9800GX2 Thermal Question

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by BlooHook, May 25, 2010.

1. BlooHook

BlooHook Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 FTW SLI
    Ok, so here's my dilemma...

Got a new second GX2 (well, slightly used but anyway) and the card works fine, but during intense gaming, that card will reach some fairly high temps, upward 90's and such, causing my games to lock up and artifact.

Well, after downloading the Clear Sky Complete mod, I kicked up the detail to max and even though my cards seem to handle the framerate just fine, once again, my second GX2 got up to about 98 and locked the game. Frustrated, I decided to try to paste my card with some Artic Silver 5, but all that did was slow down the temp buildup a few seconds...

Well I know my obvious choices would be to..

1. Buy waterblocks and add the cards to my loop, but I don't plan on keeping either of them that much longer and to blow $200+ on them wouldn't be worth it at this point.

2. Move the card up to the higher PCI-E slot, although when I had that setup before all it did was make my primary GX2 overheat, causing the same issue I'm having now.

3. Re-paste the card... again! I have some Shin-Etsu which is what I usually use, but I figured I'd give AS5 a shot but as it seems it didn't do it's job.

What would you guys suggest? Cause at this point I'm like :bang:

2. [ODB]

[ODB] Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 9800 GT ULTIMATE SLI
    I suggest reapplying paste make sure u use the rice method when applying the paste to g92 gpu

3. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    i'm calling the cops for card abuse 95c core would mean your vrm temps might be even worse :3eyes:
    jack up the fan speeds and leave the covers off.

reappling the paste might be in order if fan at 100% dont help

maybe the second time it might go better

4. BlooHook

BlooHook Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 FTW SLI
    Fortunately it did!

I re applied some Shin-Etsu to the card and swapped places so now it's my primary card. Idles at about 53 and maxes out at about 85 now. I probably should've mentioned in my OP that my temps were with the fan being at 100%.

Now interestingly enough the card I moved to the secondary slot is now the hotter card. There's about a 10 degree difference at any given point. So on my next day off I might re paste that card too and play with the positions to see if I can yield better temperatures.

Oh and best believe cowie, I NEVER leave the covers on those cards. I only keep them around for when I resell them.

5. Paul L

Paul L Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5700 8gb
    I removed the rear outer shell on a friends 9800gx2 in order to get a better flow of air
    to his card it helped a bit, maybe you might consider doing the same.

6. BlooHook

BlooHook Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 FTW SLI
    OH I have, I de shelled both cards, that brought the temps down even lower before I re pasted them. It was just getting up there that much more when I had a very graphic heavy game going. I've got a few other things I'm gonna try to bring the temps down a bit more.

7. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    yeah those multi gpu cards will lower about 3c with the covers taken off both my 295`s have no cover on

8. amdking

amdking Member Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 460 768MB OC'd
    To the OP, I had this issue after reviving a dead 9800GX2 that was given to me.
    My card still gets as hot as yours even hotter during 3d gaming, but it takes it and does not freeze or have any odd activity. I have seen as high as 95C, with cover on the card and my case closed on the side and the card runs fine.

Here are a couple things I suggest:

One thing I was REALLY overlooking when reapplying thermal paste to both GPU's were the VRM's. I tried to use the crappy white pads that they came with but when putting the heatsink back on the cards, if you pushed too hard on the VRM area...the white stuff would not come back up and make contact, basically all VRM cooling was crap using those pads.
    Thats because the VRM's dont really touch the heatsink unless something thick enough isu used. So, I broke out some AS5 and put a decent amount on each VRM, I inspected each VRM after placing the heatsink back on the cards and made sure there was ample AS5 touching both the VRMs and heatsink.

After doing this, that dropped my VRM temp substantially, now my card has no issues whatsoever, despite the core temps reaching 90C+

I also have my cards BIOS programmed to ramp up the fan speed to 100% when it goes above 80c and not start lowering it till it reaches like 75c once again.
    Normally when idle I have it set so the BIOS keeps the fan at about 53% which is quiet.
    So yeah, the key to keeping these cards happy is making sure the VRM's are touching the heatsink somehow.

Also make sure to blow out any dust in the HSF assembly itself.

As far as putting thermal stuff on the GPUs I just did a bb sized ball of AS5 on the center of each GPU, I have confirmed this works great and covers the GPU quite evenly.
    Also make sure to put something on the SLI bridge chip.