9800np to 9800pro?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by gobd, Sep 2, 2003.

1. gobd

gobd Guest

Is there a way to do this? If so please tell me how and if it will work with this 9800np Also, how much performace gain would i get from doing this?

I searched the forums and also google and i didn't find anything.

2. Neo-Spike

Neo-Spike Member Guru

GPU:
    Ati 9800 pro
    yea what is the performance gain if you mod your card ...i just want to know couse i shelled out the $420us for the 9800 pro :)

3. David

David Guest

thats what i hate about overclockers, you spend 420 odd bucks on the best of the best video card, and someone who spends 200 bucks on a second hand card gets the performance you are getting on your top of the line card. really annoying. no offense to all you overclockers.

*pulls out baseball bat for self defense from the anticipated people who will be offended*

4. bourbon

bourbon Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Raedon 9800 flashed to pro
    Yeah, it is. I just did it a week ago with that exact card (given that yours has 3.3 samsung ram.) Theres a thread in this forum about it. More importantly, check this out

5. gobd

gobd Guest

Thanks much for the help, thta FutureMark thread looks like exactly what i wanted. I'll probably be buying the cad within the next few days and after i get the card running i'll do some comparisons between the 9800np and the 9800np flashed to a pro. There probably won't be much of a difference because my CPU will be a huge bottleneck but, but i will be upgrading my CPU next.

6. bourbon

bourbon Master Guru

GPU:
    You're exactly like me, I'm going to upgrade my 1800+ soon. Even with this processor, I'm yet to find a game where I can't run max settings with the AA and atistrophy cranked up.

7. gobd

gobd Guest

When HL2 comes out i know i won't have the best performace, but it will be good enough to play :) I will probably have to wait untill christmas to upgrade my CPU and by then i should be able to get a much better CPU for cheaper.

I'm going to buy the 9800 from GameVE because someone on another forum had very great experiences overclocking it, he got it to well over 9800Pro stock speeds. It is item VC-SA-022 at GameVE.

8. bourbon

bourbon Master Guru

GPU:
    Same one as on newegg. People from newegg have been getting the 3.3 samsung ram which is great for overclocking. Hopefully gameve has the same or something equivalent. Good luck!

9. Neo-Spike

Neo-Spike Member Guru

GPU:
    Ati 9800 pro
    o well id rather have the pro for when hl2 and horizons comes out ^_^

10. RaoulDuke4413

RaoulDuke4413 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 280 3gb
    wow....

...from a GF3 Ti200 to a Sapphire 9800NP to a Sapphire 9800 Pro in 1 day. I'm not certain if can handle much more excitement. Thanks for the link, Bourbon :) . I think I'm going to go calm my nerves with some high power booze now (my hands were shaking in fear as I typed in the command to flash the bios). I cannot believe how easy that was.

11. bourbon

bourbon Master Guru

GPU:
    Re: wow....

No problem. When I flashed mine, I was pretty shaky, my heart was going like crazy.

12. RaoulDuke4413

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 280 3gb
    Heh heh, I get great enjoyment going to the device manager and seeing "RADEON 9800 PRO" under display adapter :) . It is, now, isn't it? If I'm not mistaken, the only difference between the two was the clock speeds, right? Now, all that's left to do is get a new cpu (my new board, ram, and hard drive should be here today!). It was nice to finally see the nature test in 3dmark03, too, heh heh. It's nice to not have to worry about system req.'s again.

13. cuaghe

cuaghe New Member

GPU:
    ATI Mobility 16mb
    H fans, I have a quick question. I'm am going to build me a computer since my laptop is pathetic at graphics. I was wondering if Saphire 9800 Non Pro is well worth it? I don't plan to over clock anything but there is a huge price difference between the Non Pro and Pro version. Can you guys give me a little advice? Well...Doom 3 looks kinda nice in the future for me. Thank you very much. Any little help is appreciative.

14. RaoulDuke4413

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 280 3gb
    I'm glad I spent the money on mine. I usually don't spend that much on a vid. card. It seems to be a great card so far (I've only had it for a couple of days). It should play Doom 3 fine, as it is a DX 9 card and Doom 3 is a DX 9 game. From what I've heard, the only difference between a NP and PRO is that the Memory and GPU clock speeds are higher on the PRO. The difference in performance between the two cards isn't very great, though.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2003
  15. Dzhedaj

Dzhedaj Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire X800GTO 256MB @6
    Doom3 isn't a dx9 game.....

16. THunDA

THunDA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Powercolor x1900xtx 675/783
    you's are right why the hell didnt I buy a non-pro and flash it..lol duh..
    Then again sometimes its fun to buy the top of the line and then see how much further it will go :D..
    Good luck with your new card tho..I know I was one happy dude goin from a 4600ti to a 9800pro.. :D

THunDA

17. Neo-Spike

Neo-Spike Member Guru

GPU:
    Ati 9800 pro
    Um are you sure the non pro has 8 pipelines and 256 bit interface?... (well i just checked) the pure r9800 non pro does have 8 pipelines but 128 interface heheh talk about bottlenecking....

Last edited: Sep 4, 2003
  18. RaoulDuke4413

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 280 3gb
    I got lucky, I didn't even know you could do that trick with those cards before I bought it. If I had the money, I would probably just go and buy a PRO, but with my current financial situation...$400 is just way too much...heck, $235 was almost too much (I usually spend $150) heh heh. It's been a while since I've done an entire system upgrade, I forgot how much fun it is!

As for Doom3, I always thought it was meant for DX9. Sorry about that, I'm not exactly the most knowledgable on these types of things. What is the lowest version of DX that it will run on? As low as DX 7 compliant cards? I tried running the alpha on my GF3, and it was almost a slide show.

19. RaoulDuke4413

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 280 3gb
  20. Neo-Spike

Neo-Spike Member Guru

GPU:
    Ati 9800 pro
    thats diffrent then i took specs from a ati r9800pro then it makes sense why that would mod then i see.....hmmmm