A full, 4K remaster of TimeSplitters 2 was hidden inside Homefront: The Revolution THEN LOST

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by CPC_RedDawn, Apr 7, 2021.

1. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800XT Nitro+ SE
    https://www.pcgamer.com/a-full-4k-r...2-was-hidden-inside-homefront-the-revolution/

Quote:
    Twitter Matt Phillips link HERE

How?? How can you lose a code to access something this important?

Surely the files are accessible on the PC version some way or another, the first two levels of the game are accessible without a code?

2. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX6800XT G.XT.
    "I once gave it to a friend to leak in some Discord channel and they called him a liar and banned his account."

This bit doesn't make any sense to me, why not publish the key himself if he wanted to make it available?

Something don't add up here.
    Sounds like a late April fool's prank to me.

CPC_RedDawn likes this.
  3. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800XT Nitro+ SE
    I did think that, something seems very fishy.

AsiJu likes this.
  4. skacikpl

skacikpl Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 8G
    Ultimately if such thing exists, you could probably just bypass the check entirely on PC but the whole thing seems questionable at best.

5. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX6800XT G.XT.
    The very headline sounds weird, a full remaster of a game inside another game.

Though I guess as Koch media apparently has IP rights for both franchises, not entirely impossible.

CPC_RedDawn likes this.
  6. MerolaC

MerolaC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 5600XT G. MX
    AsiJu likes this.
  7. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX6800XT G.XT.
  8. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    Too bad i dont own the game. someone who does plz report back about performance , screenshots etc :D

9. Truder

Truder Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury Nitro
    Found this:-

Doesn't really look all that great, it is just a port and not a remaster.

10. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800XT Nitro+ SE
    thats what a remaster is though, just remastering the old content. A remake is when they actually change more stuff.

11. Truder

Truder Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury Nitro
    The description of remaster can be fluid yes but remaster implies it's been touched up. I.e. sharper textures, increased LOD or other enhancements.

This appears to be nothing more than just a console port.

You wouldn't call modern title console games that have been ported to PC 6 months later remasters would you? (It's ultimately marketing fluff at the moment).

CPC_RedDawn likes this.
  12. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800XT Nitro+ SE
    I think its a little subjective tbh, remasters to me are where they don't touch much of the game and keep the original vision with maybe a resolution change and some quality of life improvements. A remake to me is more so when they go in and actually redo the textures, environment, sounds, animations, etc.

As for games released on PC 6 months later from consoles, these are obviously not remasters or remakes they are what they are and that is a port which can include changes needed for that game to run on the platform its being ported too. So for PC that would be mouse and keyboard support, graphic options (needed for different config machines), and maybe if we get lucky an FOV slider :p

It's the same with movies, they get remastered all the time for new mediums. Movies got "ported" from VHS to DVD or DVD to BluRay. The movie wasn't remade it was remastered for a new medium so a resolution change, better sound, and maybe some special features. Nowadays we seem to be seeing more and more remakes though where the entire film is reshot with different actors and everything else.

So this version of Timesplitters 2 is probably somewhere in between remaster and port, seen as it was never on the PC to begin with outside emulation. But the graphics are certainly improved, with a resolution bump and mouse and keyboard support added. But I agree its more a port than remaster.