99% GPU Usage after 1-2 Hours of Non-Gaming Use

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Stukinit, Feb 28, 2011.

1. Stukinit

Stukinit Member Guru

GPU:
    2 XFX 5850 XXX CF
    Hi all,

I Have a somewhat perplexing problem and I can't seem to find any specific answer as to why this is happening, so here goes:

I have 2 5850 XXX Edition Cards in CFX that work fine. Absolutely Perfect. But when I'm not gaming and I use my computer for longer than a couple hours, my GPU usage literally SHOOTS up to 99% for no apparent reason, and then stays there until a restart. I've googled, forum searched and Binged to no avail and am at wit's end.

I've reinstalled drivers, installed old drivers, installed new drivers and even had windows choose them (ugh. Don't remind me.) I've driversweeper'd in safe mode after uninstalling them and then once again just to make sure they were gone after that!

NOTE: I am not prepared/willing to do a Full OS reinstall atm because I don't have an external backup that is big enough for all 1.3 TB's of video/games/movies etc. to stick them. Plus I need my computer to work right now for all the school crap I have to do, so that's a no-go for the moment.

I normally wouldn't care, but seeing as this happens a lot I'm worried that the lifespan of the card will be decreased since it is running so stressed for so long (I don't usually notice until a LOOOOOONG time after it starts).

Current Drivers are Cat 10.10 (According to CCC)
    Clocks are stock for 2D mode, 755 1125 and VERY light OC for 3D 775, 1125
    1.087 Volts for both settings
    I have AfterBurner v2.1.0 Beta 7
    Windows 7 Professional x64

Anything else I need to include please let me know.

2. CaliMnTSnaKe

CaliMnTSnaKe Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 260 700/1425
    Is MSI Afterburner reporting 100% usage? if so try to run gpuz and in the sensors tab watch for the gpu load could be Afterburner reporting wrong usage secondly try a clean install of the final none beta version of afterburner.

3. att_user

att_user Banned

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5870 2 GB
    Your problem could be related to the Firefox 4 webbrowser or an old version of the Adobe Flash Player. Just try to set "Hardware Acceleration" for internet video to disable in Flash Player control panel and see if your problem is solved. :nerd:

Last edited: Feb 28, 2011
  4. gamerk2

gamerk2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA 570 GTX 1.2 GB
    Folding@Home?

5. Stukinit

Stukinit Member Guru

GPU:
    2 XFX 5850 XXX CF
    Uninstalled F@H more than a month ago, I checked the GPUz and it read 99% too, and as for the flashplayer I couldn't find where that control panel is... :/

Thank you for the replies!

6. johnniedoo

johnniedoo New Member

GPU:
    SAPPHIRE HD7950oc/3g/
    I just started to notice this issue on both my computers which each have an asus 5870 one is the v2. i use msi afterburner in both and am up to the latest version of afterburner2. i have tried everything i can think of. i updated to windows7 sp1 on one computer and am unable to get the other similar computer with its own separate win7 prof. x64. this has just started in this computer in the past week, the other one has been at least 3weeks.
    i am stumped as to the cause and i have to reboot to make it go away. it has happened after being in sleep state for a couple of hours with no apps running . i had first attributed it to after i closed windows media center as it is the first time i noticed it. i only use that app on one of these computers. but now it is on both and just spontaneous after sleep.
    thought i would put my 2ยข in here as i just googled the issue since i can not find it in my usual haunts
    i do not use these in crossfire but in 2 different computers with amd phenomII, one is the 965 and the other is the 1090T both have 8gig of ddr3 1600, though one is cl7 and hte other is cl9 timing
    john

7. att_user

att_user Banned

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5870 2 GB
    The Flash Player control panel will be displayed if you right klick on a flash video for example on youtube and choose "Settings".