9800GX2, PhysX and You!

Discussion in 'Videocards vs General Purpose - NVIDIA Ageia PhysX' started by BlooHook, Nov 21, 2008.

1. BlooHook

BlooHook Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 FTW SLI
    Ok, I've owned a 9800GX2 for about 8 weeks now. For the most part I love the card. I'm definately getting better performance out of it than I was with my two 8800GTs. Better driver support would be nice but I think that's everyone's issue at the moment...

My main problem right now is I've still yet to see support for secondary GPU PhysX. When I got my GX2, I kept one of my 8800GTs in hopes of being able to use it as a PPU. But alas that doesn't seem to be even in the works as with every driver update I've yet to see the option to select my GT as a PPU.

I'm just wondering if there's something I'm missing? Is it working and I'm just missing it? Or is there a workaround of some sort? I'm just trying to figure out if I should hang on to my GT or let it go.

And yes, I'm running Vista - 64-Bit

2. Rammstein

Rammstein Master Guru

GPU:
    2 XFX 8800GT ZALMAN 512MB
    If you had ATI cards using a single with a double card, so using 3 GPU would have been possible. Nvidia doesnt use a third card for PhysX, so your GX2 will do the work as a GPU and PhysX. No way you can use the other card.

3. Bazz49

Bazz49 New Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX280 + 8600GTS
    If I'm not mistaken you can use any 8000 series Nvidia card as a PPU as long as it has 256MB of VRAM. You ca set it up in the control panel to use your 8800 as PPU and let your GX2 do the rendering. I just read this on Nvidia's website. I had planned on buying an 8800GTX as a PPU to compliment my GTX280 SLI.

4. Rammstein

Rammstein Master Guru

GPU:
    2 XFX 8800GT ZALMAN 512MB
    do you have a link where I can read it. Sounds kind of strange it has to be 256RAM