9900k showing 5Ghz Stable but throttling on 100% usage **FIXED** sort of

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by fr33k, Feb 21, 2021.

1. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Its throttling.
    See post 10.

2. vf

vf Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon™
    Who said 110C? That's thermal nuclear.

3. fr33k

fr33k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA XC3 Ultra 3080
    gigabyte apparently

4. fr33k

fr33k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA XC3 Ultra 3080
    UPDATE and success.

Seems that i had to rotate my block 90 degrees because on ASUS some caps get in the way.
    now my temps are sub 30 idle and i can run cinebench with no overheats.

*edit however after some testing it still swaps between 5.0 to 4.7 during usage. I thought it might be avx offset but they disabled the avx instructions in cp77 what else could it be? im gonna leave it alone for now but if anyone has any insight i'd love it.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2021

5. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    they didn't disable them, they removed an unncessary check, the game still uses whatever instruction sets the system offers.

6. fr33k

fr33k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA XC3 Ultra 3080
    ok but what about just idling and swapping between 4.7 and 5.0. how many things can i be using that has avx?

7. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    no idea, you'd just have to close things down until it doesn't do it.

8. Mechwarrior419

Mechwarrior419 Member

GPU:
    980TI 1515mhz Core
    Just throwing this out there because I have had similar throttling issues in the past. This was with an i7 3960x ( Sandy Bridge-E 6c/12t). Temps where ok but I still was seeing my core clock drop under heavy load.
    Turned out it was because the VRMs were overheating. Unfortunately when using watercooling, weather that be an AIO or custom loop, Your boards VRMs can end up with very little airflow. In my case the solution was to jerry rig a fan with some zip ties to point right at the VRMs and this solved the throttling problem for me. Worth a shot if you have an extra fan laying around somewhere not being used. Take the side panel off and aim the fan directly at the VRMs at full RPM and run your favorite stress test. I wouldn't go with Prime95, as it places a completely unrealistic load on your CPU. My suggestion would be to try Aida64 and in the stress test section Select CPU, FPU, Cache, Memory and GPU. This will replicate a heavy gaming load fairly well. Run it for a few hours and see if you notice any throttling