A Gun Thread - Short Thread

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by "Born"_*Leader*, Nov 19, 2009.

?

How many people here own guns?

1. Yes

5.2%
  2. Yes x1

5.9%
  3. Yes xMore than 1

27.5%
  4. None

61.3%
  1. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Isn't that a ITL Mars sight? Terrific sight, used it in the army, has a built in laser that is zeroed with your reticule.

2. ST19AG_WGreymon

ST19AG_WGreymon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 970 SC ACX 2.0
    Pistols can be as low as $130. That being said most people wouldn't drop $600 on a pistol for home defense. Guns have more uses than just defending one's self. Lot's of people have them for sporting purposes(i.e. trap and skeet, target shooting, competition) or to simply collect. I mostly collect WWII rifles, they serve as a reminder of those dark days in history.

3. Morketh

Morketh Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 580 3GB
    I want one for home defense, but also I want one that I like the look of. Turns out the ones I like are about $400 - $600 a 9mm. :(

4. BigBlockTowncar

BigBlockTowncar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Evga GTX970 SC
    don't overspend just for pretty if it's your first gun....if you were to use it in a defense situation, the police will probably take it for testing. I have heard stories of people getting their firearms back 4-6 months later with acid etching and all sorts of damage to the finish.

5. Morketh

Morketh Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 580 3GB
    I'm like 99% sure I'll never have to use it though so pretty much I am getting it for a just in case but in reality it is just going to sit there. I am spending $400-$600 for nothing in my mind. this is why I still do not own one.

My brother just bought a pistol for $400 and it is locked in a case, that is inside of a locked case.. if someone broke into his house at night is he really going to have time to open 2 locked cases to get a gun out?

6. BigBlockTowncar

BigBlockTowncar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Evga GTX970 SC
    That is your brother's problem. It doesn't sound like he is very comfortable keeping a gun in the house. I keep my pistol on me just about 24/7 and it is always loaded. I am 0% sure that I will never have to use my gun, and that is because I cannot tell the future.

7. ST19AG_WGreymon

GPU:
    eVGA 970 SC ACX 2.0
    Go to the range with someone experienced with firearms and firearms safety and rent a gun or two. It's pretty fun even if it's just shooting paper targets. I didn't buy my guns with the intention of home defense, although if someone did break in I wouldn't run to the kitchen and grab a knife. XD

Going to the range is a great experience. I find it relaxing. Even if you don't intend on owning one just try it for the sake of doing something new.

8. wootwoot

wootwoot Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX295
    His pricing of $400 - 600 sounds right in line for reliable defensive pistols. Glock's/M&P's, XD's etc..... Now if he was talking $800 + yeah that's more into the enthusiast price range. But I say get what you want, what feels and shoots best for you, the cost of the weapon when you have to use it to defend yourself is going to be of little importance and well worth the cost.

Whatever gun you get, you should practice with it.

9. wootwoot

wootwoot Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX295
    Well there is always the risks of the legal system when ever using lethal force to defend yourself. However, you say you live in the great state of Texas. I wouldn't be too worried about the repercussions of defending yourself in your home, so long as it was justified. Texas has Castle doctrine and other laws, its not some commie state.

Even Joe Horn was cleared.

10. FULMTL

FULMTL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AOC 27"
    I was in TX, but in Lousiana at the moment. Lousiana is even more relaxed than Texas with firearms. One of the original states baby woot. Open carry is legal here. http://opencarry.org/la.html
    I don't open carry though since I don't have a holster at the moment...There aren't any deer in the south, so don't need a rifle in the truck either. There are however alligators on the side of the road, but they jump into the water when you drive by. There's people that fish on the side of the road...hell I'd definitely have a gun then.

11. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Moderator Staff Member

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    open carry is legal here as well. ill do it most times even though i have a chp. the funny thing is, everytime i do open carry and i go anywhere, im always getting dirty looks from pretty much everyone. which i do not give 2 f*cks about. theres a hater or 2 everywhere these days.

12. ST19AG_WGreymon

GPU:
    eVGA 970 SC ACX 2.0
    I haven't been to Virginia since getting my first handgun, more of a rifle guy, next time I cross the state line I'll definitely open carry. I've been reading a lot of stories from here: http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/forum.php

13. PhazeDelta1

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    i frequent that site just as much as i do here. has a few good articles on there.

14. dense_drummer

dense_drummer Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 6970
    Did you say, stubby "Ass Toes" ?

15. FULMTL

FULMTL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AOC 27"
    What kind of holster do you use for handgun open carry? Not sure how a side holster feels yet.
    I've seen vids of people who open carry AK pistols (Dracos) on a sling, but I think it's kinda heavy and the bolt would just stab you all the time.
    Wouldn't mind having a KRISS on my back though.

16. PhazeDelta1

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW

when i open carry with my kimber grand raptor II i use this.

its a level 3 tactical serpa thigh rig holster made by blackhawk.
    [​IMG]

i have another rig that is similar to this with 2 magazine attachments.
    [​IMG]

when i go concealed, i use a regular in the pants holster. something like this
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 23, 2011
  17. scheherazade

scheherazade Ancient Guru

GPU:
    fullHDs
    My target pistol is about that much.
    Only 22LR tho'.
    I could defend with it if I had to, but for home defense there's much cheaper and much more deadly options.

Hell, buy a $100 shotgun.
    1) Doesn't penetrate as much (as bullets) through walls (good to not hit anyone by accident).
    2) It's over in 1 shot.

-scheherazade

18. Anfield82

Anfield82 Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 7970
    [​IMG]

This is as good as it gets for me.

19. ST19AG_WGreymon

GPU:
    eVGA 970 SC ACX 2.0
    Interesting find at a nearby gun shop, IDF Mauser. $4000 :(

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

"This is a Mauser 66S, made in Germany. It was then sold to Israel where it probably entered service in the IDF as a sniper rifle. It has the Star Of David stamped on the side of the receiver. It also has the IDF correct Nimrod scope. Fully adjustable stock & comb, muzzle brake, and the smoothest action I have seen. Chambered in 308. Less than 100 were imported into the US."

20. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Double check if it chambered in .308 or 7.62 NATO. If it is .308, then it is a rare one that probably belonged to an elite special forces unit (or was rechambered afterwards). Most Israeli sniper rifles at the time used 7.62 since it could use in an emergency ammo from the FN FAL which was the standard rifle at then.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2011