A Gun Thread - Short Thread

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by "Born"_*Leader*, Nov 19, 2009.

?

How many people here own guns?

1. Yes

5.2%
  2. Yes x1

5.9%
  3. Yes xMore than 1

27.5%
  4. None

61.3%
  1. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Another gun I might want to pick up for my collection would be the IWI "Micro-Tavor", it has the ability to switch between 9mm and 5.56 ammo with only a few minutes of work and it is very reliable.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 19, 2009
  2. FULMTL

FULMTL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AOC 27"
    finally found this thread..was looking around for a while! Anyhow, Im about to purchase my first rifle and I need some suggestions for a setup under $1000. If I wait a till next month, my budget can be about $1500 (but this is part of my overseas vacation money so I probably shouldnt spend it all)

After being educated some by my knowledgable friends who own guns or were/are in the service suggest I dont get a .22 rifle as it has no stopping power and so a .223 is suggested. Looking around, I have a hard time finding much for under -$1000 :( Ive been to the gun range to only shoot pistols, but I really dont want one.

Heres some that I have in mind:
    Ruger Mini14 w/ATI tactical parts
    http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=110199

Inter Ordnance Model AK47C (maybe not this brand?)
    http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=111041

Baretta Cx4 Storm .45 version
    http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=85584

As you can see, I like the tactical and modern look but the ones I really want are over $1500. Im not really a fan of the AR-15 style (because its so common), but if thats the best bang for the buck, Ill rethink it over. Im not sure if I should order online to get it cheaper, or just buy something at the store?

If all else fails and I cant decide, I will just save up for my STG556, which I really want.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 5, 2010
  3. Dustpuppy

Dustpuppy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    integrated - fffffffuuuuu
    ^ what do you want to do with the rifle?

Going from the guns you've listed I take it you're interested in something that can be used in self defense as well as target practice. I'd rock the AK for that, but if you strictly want self defense then the .45 has great stopping power as well.

If your interest includes hunting then for target practice/varmints a mini-14 is nice. For deer a .270 (alternatively 7mm mag / .257wby mag for longer range) is ideal or a .243 if you want a gun to hand down to a 12yo kid. For all around American game the .30-'06 can kill everything on the continent (except bison) but it tends to ruin a bit much meat on southern whitetail. Catch is, most of the good deer /hunting rifles under $1k are bolt action. Accurate semi-auto's cost a lot more.

Does the $1000 budget include the scope+ammo?

4. FULMTL

FULMTL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AOC 27"
    Im not a hunter, but yeah it will be used for self defense, target shooting, and scaring away petty thieves. The urge to get one wasnt brought upon me until my car was broken into twice with a one month period at these apartments (car break ins in TX are getting worse). First time my window was broken and my CD radio stolen, not a big deal. Second time last Thursday, my car was broken into through my taped window and my door was left open. Nothing was stolen because there was nothing valuable left to steal. Thats when I've had enough.
    When this happens, Im not the only person that gets hit, its a bunch of people at the apartment. Is this a dumb excuse to get a gun? Where my apartment is at, I cant clearly see or park near my window, so I am blind as to what is happening at night.

The scope, I will eventually get when I do some more research on whats good. I might get the AK, but I will either have to do alot of swapping of parts to get it the way I want, but it will still be cheaper or equal than the other options.
    Like this.
    [​IMG]

5. Renegade8100

Renegade8100 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC
    I had an m1 carbine that I got from my old friends father who got it in the 50's but I had to relinquish it back cause of some irritating laws

6. reno_skychaser

reno_skychaser Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX R9 290 4GB
    I have an airsoft:

Beretta 92FS
    Sig Sauer P226
    Desert Eagle
    H&K MP5SD
    and my favorite, H&K USP

No real guns, though I've been interested in them for some time.

7. Dustpuppy

Dustpuppy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Best weapon for self defense in apartments is a semi auto 12 gauge loaded with 00 buckshot. One hit from a 12 gauge is going to be the equivalent of half a dozen hits from the AK-47 in a 3" circle. Against persons without body armor the 12 gauge with 00 buckshot has a 90% chance of stopping your opponent in one shot. If you need to reach out to 70-100 yds load a slug or two after the 00. However, of the guns you selected the .45 is best for the apartment though the AK-47 is all round superior imo.

I cannot recommend using an AK-47 or a mini-14 in an apartment. Those rounds will travel a very long way before they hit the ground.

Using the 12 gauge if you want to be merciful (or like your neighbors) you might load the first round with birdshot. The birdshot will severely wound people and scare the **** out of them but it will not travel through more than a couple inches of drywall which makes it much safer for apartments. Downside is, if you NEED to kill somebody you have to discharge the first round to get to the more lethal buckshot.

Since you're going to be in close, I'd recommend a reflex sight rather than a scope on your rifle or shotty.

8. CronoGraal

CronoGraal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI R9 390 8GB
    neat stuff

but how many of you have actually had to use your weapons for self defense outside of the military? (for those who claim it's for protection, defense, etc)

9. FULMTL

FULMTL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AOC 27"
    Thanks for the input. I was was told that the shotgun wouldnt be a good idea because of the spread, but I suppose buckshot would be an option. Pump shotguns are fairly cheap, so I suppose I could pick one up also. Any specific recommendations on those?

Im leaning toward the Baretta CX4 storm because in person, its really light, compact, comfortable, and available at the shop. The only thing questionable is durability? How good is technopolymer body after multiple trips to the range? The hammer is made with plastic and metal, and so who knows how soon I would have to replace that.
    If I pick up the CX4 Storm, I would just add a reflex sight, front grip, light, and call it a day.

10. Dustpuppy

Dustpuppy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nvm :p

With regards to durability I dunno about the durability of those materials I've not used those weapons. I'm acquainted with the .45 by its takedown stats and reputation as possessing a lot of stopping power. I can't speak to the specific model.

As for the shotgun, spread will depend on the choke and the kind of ammo used. Basically a couple rounds of 00 then a slug if you need to bust through something and you're golden out to a hundred yards if you have a rifled shotty. However, do not fire off the slug unless you know you're going to hit. In fact don't even load the slug until you're a crack shot with your shotgun since they over-penetrate.

11. rotzilla

rotzilla Member Guru

GPU:
    Zotac geforce 9400gt
    Sig p220 45 cal, Glock model 27 40 cal (excellent concealed carry) ,
    Sears 22 single shot, Winchester 7 mag.

12. Dmented

Dmented Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1080 ROG Strix
    Bought a Bulgarian AK47, waiting for it to arrive.

Looking to get a Taurus PT92 9mm pistol also.

13. BigBlockTowncar

BigBlockTowncar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Evga GTX970 SC
    My local range shop has Colt AR-15 match rifles for $999. I would not buy that Beretta. Without a 3 round burst or full auto capability, it is essentially a long barrel pistol with a stock. It fires a pistol cartridge, yet you can't conceal it legally. Do you expect to get a one shot stop from a pistol caliber. Study terminal ballistics.

[​IMG]

A .45 is not as powerful as soldier of fortune 2 would lead you to believe. You would be better off with a shotgun in close quarters like an apartment, or if you want something for home defense and concealment...some sort of handgun. With modern defense loads, you can get exceptional performance out of smaller cartridges.

Even in Texas, I do not think it is legal for you to shoot someone breaking into your car. So if you see someone out there fiddling with your car, you gonna open the window and let em have it?

14. Dmented

Dmented Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1080 ROG Strix
    It's common sense not to shoot an unarmed man. If you were too then it's your fault and you should be penalized.

A weapon is your immediate protection. Police are your ultimate protection and should be called right away if any incident were to occur. Best case in a situation like that is the person craps himself and you happen to get him to stay until the police arrive. Worst case is he runs and doesn't get caught.

15. Chernobyl

Chernobyl Active Member

GPU:
    xfx 4870 1gb
    The more and more i read these threads i'm starting to wonder if we should do a Liberal/Conservative poll for Guru3d members in the US...

16. Renegade8100

Renegade8100 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC
    well ****.. my old gamo cfx .22 cal did the same speeds with an pneumatic spring.

17. Dustpuppy

Dustpuppy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ? I wasn't basing my recommendation of the .45 on soldier of fortune (though I agree about the shotty). I'm basing it on its real world reputation. The AR-15 and the M-16 are both .223 caliber, you have to score multiple hits and then WAIT for the opponent to die. The problem with doing that in close quarters combat is that your opponent can still shoot you while he's taking his sweet time to die.

It's very inaccurate to call what he showed a pistol. Yes the .45 is a pistol, but the cx4 has short rifle barrel. The longer a guns barrel the higher the velocity of the bullets it shoots. That gun is likely packing 50%+ more punch than the already lethal standard .45.

18. BigBlockTowncar

BigBlockTowncar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Evga GTX970 SC
    Yes it adds velocity up to a maximum limit of the cartridge load. All the powder will burn at some point, then barrel length would decrease performance after that point. 50% higher performance is not accurate. You would have to use a lighter weight bullet if firing from a pistol and you wanted to achieve rifle speed velocities. That is not going to put you over the edge in a close range defense situation.

It is your choice what you buy, but keep in mind if you ever want to do distance shooting past 100 yards, a .45 acp is not the best choice. You are going to be very limited in aftermarket parts as well which means that the prices are going to be higher.

Shotgun because of the mutiple projectile, low light benefits, easy to point shoot.

Pistol if you want something for at home and something you can holster and wear to work or the store.

19. .:JeeBus:.

.:JeeBus:. Master Guru

GPU:
    Diamond Raedon HD 6850
    I have 1887's pre-patch. I kid I kid.
    Qustion, does anyone here have a Deagle?

20. Dustpuppy

Dustpuppy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    /shrug

A review I read said they got it to fire at 1600 fps. Obviously it's not going to do 50% with every single possible configuration of bullet + powder.

As for the rest, he's in an apartment and at 100 yards, he's got the option of the AK-47 which is ideal at 200 yards.