9800GX2 won't install correct. (Asks for PCI to PCI bridge driver?)

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by shalati, Apr 3, 2008.

1. shalati

shalati Member

PLEASE HELP! Anyone have this problem or know anything?

I ordered an EVGA 9800GX2 to replace my EVGA 8800GTX from NewEgg. Upon installing the driver 174.74 Drivers and the default reboot afterwards, I get a message asking me to install drivers for a PCI to PCI Bridge. Also, there are 3 instances of this that it is looking for.

-I first uninstalled my 8800GTX drivers.

-I shut down my pc and replaced the video card.

-I reboot and it asked me to locate drivers for 3 PCI to PCI Bridges as well as two VGA devices. I hit cancel on all of them and installed the drivers from the CD first. That didn't work so I tried the most recent ones on nVidia's site as well as the one on EVGA's site.(All with same version 174.74 and same results)

-I have 3 choices to install this bridge: Automatic searching does nothing, and if I choose 'Ask me later' or 'Cancel' I get the same message on every reboot. If I chose 'Don't show this message again', it uninstalls my Video Drivers(which seem fine) and I get the Yellow Exclamation Point in my Device manager under 'PCI to PCI Bridge'

My system config is:
    eVGA 9800GX2
    Asus P5B-Deluxe Motherboard
    4 Gig Corsair DDR2-800 Dominator RAM(after installing the video card my usable ram went from 3072 down to 2048 as well)
    Intel Core 2 Q6600 @ 2.4Ghz
    Soundblaster X-Fi Gamer
    1000w Silverstone PSU (w/ 2 8pin PCI and 4 6Pin PCI connectors)
    Vista 32bit Ultimate

My card seems mostly fine as I get great FPS in COD4, but Crysis runs worse than my 8800GTX and Frontlines, though running much better, slows from 60FPS to 8FPS on occasion. Please help!

Thanks in Advance!

2. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    hey have you tryed putting in your 9800 while you have 8800 drivers still installed then see if that makes the error message come up (8800 & 9800 run on the same drivers)

3. AION

AION Master Guru

GPU:
    Club3D HD3850 OC
    Or reinstall your chipset drivers?

4. dukedave5200

dukedave5200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX 285 OCX - SLI
    yeah, go to the Asus website and get all the drivers for your motherboard.

5. shalati

shalati Member

I tried all new chipset drivers.

I went to ASUS and got those as well. It turns out I had the most updated ones but I still installed over them to be sure.

I might try re-installing the 8800 and then just switch the card; without uninstalling drivers.

6. eynmyn

eynmyn Master Guru

have you tried drive sweeper ? you might have to reformat your drive .

7. Kubie

Kubie New Member

GPU:
    EVGA 9800GX2
    Well I just installed my 9800GX2. I uninstalled the old drivers and rebooted the pc. Then i ran driver sweeper then shut my pc down and switched cards. I turned on the pc and received the the notice of new hardware. I cancelled once and then all of a sudden a bunch of stuff was installing. PCI to PCI bridge and all that stuff. I was like wtf is going on but then I thought it might be the auto config for the 2 GPU's. I installed 174.74 drivers and everything worked.

If you cannot get it going call or email evga support. They are on 24/7 and should be able to help you. I dont know for sure but I think that auto install is the GPU's configuring themselves to run together.

First thing I did was ran 3DMark06
    8800GTX best score 12886
    9800GX2 score 16302