1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A bizarre problem with freesync on Nvidia - please help!

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Danny_G13, Jun 20, 2019.

1. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA FTW 2080Ti OC
    Ok, I've sort of asked about this before, and I'm still struggling to fix it. I don't know if I was overly clear in how I requested assistance, so I'll try again.

As we know Nvidia introduced full compatibility to freesync through their drivers in January. Obviously this opened up a whole new pathway for us Nvidia users who don't have a gsync monitor.

However, while it works beautifully in 99% of games, I'm learning there's a handful that all elicit the same glitch response, and I can't figure it out.

In short, for a minority of games, the power fluctuates below 99% and the framerate craps out. Then goes back to 99% and works again. Then craps out again. On and off. Up and down like a yoyo in game.

This is ONLY in freesync mode - with normal fixed refresh on there's not a power issue anywhere to be seen. In any game. It's locked in 99% at all times. Sorted.

But in those handful of games, in freesync mode ALONE, the power dips and swerves all over the place.

So, it's a freesync power glitch with Nvidia.

My question is has anyone seen this before, noticed this before, and does anyone have a cure?

I'll be your bestest friend if you do!

2. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 390/GTX1070M
    Would also help if you told us what monitor.

3. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA FTW 2080Ti OC
    LG 27UK650

The freesync compatibility thing may be partly true but why do 98% of all games run just fine but a few have these drop outs? And no, I don't believe this monitor is among the officially verified ones.

4. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 390/GTX1070M
    My Samsung has frame drops due to a firmware bug, but I can address it by resetting the monitor.

5. Kaune

Kaune Active Member

GPU:
    AMD Ryzen 2400G APU
    I don't have a fix for you unfortunately, as I don't own a monitor capable of Freesync/Gsync but I do find the issue interesting.
    Please list the games that are exhibiting this problem so when I am able to, and experiencing the same, I can reflect back to your list if need be.

6. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA FTW 2080Ti OC
    Sure, for anyone else too:

Wildlands, Anthem, Plague Tale. Just the three.

7. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA FTW 2080Ti OC
    Interesting. I could try that. Or even update my monitor's firmware. If I can.

8. Kaune

Kaune Active Member

GPU:
    AMD Ryzen 2400G APU
    Thanks a lot

9. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    if your screen has a crap variable range and goes into vsync mode, framerates will be reduced to half of what you would get without vsync and can in turn reduce gpu loading enough that it gets stuck at low power 3d, or even flips between the performance states.

10. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA FTW 2080Ti OC
    I tried a variant of this. I turned the monitor off and on rather than sleep. I was more than a touch surprised when the issue reduced massively. You may have helped a significant amount here. It's not totally gone but it definitely improved from that. So thank you.

11. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 390/GTX1070M
    Other things to try out:

1) For problematic games, tick "Disable Fullscreen Optimizations" for the game's .exe properties. (If you haven't already) This will disable the mutant DWM mode for exclusive fullscreen. As of late, I use RTSS Scanline Sync and VSync disabled in conjunction with GSync.

You may also be getting some hitching/drop frames because of having VSync enabled, and hitting maxfps of monitor's refresh. At maxfps, the game will use VSync, and when below that, then it uses VRR. Switching modes has some nasty latency.

2) Check monitor's OSD menu and check if you have any pixel timing enhancements enabled or Response Time setting. (Typically Standard, Faster, Fastest, or some other Enhanced Mode) Set it to Standard. On mine, it screws up FreeSync.

12. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA FTW 2080Ti OC
    1: Makes no difference.

V-sync - having it off restores tearing unfortunately.

2: Tried this, no bag.

The problem is still there, but the monitor off then on made a difference on the one occasion I tried it. I just kind of forgot to do it since haha.