9800pro AGP 128mb, retire or find a new motherboard

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Tom_Sawyer, Jan 19, 2007.

1. Tom_Sawyer

Tom_Sawyer New Member

Good afternoon all. I have not been here in a while, lost my original id and email eons again its seems lol

In any event my secondary computer is, err was, an AGP based 939 socket AMD machine. The cpu is an amd 3000 and the motherboard was a gigabyte low end board that lasted for about 5 months then went belly up.

Newegg was kind and refunded my money but searching around I realize that the era of AGP is over and there are very very few 939 socket agp boards.

Since this is my secondary machine I built for my son I am trying to get some advice which way to go. The price of both AGP and PCI-E mainboards are nearly similar for the low to mid range systems and since to me the main board will be free (refund money) I am trying to decide if should I keep the 9800pro ATI 128mb card I have had for some time now. It has an artic ice cooler revision 3 on it and its been a good card.

But should I retire it and step up to PCI-E what is the equivalent card or a bit better that you would recommend that is not going to break the bank? Can be ATI or NVIDIA, I just need something that can play games like RailRoads! and Rail Road Tycoon 3 as well as online games from Disney and Veggie Tales (My son is 5 and a train fanatic)

Thanks in advance, any sound advice welcome!

2. BlueStinger

BlueStinger Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon X1950XT 256mb
    Try to source an ASRock 939Dual-SATA2 or VSTA board as both support AGP and PCI-E so you can utilise your cpu, ram and 9800pro. Then you can upgrade to a PCI-E card when you can/want.

3. weston

weston Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 275
  4. Sfolivier

Sfolivier Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire X1950XT 256mb (672/972)
    For a secondary computer, I'll just look for a $45 AGP 939 motherboard to keep it alive. But I don't really upgrade my "secondary" computer, I just sell it when my primary rig becomes the secondary one.

5. Grifty

Grifty Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX HD 6870 1GB
  6. Karl 2

Karl 2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 295
    Getting a PCIe mobo and new PCIe card would be more expensive than using the current card on a new AGP mobo but this would extend the system's life for quite a while. The problem with an older AGP card is that if it ever quits, replacing will be quite costly. As for the current PCIe equivalent of the 9800 Pro consensus seems to agree on the 6600 GT. The PCIe combo would set you off by about $200 though, versus maybe $80 for a new AGP motherboard only.

7. Karl 2

Karl 2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 295
  8. Tom_Sawyer

Tom_Sawyer New Member

Yeah I was looking at those but they are out of stock and back ordered.

Now I am looking for the asrock dual sata-2 board that was the rage a year ago.....

If not then perhaps I will wait for the DX10 cards, save my pennies and move the evga nf-41 and 7800 to my sons computer, and get a new mainboard, dx10 card for my phase cooled opty machine

9. CTman

CTman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 6800 V9999