A few small quetions about Windows7....

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Flopster, Feb 15, 2009.

1. Flopster

Flopster Banned

GPU:
    Club3D 8600GTS 256MB
    Ok guys, I was thinking of installing a Windows7 on my pc as primary OS. My question is:

Will there be a lot of driver issues, since it's a Beta version of Windows7?

1. I've heard that Daemon tools will not work on this OS, so with what program should I replace it?

2. What other programs will have trouble working on this OS?

3. Are there going to be a lot of issues with games?

4. Will steam and it's games work fine?

5. Do I need to have some account in Microsoft's homepage or something like that?

6. As I understand I'll need to use Vista drivers for 32bit version if I have installed 32 bit Windows7?

I know, I should ask it in Windows7 thread or somewhere else, but my posts seem to get unnoticed, so I decided to make a new thread...

2. bodean

bodean Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7970
    1. It works
    2. Haven't had any issues
    3. Yes, its a BETA OS
    4. It works
    5. No
    6. No

NEVER, EVER, EVER, Run a beta os as your main. You should know this already.

3. Flopster

Flopster Banned

GPU:
    Club3D 8600GTS 256MB
    Yeah, I know, but I'm not quite sure of how to make those par.ti.ti.ons and stuff...
    All I play right now is DoD: Source, BF2 demo and I think that's all, I'd play more, but my pc is quite crap.

Oh, and I think I'm gonna play Fallout 3 too, but not sure...

4. Flopster

Flopster Banned

GPU:
    Club3D 8600GTS 256MB
    BTW How do I create par.ti.ti.ons? And once done can I then erase that par.ti.ti.on and return it to previous state. Meaning: 1 big par.ti.ti.on, where I installed my Windows XP...

5. MrN

MrN Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 8800GT
    You can create (or resize) partitions using the free powerful tool gparted Live.

It is easier if you install each OS on a separate physical drive. If you do it right, you can remove one (Windows 7) and the other won't know anything about it.

But, if you just create a separate partition and install the other OS on it on the same physical drive, you may need to repair if you decide to remove Windows 7 and go back to the way everything was before.

I would NOT advise using Windows 7 as default to just anybody.
    I have been using Windows 7 64-bit as my mail OS for a month or so. But, I have automated backup of my data and I create images of my OS. So, I can easily switch my OS.

6. Flopster

Flopster Banned

GPU:
    Club3D 8600GTS 256MB
    I'm using a 80gb HDD, so I can't spare a lot of free space and that repairing stuff sounds kinda complicated and I'm afraid I might screw something up, since I'm left without Windows XP dvd, I'll be left with nothing, though I backed up some data which I may need further on.

So, maybe I should just drop the whole idea, though I wanted to try Win7 out...

7. MrN

MrN Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 8800GT
    Your assessment is a wise one.
    I have been multi booting for 7 years. I still screw up at times. That is why I have images and backups that let me restore my machine in case of a screw up. I would never do it otherwise.

8. Flopster

Flopster Banned

GPU:
    Club3D 8600GTS 256MB
    Oh, well... Thanks for the reply's! Guess I'll better be safe, than sorry and leve this kinda deal to someone who knows what's what...