choose) or should I just keep at it stock. Im guessing I just keep at it stock because there is no need to let the mobo overvolt? help?

Last edited: Jan 21, 2009
  2. gampamu

gampamu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 8800GTS 320
    Many motherboards overvolt way too much on auto setting. It's best to figure out the optimal settings for your hardware using manual settings.

3. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    yeah, I kinda noticed that. I saw that it was at like 1.49 volts i was like... whoa, thats a lot more than 1.325 (stock at least I think thats stock). I just set the mobo to 1.325 and put it at 3ghz. I lost like 8c on my load temps, so Im not complaining... Sometimes I notice it runs at like 1.26 or 1.29 but thats closer to idle stage than load, Idk, im new to the overclocking world.

4. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro Staff Member

GPU:
    -
    The voltage should drop when the CPU is loaded; if it drops when idle then something isn't right. If you've done a vdroop mod then the resistance has been lowered too much.

5. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    wait, yeah your right, my brain was hurting from studying for finals 0.0 but yeah it drops when its loaded. I was getting some errors earlyer when I put the vcore back to 1.325 so, I boosted everything up .025 and im not having any yet... i'll get back to you guys later, I got to study some more =(. School b4 pc!

6. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    here we go I found all of the voltages I can control on my mobo

Cpu core
    cpu fbs
    nforcespp
    nf200voltage level

anyone know what good voltages would be for these at a 3ghz overclock? if you want me to find the voltages for any of those values, you'll have to give me some time, STUDY!!! lol

I also have control over the memory but I got the memory working fine, im just worryed about my processor, thanks to anyone that can help

good night everyone I gotta get good sleep for finals =S :bed:

7. GeoD

GeoD Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070
    for 3Ghz anything from 1.35-.14 is normal. this depends on the revision of the chip, your mobo etc.. your best bet would be to oc with all stock until you experience instability with prime95 or orthos. once this happens try upping cpu volts a bit (.05 or so). if you still cant get stable with +.1 volt then start messing with FSB volts and NB volts in small increments. every oc is different so there really aren't any set voltages.

8. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    Okay, thanks for the info. I was experiencing some errors last night after coming out of standby and just starting up, so I poped some voltages up one setting and I seem to be running cool and stable right now. I will play with it more once my stupid finals are over maybe I can get it more stable or running even cooler... idk =)

I found some time and I set everything to auto except the cpu core. Its running one setting higher than stock which is like .025 v, seems to be running okay right now, I still need to give it like a day to see if im going to end up w/ errors tho...

9. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    aight sorry for the double post but, I'm running stable by just setting everything but the cpu core to auto. I have the cpu core just over stock voltages but, compared to when I had everything boosted up by one setting above stock, my temps are higher...? is there something I can do to get them lower? add a little more power?

Edit:
    I set things like this and im gonna give it a try
    cpu core - 1.33125v
    cpu fsb - 1.25v (the mobo over volts too much on its own)
    nforce spp- 1.30v (auto)
    nf200 voltage level - 1.20v (auto)

cpu-z shows that my core voltages is only 1.25 or 1.26v I dont really know what to say to that...

any feedback on those voltages? too low?

Last edited: Jan 22, 2009