9800np flashed to pro!!!

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by GrnEggsNHam, Aug 21, 2003.

1. assuluto

assuluto Guest

Fair enough, but why is it such a complicated procedure to install them?

2. KillerSneak

KillerSneak Banned

GPU:
    2x HD 3870's CrossFireX
    It's so complicated because ATI makes it so complicated.... Best wai to install my drivers is, uninstall the ControlPanel and then install my drivers.. :D Thats not complicated at all

3. GrnEggsNHam

GrnEggsNHam Member

GPU:
    Radeon 9800 128mb np with the pro b
    Well guys I forgot my LAN password and that is why I had not replied in so long... thanks pertaining to my scores :) but It does not seem like I will be OC'ing too much untill the AC is fixed in our dorm... It works but not so good so our avg. room temp is like 30 C. If you are lookeing for higher benchmarks do not use the DNA drivers. But if you want better performance in-game then use the DNA's. I for one prefer gameing over benchmarking so :).

4. mOpToP

mOpToP Guest

There are 4 kinds of Radeon 9800's. 9800 Pro, 9800 Non-Pro and 9800 SE (2)

The Pro is the top of the line. The non Pro is just an underclocked Pro with a little slower ram. and the SE is underclocked a little farther with one version having 128bit ram and 4 pipelines and the other having 256bit ram and 4 pipelines. The 9800 Pro and 9800 Non-Pro both have 256bit ram and 8 texture pipelines.

I dont have the balls to flash my bios yet since I dont have another 250$ just laying aroud incase something happens. But I have heard everywhere I go that the Saphire 9800 Non-Pro is a pretty badass card. Almost everyone who has got one has been able to overclock greatly and/or flash it to Pro. Besides I gain only minimal performance with it overclocked because I am CPU limited now hehe. =/

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2003

5. assuluto

assuluto Guest

I got the underclocked 9800 Pro but with Infinion RAM :rolleyes:

6. KillerSneak

KillerSneak Banned

GPU:
    2x HD 3870's CrossFireX
    What is teh Underclocked 9800 PRO ? i dont know that

We have?

Radeon 9800 non PRO
    Radeon 9800 128 PRO
    Radeon 9800 256 PRO
    Radeon 9800 SE 128BIT BUS 128MB
    Radeon 9800 SE 256BIT BUS 128MB

So MR mOpToP i got 14 posts and want to act like im an WiZkId how many versions are there?

7. assuluto

assuluto Guest

Well the non-Pro is just an underclocked Pro, my core/mem if i can remember is at 300/290 and i got 256-bit memory and 8 pipelines, the only downside is that i got 3.0ns infinion memory and aparently that sucks

8. KillerSneak

KillerSneak Banned

GPU:
    2x HD 3870's CrossFireX
    LoL that's why it's called an NON pro but it still KicKs major A$$

9. assuluto

assuluto Guest

I know, i love it, all i need to make t complete is some Tweakmonster BGA ramsinks then i can overclock it like the mofo that it is:D

10. mOpToP

mOpToP Guest

No i just posted what I thought was correct, jesus man dont get all pissy over nothing.

9800 Pro
    9800 Non-Pro
    9800 SE 128bit
    9800 SE 256bit

Those should be correct I think, if not, then oh well I messed up. BTW, number of posts doesnt mean jack.

11. Zoso4

Zoso4 Member

GPU:
    HD 7850
    Would like to add another happy person here. I bought the 9800np form Newegg for 250. My bench marks with this card were 14655 in 2001SE and 4825 in Mark03. I then flashed it and my scores jumped to 15406 and 5444 without OC the card yet.

Was wondering if everyone who has OC this card let me know what they set it at and what software they use to do it.

Thanks.

12. JoeESSA

JoeESSA Guest

Regarding the deal at BestBuy last week. I must of lucked out as well. ATI R9800 NP with Samsung 2.8ns memory. Didn't bother flashing with R9800PRO bios as I am happy to be at PRO clock speeds, i.e 380/340MHz.

For those that are wondering how to tell what speed their GRAM is you just need to look at the part code on the BGA chips. In my case K4D26323RA-GC2A. Go to Samsung site and look it up. For GC2A maximum specified operating frequency is 350MHz....:D

13. bourbon

bourbon Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Raedon 9800 flashed to pro
    I flashed but when I got back into windows I got a BSOD. I have samsung 3.3 ram and it can easily take the needed oc (I've tested), just no luck so far. Any ideas?

14. JoeESSA

JoeESSA Guest

I don't know, I'm gettting pretty wary of the idea of flashing with the PRO bios. Just using Rage3D v3.9 to overclock the 9800 NP I can clock up to 380/350 at which point I start to see artifacts in 3DMark2001. 380/340 is artifact free in 3DMark 2001, but I can definately see some artifacts when playing back video files. I need to go down to 380/322 to get rid of the artifacts in played back video files and this is supposedly with 2.8ns Samsung memory that should be able to handle 350MHz. I tried increasing AGP voltage through the mobo's bios, but that had no effect.

Point being if the 9800NP is >$100 cheaper than the 9800 PRO then the HW cost must be getting brought down in more ways than perhaps first meets the eye. Flashing to the 9800 PRO BIOS involves taking the word of the person who started the thread at the FutureMark site. How do we know that he knew what he was talking about? Interestingly the thread at FutureMark site has now been removed. I am not so convinced that it's as simple as many people in this thread are assuming. I.e. if you have Samsung bla, bla memory then you can flash. Just not sure about that at all.

15. Zoso4

Zoso4 Member

GPU:
    HD 7850
    Well that thread was very long and I read the whole thing and it was pretty clear that it was met with success when flashed from those that did it. I have yet to OC the card but it now detects as a 9800pro and my benchmarks improved just from the flash.

I play games like EQ and SWG and have yet to see a problem it runs and looks great. Also I could revert it back if needed to its old bois. And since its OEM and Newegg is the warrenty if something goes wrong I just send it back for another one. But I dont see anything wrong and if something was going to go wrong I feel it would have happen on the flash.

16. JoeESSA

JoeESSA Guest

Zoso,

Did you read the posting by Bourbon just directly above my last posting. I.e. BSOD...

17. Zoso4

Zoso4 Member

GPU:
    HD 7850
    Yes I saw it and it happen on the flash. Something can go wrong on any mods you make to anything. You could flash your bois on your MB and it can go bad just the way it is. But for every one that had a problem on that thread which was very few they just flashed it back and all was ok. I didn't see one post from someone that said they fried their card from the flash but so many that had success and very happy now like me hehe.

edit: The bsod can be many things and the card could be fine. He might just have to do a clean install of driver etc. I dont know what he did and the steps he took but bsod dont mean the card went bad on flash. The reason is it sounds like it is fine on boot up and bsod on load of windows so it does sound like a driver issue.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2003
  18. bourbon

bourbon Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Raedon 9800 flashed to pro
    Oh, don't let me worry you folks. Something went wrong and I flashed back. NO HARM DONE. Works same as before, not a crash or bug in sight. As far as the futuremark thread being deleted, it was removed so that it could be converted into a permant sticky. All over the web people have had success. I'm going to give it another shot today, I don't know what went wrong last time but it seems that I can try as many times as I want.

19. JoeESSA

JoeESSA Guest

OK Guys,

Went for it and here's the score. Before flashing I was able to run 3DMark2001 at 380/350 where artifacts started to appear. 380/340 clean as a whistle with 3DMark2001. Apparently the weak link as far as the apps I use goes are my home made videos as I had to sink memory clock to 321.75MHz to get rid of artifacts (white, red and blue randomly appearing dots) during playback.

Flashed to 8004 BIOS and two boots later re-ran 3DMark2001 at PRO default approx. 380/340. Very minor artifacts visible and 3DMark 16700 compared 16780 at same speed before flash, so a slight degredation in my eyes. At 380/321.75 my videos were showing distinct artifacts, so flashed back to original bios and have settled for 380/121.75.

In addition, Trueform option dissapeared from Catalyst control panel with PRO bios.

So, in my case the new BIOS appeared to make things very slightly worse, but definately no improvement. As I said earlier I have Samsung 2.86ns memory on the 9800. It may be that in order to run at PRO clockspeeds the CAS latency or other timings would need to be relaxed?

Anyway, its been an interesting thread to follow and an interesting experiment and no harm done.

Joe

20. Dzhedaj

Dzhedaj Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire X800GTO 256MB @6
    Joe, have you got Infineon memory on your card? If yes, you should use the bios made specially for infineon memory cards. It has clock speeds of 380/320.
    Also the guy that god bsod, did you uninstall the old drivers before flashing? If not, windows is the one to blame. You MUST uninstall the old drivers before flashing.