1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A bit of a noob on this topic... PAL vs NTSC

Discussion in 'The HTPC, HDTV & Ultra High Definition section' started by DSparil, Feb 27, 2018.

1. DSparil

DSparil Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS ROG StriX RX480, 8GB
    So I just ordered up a new Sony BDP-S6500 4K Blu-Ray Player, so I could upscale my existing Blu-Ray movies to 4K on my new television. I also picked up a "Region Free" Blu-Ray from Finland, and am hoping this will play on my new unit. If the Blu-Ray itself is region free, shouldn't it play on a North American NTSC machine? Or would the machine have to support PAL or also be region free? I am not certain how all of this works, with the whole region free thing....

Thanks ahead guru's

2. Nijohc

Nijohc Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 970
    As far as I know it should play fine if it's region free. Don't think PAL/NTSC is really relevant nowadays with modern displays/players.

DSparil likes this.
  3. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AorusXtreme 1080Ti
    PAL/NTSC is no longer relevant nowadays now that everything is digital and in HD. Only old composite/SVideo/Scart which are analog are subject to PAL/NTSC and most TV's or players with those inputs/outputs will support both.

The only thing that should matter in your case is the Region of the Blu-Rays, if they are region free then they will work.

DSparil likes this.
  4. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    PAL and NTSC has nothing to do with region lock/free playback. Region lock is about matching disks and players - they should be of the same region code. This thing is completely artificial limitation brought to get more money from consumers around the world.

5. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970 STRIX
    As mentioned, PAL/NTSC is only relevant when it comes to DVD's and TV.

So yeah, you will be fine with the BluRay if it's region free, most (sometimes European discs can be 24fps instead of 23.976fps) of the time it's the exact same transfer no matter were you buy it, just the artificial restrictions encoded on the disc and built into the player.

6. DSparil

DSparil Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS ROG StriX RX480, 8GB
    Awesome, thanks everyone. It appears I should be GTG then. A lot of the cool steel book blu-ray's don't seem to be coming out in the states, and I found a good vendor in Finland.