9900k to new intel or Amd

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by goat1, Sep 2, 2022.

1. goat1

goat1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4090 Strix OC
    Is it worth it? I game at 4k. I'm assuming no..

2. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    well chances are the current intel platform (z600 series) is not going to get another cpu release past raptor lake, whereas the upcoming amd platform will offer more cpu upgrade opportunities in the future. meaning that you wouldn't have to buy a new motherboard presumably. Of course if you don't intend on upgrading for a long time(>5 years), it probably doesn't matter all that much.

3. bobnewels

bobnewels Maha Guru

GPU:
    amd
    Hope this will make some sense with crap below but 9900K is a damm fine CPU for 4K PC Gaming.

My experience especially if you use Gsync/Freesync/adaptive sync that is another thing to consider with 9900K(For example on my LG 65" OLED monitor Gsync range can be set 24HZ-120Hz)

The last couple years I have used around a dozen different CPU's in my PC Gaming machine.I play PC Games at 4K and the truth is with any of the CPU's I could not tell the difference in FPS be it AMD 2600K or 12900K 5500Mhz all core. This would be with high end GPU.

Your 9900K is more than enough for 4K PC Gaming.The problem is a mans ego and if that ego thinks he is not getting the same as a stranger on the internet,then the ego may be spending more money for no gains.

I agree with @user1 above if you have the itch to upgrade CPU then best path forward is AMD platform with new release next month. You will get 5 years upgrade path from AMD ,not so much Intel.

Shadow of the Tomb Raider same area on AMD 5800X and Intel 12900K CPU's and even with different RTRX GPU's with my monitor I still get the around the same experience and if you turned off the overlay lets say with your 9900K you would get the same experience with a high end GPU on Gsync/Freesync/adaptive sync.

Shadow of the Tomb Raider AMD 5800X up to 5150Mhz RTX 3080

Shadow of the Tomb Raider Intel 12900K up to 5400Mhz RTX 3090- RTX max settings shown at start to compare to your 9900K if you have RTX GPU

4. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    Now at 4K, the CPU is not that important. With a 9900K, I doubt you will be bottlenecked.

Regardless, if you are set on an upgrade, wait a bit for reviews.
    Zen4 will be out at the end of September. And Raptor Lake will be out by the end of October.

5. pimpineasy

pimpineasy Master Guru

GPU:
    1050ti/Rx570
    It is a bad time to buy New Gen Cpu for the fact they are all on DDR 5 Gen 1.
    Alder Lake Rev01
    Raptor Lake Rev02 +10% ipc vs rev01
    Meteor Lake Rev03 +10% ipc vs rev02 Usually best time to upgrade plus your killing the dinosaurs!! will probably see better DDR 5 support here.
    Arrow Lake Rev04 10% ipc vs rev03 but Arch is now EOL which doesnt matter much on Intels side of things since they make you buy new mobos. Or arrow lake ends up being a mobile chips or some crap.

Best bet is to wait for Lunar Lake For Performance, Cost, software experience, and available hardware ratio.

Although, if you really wanna upgrade Day 1 a new i5 13600k with mid tier mobo will probably run you $500 and at least give you the latest IPC gain which are pretty good compared to 9th gen cpu being pushed spector updates that broke its performance instead of increased it.
    Id wait for Benchmarks & Security Analyst Reviews before dumping $1500 on Raptor Lake i9. Unless, your workloads are build environments, virtual machines or your a first time buyer. Never know what the Bugs are gonna pop up or what the tech trends will nerf your cpu with patches.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 3, 2022
  6. USB and fTPM issues with Ryzen have me going to Intel next build.

I could do VR with a HMD and 3 sensors and a $10 eBay USB hub no problem with a Kaby Lake laptop, but my X470 board requires me to use the 3rd-party ASMedia USB controller for the HMD, the single USB-A CPU-connected port for a rear sensor, and two front sensors on chipset USB ports. That was only figured out after hours of troubleshooting sensor disconnects and tracking issues and figuring out what the difference was with the USB ports. And oddly the USB-C port on this board won't output power to a Quest 2, but does so fine with other devices. I've heard of issues on 500-series with VR and USB also, so I'm not confident AMD knows how to handle USB.

The fTPM ordeal is odd-enough to have me question what else might be being overlooked. This also only affected Ryzen.

Why_Me likes this.
  7. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    ROFL, this really was a blah blah I cant figure out how to make my stuff work on my ryzen setup, and puke this non related stuff to the OP question.
    Good job, you failed.

GREGIX and bobnewels like this.
  8. Why_Me

Why_Me Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI OC 8800GT 512
    Raptor Lake supports DDR4.

9. chinobino

chinobino Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3060Ti Gaming X
    What GPU do you have?

10. kman

kman Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 tuf OC edition
    I have been on a 9900k since 2018 and was considering getting a 12900k but I keep seeing threads/videos of people on their gaming rigs having stuttering issues in some games that go away when they turn off the E-cores.(yes even on w11)
    I kept waiting incase they fixed the issue with the scheduler but it seems to be still an ongoing issue.

E-core for gaming atleast seem redundant and in alot of cases they seem to be a detriment to gaming so you might want to wait for the new AMD/Raptor cpu's just incase something changes.

As for your main question.
    If you're playing a high refresh rate monitor the better the cpu the more stable your fps and the better your frametime (smoother gameplay)
    At 60hz a 9900k is be gonna plenty.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2022

11. GREGIX

GREGIX Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3d 4090 X3
    Depends. Most the time no.
    But, saying this, I went that path, ie I had 9900kf@5Ghz, 16Gb ram at 4200c16 with tight and optimized timings(sec and such as) which resulted in nice 58k read/write 57k copy area and 37ns latency. With 6800xt. And 24" tn 240hz plus 48" LG C1. In August I swapped it for 5800x3d.
    The thing is...I could not play games like Insurgency Sandstorm at 4k with acceptable(for me) 120+FPS, was sometimes in 80ish area. I had to lower res, to 3840*1600, and had like 140-180FPS.

With 5800x3d, now, I swapped RAM to 32Gb 3200c14@3800c16 and surprisingly to me, I checked yesterday Sandstorm and FPS at 4K never diped below 120FPS. Or, at lest, I did not noticed any slowdowns or had time to check actual FPS, but it was most the time 130+. I said I checked yesterday, because most of the time, last 2 months, I was playing MMO, FF14.
    And as FF14, 9900kf in cities could drop to 50-60FPS area, while same settings(res 3840*1800) and x3d I never saw dip below 89FPS, and to be honest, due energy prices, heat and noise I reluctantly activated Radeon Chill, which reduces FPS, in my case minimal FPS I set was 90.

So my part of it is - IF U CAN WAIT, wait for new zen 4 x3d or new 13xxx intel series. Depends what, in what usage, will be better for you. Esp zen 4 x3d could be fine, dropping some crap DDR5 on it, run it on 6000 and there would almost be no difference between this and liek g.skill RAM.
    OR stick to what u have now. :p

mezball likes this.
  12. goat1

goat1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4090 Strix OC
    Now its oct 2023. The 14900k is out this month. I have a 4090. How much am I leaving on the table using the 9900k still at 4k?

13. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4090 TUF
    It's already out. ;)
    A whole lot, especially in minimum FPS and stutters. I myself had a 9900K before and going to a 12900KS improved 4K gaming performance and general smoothness a lot (the only changes to the system were the CPU and mainboard), I didn't think it would.

Upgrade to an 8 core+ AMD 7xxxX3D series or 8-P-Core+ Intel 14th, 13th or 12th gen CPU if you can (since the 14th gen doesn't really cost more than a 13th gen, a 14700K or higher would probably be a good idea if you go with Intel, unless you find a good deal on 13th or 12th gen), depending on your budget and what else you wish to do with your PC or if you want a good CPU upgrade path down the line.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2023
  14. bobnewels

bobnewels Maha Guru

GPU:
    amd
    I have a 14900KF and there was no difference in 4K PC Gaming for me over various CPU's.
    I still think 9900K is good but according to this chart this is how much your missing out.
    AMD is the better way to go at 4K bnecause it has 2 more CPU cycles left for the motherboard.14900K dead end.

[​IMG]

15. goat1

goat1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4090 Strix OC
    I know this thread is a little older. The CPU hasn't been on my radar being as it works and I got busy with other things. But.. Now that the new AMD chips are coming out, I'm thinking of switching to an AMD 9000 series when the X3D comes out in the fall. That should be a huge upgrade.

Valken likes this.

16. DirtyDee

DirtyDee Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4090 Gaming
    Nice, you should even see an improvement at 4K especially in more demanding games that utilize DLSS. A better CPU will help out quite a bit.

17. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    Your MIN FPS will love you with that X3D CPU. I'm just waiting for the right RTRT 4K GPU, and PSVR2 drivers for my next GPU upgrade.

18. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    Went from 9900KS @5.2 all core to a 7800X3D and the jump in fps was higher than I expected. I play at 1080p though (framerate junky), so no idea how much gains you'll have in 4K. At this point I would probably sit tight till the 9800X3D is released as well though ;)

(if I can keep the same mobo, etc, I might even get a 9800X3D and just plop this in my motherboard)

Last edited: Jun 25, 2024