A bit of a problem..

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by Matt33, Feb 13, 2007.

1. Matt33

Matt33 Member

GPU:
    XFX GeForce GTX 260 BE
    So today I went ahead and upgraded my system to 2gb of ram (4x512mb), but I'm having some trouble. When I boot my bios automatically detects the settings at DDR333, 2.5-3-3-7, 2t. The ram I bought however is rated for DDR400(of course) 3-3-3-8, 1t. Not only that, but when I go into the bios and manually change the settings to what they should be, it refuses to post and won't boot at all. I've tried everything, going back to completely stock clock speeds etc but I can't get it to post if I put it on the correct settings. Please help =(

i'd also like to mention it works fine with only 2 sticks in.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2007
  2. rabidgoldfish

rabidgoldfish Member Guru

GPU:
    evga 7800gt
    dose it work fine with just the two new sticks in, and are they all kingston, and dose the new kingston work at the some voltage as the old sitcks,

3. Matt33

Matt33 Member

GPU:
    XFX GeForce GTX 260 BE
    yeah all four sticks are exactly the same and work fine when just paired as 2x512 but when i go to 4x512 is when it lowers it to ddr333 and the different timings.

4. Norvekh

Norvekh Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080 Ti
    On the Athlon 64s you must keep it at 2t timing when using 4 sticks, especially if they are double-sided. In my case I even had to loosen the timings to get it to run at DDR400 (2,3,2,5 stock 2.5,3,3,6 to run). That's just one of the side effects of the internalized memory controller with the s754 and s939 Athlon 64s though the later revisions helped quite a bit.

5. Matt33

Matt33 Member

GPU:
    XFX GeForce GTX 260 BE
    so your saying if i leave at at 2t and manually set it up to ddr400 it should work ?

6. Psychlone

Psychlone Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD5970 Engineering
    Set it manually to 400MHz in the BIOS, and you should be golden. Some boards don't have a problem running at 400MHz 1T, but most do with 4 sticks, even if they are identical...it's part of the HT bus that's screwing up at that point.
    BUT - you're probably running a divider such as 333 (166) anyway at the speed you've got that CPU running at...if not, your RAM is incredibly flexible.

Psychlone

7. Matt33

Matt33 Member

GPU:
    XFX GeForce GTX 260 BE
    yeah i run it at a ddr333 divider anyways but i reset back to default clocks and was trying to run it at ddr400 with 1t timings because i was confused why it had switched it to 2t since normally im ddr333 1t. now i know why and i have it running fine again thanks for the help.