A GPU issue or not?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Catalyst Drivers Section' started by srdjan1995, Sep 15, 2017.

1. srdjan1995

srdjan1995 Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire Vapor-X R9 270X
    Hey folks. I need some GPU experts here. So, I have an Sapphire R9 270X 2GB OC Edition. The issue I'm having is, that when playing games like Titanfall 2, during gameplay, my PC would freeze after some time, and speakers will start outputing some buzzing sound, also I see vertical lines all over the screen. I have to restart PC when that happens, as it would not un-freez by itself. I'm on Windows 10 PRO 64Bit (latest Insider version) and AMD Crimson 17.9.1 drivers. Same thing will happen with, let's say, 17.8.1 WHQL. Fans get loud when gaming after some time. Can it be a GPU issue (I really hope it's not, cuz I can't afford a new GPU atm), or can it be something else (Insider version of Windows, motherboard, RAM...)? Did anyone had issue as this one? I really hope someone can help me sort this out, cuz it's so bloody annoying. Thank you all in advance, and sorry for asking this in drivers section. Put it to a different section if needed be. :)
    P.S. Sorry for my bad English as well.

2. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX980 SLI
    Only TF2 or other games too?

Checked Event logs?

Did you use DDU in safemode to remove drivers, then reinstall in normal mode?

GPU temps?

GPU OC'd?

3. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX760 270X GTX970
    What Extraordinary just said...

Tried with another (a bit stronger) PSU? How many Amps on PSU's +12V rail(s)? After few years of use that GigaByte 460W PSU of yours could be on it's last leg paired with Phenom II X4 960T & R9 270X...

Anything OC'ed: CPU of GPU? Both of these can be quite hungru once OC'ed...

It could be mobo's VRM degraded. After all MSI K9N6PGM2-V2 has a crappy CPU VRM section...

Reseat 24pn and 4pin conectors coming from PSU to motherboard. Reseat RAMs and CPU. Do some Memtest.

4. srdjan1995

srdjan1995 Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire Vapor-X R9 270X
    @Extraordinary Well, it happens in other games too, but not all. Games like PES 18 or CS:GO don't cause this issue (at least they haven't so far). I use DDU in safe mode always, and then install new drivers in normal mode. GPU is around 30 degree temp in normal mode, haven't checked while gaming. I've changed paste on GPU just a few days ago. I haven't OC'ed it (neither GPU nor CPU).

@CrazY_Milojko I haven't tried with another PSU. Beside this one, I only have a 450W LC Power, but haven't tried with that one. I checked PSU +12V rail like few months ago, and it was ok, I think close to 12V (11,6 or something). Like I wrote above, nothing is OC'ed. I have 2x4 GB DDR2 @800 MHz RAM memory. I'll try to reseat all you've said and do a memory test.

5. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX980 SLI
    This started happening since you changed the thermal paste?

Check temps in game using Afterburner, could be overheating

6. Overhaul

Overhaul New Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC OC
    I have the same problem, but my game does'nt freeze or get slow. But in full load, I can hear just a little high frequency sound, like a little fly. I think its a problem with the regulator circuit PWM on PSU.

Sorry bad english.

7. Chastity

Chastity Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapph Nitro 390 BP
    @srdjan1995: What paste did you use for the GPU? Pastes that are thin, like Arctic Silver 5, are not recommended for GPUs. Also, you are only using a Gigabyte 460W PSU. You may very well be maxing out your PSU, especially if it is of a multi-rail design. What is the complete model name or number of the PSU you are using? This way we can check the specs. Sounds to me you may have a multi-rail design, and the rail supplying the GPU is tapping out.

@Overhaul: sounds like coil whine :)

8. Overhaul

Overhaul New Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC OC
    mmm I have a EVGA PSU, so... Coil Whine would not it be a feature of a product with bad components? Or EVGA have bad components on her PSU? I can hear this noise on my USB headphone too, Its very annoying.

9. srdjan1995

srdjan1995 Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire Vapor-X R9 270X
    I used a Cooler Master E1 IC Essential thermal paste. I put the LC Power 450W now, and played four games of Titanfall 2, and the issue did not happen. Titanfall 2 actaully worked better (performance wise) than with that GigaByte PSU. So, it really might have been the PSU. I will do some more testing and will let you know.
    I'll tell you the full model later, have to see inside the PC case. Coil Whine? What should I do with it?

10. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti H20
    LC power is a notoriously bad PSU brand.

I suggest you buy a reputable brand like corsair, seasonic, super flower, evga(skip those very cheap ones)etc

11. srdjan1995

srdjan1995 Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire Vapor-X R9 270X
    @Agent-A01 I will buy a new one, but atm I have only this one. As soon as possible, I'll get one of those you mention.

12. Apparatus

Apparatus Master Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 1080 ti
    You didn't answered this critical question :
    This is also important :
    If you don't have afterburner you can use gpu-z to check your temps on the fly.

When you finish with your tests, please replace this LC psu. It's dangerous.

13. srdjan1995

srdjan1995 Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire Vapor-X R9 270X
    No, it started before that. I tought my GPU is overheating, that's why i decided to change the thermal paste. Previous one was almost not there, it was almost like corosed (wasn't changed in a longer time probably, I'm the second owner of the GPU, so I really don't know when it was changed the last time). I'll change it when I get my pay in a few days.

14. Chastity

Chastity Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapph Nitro 390 BP
    Seems you figured out it's the PSU. If switching the PSU allows you to play properly, and getting better performance, that means the card is power starved on the original PSU. Play it safe and always get a PSU rated more than what you need. this will allow you to use it when you upgrade.

srdjan1995 likes this.
  15. Chastity

Chastity Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapph Nitro 390 BP
    Then it seems you have electrical noise. Could be from improper grounding, or a marginal component. Check your wall socket for wiring faults or lack of grounding.

16. srdjan1995

srdjan1995 Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire Vapor-X R9 270X
    It seems PSU isn't the component causing the issue, but my 5.1 sound card (a really old one, maybe even one of the first 5.1 sound cards). When I changed PSU to LC Power, I haven't connected speaker cables to the sound card, and played 4 matches of Titanfall 2 without any issue. After those 4 games, I turned off PC, packed the PSU in the case, connected all the cables, this time speakers too, turned on PC, started Titanfall 2, and in my first match the issue happened. After that, I restarted PC, took the speaker cables out from the sound card, started the game again, and played two matches without any issue. So, the issue is now really discovered. I'll have to take that sound card out, and go back to mb one until I get some other.

17. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX760 270X GTX970
    Plug in sound card into another available PCI slot, maybe PCI slot has some issues powering that sound card.

Clean the contacts on sound card with purest alcohol you can find (forget about rakija, aftershave...), PCB contacts going into mobo's PCI slot.

Tried reinstalling sound card drivers? Newer drivers?

If it doesn't help either new sound card or use integrated one.

18. srdjan1995

srdjan1995 Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire Vapor-X R9 270X
    Brate, first of all, thanks for all the help. :) I'll try it. If it doesn't help, then I'll just get a new one. I have latest drivers for the sound card. The other PCI slot can't be reached because of the GPU.

19. LIGuitar77

LIGuitar77 Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 7790 2GB OC
    What you described (especially in regards to the sound) is a stop error about to happen (BSOD.) Sometimes, the machine freezes before it can, so no memory or minidump is ever created.

Do you have a folder at this location with files in it? C:\Windows\Minidump or a .dmp file in C:\Windows?

If so, we will sort this quickly and easily.

And P.S. - putting in "Drivers" section is proper because the odds are high it is another poor driver on the system doing this. (Not video.)

20. srdjan1995

srdjan1995 Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire Vapor-X R9 270X
    Is it possible that due to PSU unable to carry out the config, it overheats, and thus cause the issue? Is it ok if I buy some 550-600W modular PSU?