A few Audigy 2 problems....

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by Captain Morsa, Jan 15, 2003.

1. Captain Morsa

Captain Morsa Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus ATI 9600XT 128Mb
    Can't play DVD audio! Can't install update to DVD Audio from Creative Web Site!
    When i put DVD audio it opens Power DVD... not creative media source!
    Can't do AutoDriverUpdate, only manual, it say that canot find any Creative Sound Card!
    When i listen to mp3, sound glitches if i turn on EAX effects.

Beside that, the card is working perfectly!
    I love it.

Win98
    ;)

2. Jw_Leonhart

Jw_Leonhart Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeforceGTX 770 SC
    yupppp...... It's kinda odd you are having all these problems dude. Personally if it's that bad I would assume maybe your sharing an IRQ with another important device or something. Either that or your drivers are whacked or something is wrong with your card. EAX shouldn't cause any problems dude. Either that or downgrade if you are having a problem unless you can't return that card for a new one. I would try for something more like an original Audigy or onboard sound. If you have the A7N8X I would definantly try the SoundStorm it comes with. The quality on it is just as good as the Audigy's almost and the options are up the butt!

3. Captain Morsa

GPU:
    Asus ATI 9600XT 128Mb
    Fixed the gliches! Vcool software was causing it! About DVD audio i find out that Creative software for DVD Audio, doesn't work on WIN98, so...., the only problem i have is the autoupdate, that in my point is a tinny problem!

Still loving the A2!!!

4. Scant

Scant Guest

I dont see anything out of the ordinary. When I had my A2, I'd get WinXP Error pop ups every 30 mins, couldnt open the mixer, or any of the other things the drivers installed, my computer would reboot or I'd get an error msg. Other than that the card was great. But I took it back, because I don't like the fact I couldnt get in the freakin speaker settings.

5. cloudman

cloudman Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus CU II GTX 780
    Believe me if you get the audigy2 installed on the right system it simply ROCKS! With that said I wouldn't install it on anything but xp run systems.

6. Gzilla

Gzilla Member

Hey Captain,

I can sympathize with you regarding the pain of a Win98 Audigy 2 install.:)

I couldn't get the autoupdate to work either. I did finally get the card up and running and am now concerned about trying to update drivers. The card sounds great and I just don't want to screw it up now that it works.

I am still using the WDM drivers that came on the bundled CD. Did you see the sheet in the box for Win98 users regarding WDM vs. VXD drivers? Which one's are you using? Did you successfully install the updates by DL'ing them manually and then installing? Did you do all the updates or just the drivers?

Sorry to be flooding you with questions but I haven't seen many people using this card with Win98se.

Thanks for the info.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2003
  7. Captain Morsa

GPU:
    Asus ATI 9600XT 128Mb
    I've downloaded all the files from the site, and installed them all! Drivers update, and all the others updates!

The only update that not worked was the DVD Audio Player update, and it didn't work because that program, doesn't work in Win98, only in XP and 2000.

All the updates, run great! Audigy is running at 100%, 100% stable for now, and great great sound!!!

I've been playing SOF II that came with A2, and i'm loving that game, almost as i love Medal of Honor Allied Assault... I'ts fast even with high detail settings, and the sound coming from my A2 to my Inspire 5300...... Fantastic!!!!!!!!!

About VXD or WDM, i've heard of it, but i don't know which am i using, if you tell me the way to find out...

8. Gzilla

Gzilla Member

If you were using the default drivers on the CD that came the Audigy2 you were using the WDm's. I would assume that the driver updates etc. from the website would be WDM too.

Did you get a yellowish sheet in your box with the heading "Attention Win98 Users" or something like that. What they tell you is, you can uninstall the WDM's with a little uninstall applet included on the CD, and then install the VXD's which are also on the CD.

This is supposed to be more stable for running games that support DirectSound and EAX. I don't know. Like I said, I've been reading the forums and newsgroups and have not run across many using this card on Win98se.

Are you running any "older " games? Battlefield 1942, NFSHP2, RTCW all run great. But like High Heat Baseball 2003, Links 2001, just don't sound right. Sound fluctuates with mouse movements and Links displays error messages.

If you're running great I wouldn't worry about the VXD's. I just wonder if these VXD's or maybe the new drivers would give me more stability with the older stuff. Then again would they (especially the VXD's) screw up what I've already got running well.

I'd be interested to hear if you are running any older games etc.
    or from anyone else running the Audigy2 on Win98se.

Thanks

9. Captain Morsa

GPU:
    Asus ATI 9600XT 128Mb
    Right now, i only play MOHAA, SOF II, UT, Army Ops, all of them running great!