A good damn day

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by TyrantofJustice, Aug 12, 2009.

1. TyrantofJustice

TyrantofJustice Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 super
    I just got a call from my SSI worker and I got approved for a monthly SSI check,now they just need to work out how much they can pay me.

This is amazing cause usually this involves years of appealing and I got it with no effort,just by keeping the 2 appointments they gave me.

I should get a check retro active back to 6-8 months and this is great cause with school just starting for the kids we could really use the money.

Feel like I hit Lotto,I am so excited I am shaking.

2. MrDaniel

MrDaniel Member Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX 660 Ti Jetstrea
    Congratulations. It took me a minute to find out what it was though.

When I first googled SSI it came up with "scuba schools international" at the top of the results. I realised it wasn't that though and quickly found "supplementary security income". That made a lot more sense!

3. TyrantofJustice

GPU:
    RTX 2080 super
    HA lol Scooba schools international...I would not be remotely excited by that

4. TyrantofJustice

GPU:
    RTX 2080 super
    This does 2 things for me

I will feel more stable as now I am bringing some bread to the table in my household so to speak and second I can finally feel human again by having some money in my damn wallet and open my own bank account,I never had my own bank account.

5. MrDaniel

MrDaniel Member Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX 660 Ti Jetstrea
    It'd good to see people achieving things. It's even better that it won't just help you, but also your kids too.

6. TyrantofJustice

GPU:
    RTX 2080 super
    I am looking at 674-1011 a month plus a bonus from my state.

Also may be eligible for food assistance and medicaid.

and this does not come out ot tax money it comes from the treasury dept so it is not like bummy welfare

EDIT---- just got the call back and due to my wife's unemployment i will only receive around 482 a month and due to living in Indiana I am not directly eligible for medicaid or food assistance.

plus they deemed me unable to manage my own money so i have to name my wife as the payee and she gets my money lol. it is a win/lose situation

Last edited: Aug 12, 2009
  7. Forbiden

Forbiden Master Guru

GPU:
    8800GTS @ 810/1900/2200
    Sucks about your situation, but at least you're getting something.

For the record, SSI is still coming from the tax payers. We all pay into it every pay check--$125/mo in my case, and $30/mo to Medicare so people can get "free" healthcare.

8. TyrantofJustice

GPU:
    RTX 2080 super
    I have no clue then...

Just was reading the web site and it said it was not tax money and that it was a fund the treasury has set aside.

what sucks is that when the wife is done with school they may terminate my payments due to her making to much,I feel that is unfair to me as I will still have my issues and be left with nothing again,It is nice to have your own money (in some sense of the meaning)
    and it is nice to actually feel like i am bringing something into the house.

9. heliman41

heliman41 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 260OC -640/1300/1100
    Your a lucky man, I tried for 4 long yrs............guess im too white, too young, too educated. Least ways thats what I was told in the end. I do not know your physical disability but its obviously serious and goes way way beyond simply physical pain. If your combined income is over I think $32 or $36 grand you will get taxed on the income, that does not mean you wont get bennys just means you will get forced to pay tax on it, contact your local SS office they will explain the details. Ea. state is different.

10. TyrantofJustice

GPU:
    RTX 2080 super
    I am in Indiana and I am white,smart,and yes it is not physical pain but mental illness.

You say that just because the household income is such I will still get benefits?

they already cut me down by almost 200 a month from the federal standard just cause the wife gets 370 a week unemployment.

I will get 428 a week now which really equates to nothing because I am at the understanding that the food stamp form we filled out 2 days ago and were told we would receive 350 a month in food assistance we will now be uneligable for due to my now SSI income.

So that washes out 350 of my 428 a month income so in the end I really do not get a thing.

On another note I am also understanding that when the wife finishes college in 8 months and get a job as a nurse making about 45,000 - 50,000 anually I will be cut off from SSI?

That I think is not fair as it is my disability and again should not be based off of her income,... Say if we split up and I was dropped due to her employement,then I am alone and without benefits?
    Would I be able to get them back?

11. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    I think I'm sometimes better off not working my ass off and paying huge amounts of tax.

I mean, what does it really get me, I could be getting everything for free.

12. TyrantofJustice

GPU:
    RTX 2080 super
    Finch do not take it as that dude.

I have been trying to get this for years and have purposely avoided meicaid and well fare when we could have used it.

I can not afford my medical bills and scripts and this is going to help.

13. Doug

Doug Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    I don't about you but I think you're much better off without a mental disability tbh.

14. Dustpuppy

Dustpuppy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    integrated - fffffffuuuuu
    "and this does not come out ot tax money it comes from the treasury dept so it is not like bummy welfare"

Not one to judge, & I'm glad you're getting money it sounds like your family needs it. However, how do you figure this? I get that it's not quite like welfare in that welfare is given to able bodied people, but how do you reason that it does not come out of taxes?

15. TyrantofJustice

GPU:
    RTX 2080 super
    It is what it said on the social security web site or at least that is how i read it.

16. dukedave5200

dukedave5200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX 285 OCX - SLI
    If you are getting money that you didn't work for then it comes from the rest of the people who are working and paying taxes... Money doesn't just come out of thin air (well, not exactly anyway... lol)

17. theworldisover

theworldisover Maha Guru

GPU:
    Msi 960 gamer 2gb
    Hey Ace.

I have been on ssi most of the life because of my disability. It's a very fawked up program.

I cant live with my girlfreind or anything or they will cut me off because she works.
    I cant make this or that or they will cut me off.
    i cant have more then $2000 in my bank account or they will deduct my money
    There is ALOT of rules and i think you should read up on it before you mess the checks up on accident

http://www.socialsecurity.gov/ssi/text-living-ussi.htm
    http://www.socialsecurity.gov/ssi/spotlights/spot-living-arrangements.htm
    http://www.socialsecurity.gov/includes/topiclist.htm

I am trying to find a job so i can get off someday in my life. But my disability is preventing me and it really hate it.

I'm glad you finnally got on it tho. It will help you since you have children and a wife. But dont get to caught up into it.

EDIT:And also yes.... All of your money and my money comes out of peaples tax's...it sucks and i wish i did not have to do that to peaple.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2009
  18. TyrantofJustice

GPU:
    RTX 2080 super
    ok about living

this applies to me.

However, we would not reduce your benefit if your spouse who is living with you provides these items.

also i just got off the phone with the 800 number office and they said when my wife is done with school and if she makes more than 3100 a month than i will be cut off but i can regain my SSI in the future if and when things change on our part or if we split up due to my disability in the system.

I also found the updated foodstamp program called SNAP and according to there guidelines we can get 277 a month with her unemployment and my SSI due to having a disabled person in the house being me,they raise the allowed income to 3000 and since the trade in value of our car is only 88 dollars they do not count the vehicle as an asset.

We fall at 1962 a month between the 2 of us right now and we have the 3 kids.

Have no money in the bank,only a 401k woth 1400 and they do not count that either.

So maybe this money will be more useful than we thought.

And now I can afford counseling and try to get through these issues.

19. TroM

TroM Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD6850 OC
    Hey dude hope everything works out. Good luck

20. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    What exactly is this "Mental Disability"

His posts are very readable. And I know quite a lot of people who can still work.

I'm not saying you don't deserve it, but there's a heck of a lot of people who don't.

And the money has to come from somewhere, usually taxpayers.