9800GTX+ upgrade to 560 Ti

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by SinghKing, Apr 2, 2011.

1. SinghKing

SinghKing Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 9800GTX+ 1GB
    I was wondering if I should upgrade my 9800GTX+ to 560 Ti. Some of the benchmarks show that the 560 Ti is 2x the performance of a 9800GTX+ and since I use software such as Adobe CS5 and CUDA - Enabled software like Xilisoft. Is it worth upgrading to 560 Ti, preferable the SOC versions which are about £220. Since I dont have a SLI mobo, I cant use my current 9800GTX+ as PhyX

What are the chances of these cards going cheaper during the Summer?

Upgrade now or worth the wait?

-Thanks

2. Slam

Slam Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 XC
    I think it would be a great upgrade. And its incredible performance for the price.

3. maleficarus™

maleficarus™ Banned

GPU:
    ASUS GTX460 800/1600/4000
    Ya good upgrade. 9800GTX+ is just a tit-hair slower then a GTS250 and we all know a 560Ti can Bruce Lee a GTS250 so...

4. Mv740

Mv740 Guest

GPU:
    580 GTX SLI
    Physx is overrated there's no new game I heard of that going to take advantage of it for a while. Unless you want to replay current games that uses physx. I say go for the 560 Ti you cpu might bottleneck the card tho.

5. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Hell I upgraded from a GTX 260 to a 560 Ti and noticed a huge difference. Totally worth it.

6. SinghKing

SinghKing Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 9800GTX+ 1GB
    What is the best brand to go with for the 560Ti?

I was thinking about the Gigabyte but how much difference in terms of performance is there between GV-N560SO-1GI and GV-N560SO-1GI-950?

I don't really play any PhysX but I'd thought if I had a SLI motherboard, it saves wasting the current card.

How much bottlenecking would the CPU cause?

7. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    I've always preferred EVGA for their lifetime warranty. As for bottlenecking, if you overclocked your CPU you won't notice it that much.

8. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    Evga if you want the best warranty. asus, gigabyte, or msi if you want the best cooling solution.

iirc one of the reasons they down clocked the new soc cards to 950mhz was because of stability issues.

if your only going to run 1 card your bottleneck wont be as bad as it would with 2 cards. either way you will still need to oc that processor

9. 3dPlayer

3dPlayer Banned

GPU:
    Have
    the cheaper, then one mk-13 with one 800rpm 120mm. :nerd:

10. SinghKing

SinghKing Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 9800GTX+ 1GB
    ????

11. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    if you can get your hands on the 1ghz model, then grab it. dont bother with the 950 model. it retains the same noisy fan configuration without really outperforming the competition by much.

if you cant get the 1ghz soc, maybe look towards the msi twin frozr or asus directcu. these two run cooler and quieter.

12. Bukkake

Bukkake Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 8GB
    I have the palit overclocked to 1005 core/2010 shader/2242 mem 1.087 core voltage. Runs like a dream just as fast as a gtx 570. also very cool under max load temps are mid to high 60's c using a custom fan profile.

It comes with a 2 year warranty. I bought the computer custom made and it came with a 3 year warranty for everything including the card.

Ive had no problems in any games besides shogun 2 which is sponsored by amd so i wasnt expecting to max that game out but i can play it with everything on high not ultra just fine. all in all i had a 9800 gtx+ before for about 3 years the difference in performance is ridiculous you can go wrong imo.

13. 3dPlayer

3dPlayer Banned

GPU:
    Have
    I think i wrote it well...the cheap card you can get and then the mk-13 aftermaket cooler with one 800/1000rpm 120/140mm fan.

Most of them are not working properly because the cards need more voltage, so it doenst matter if its 950 or 1000, get the cheap, most of times is a matter of luck!

14. FordLynx07

FordLynx07 Guest

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3070 DOC
    An upgrade from 9800GTX to 560Ti is a big leap and worth it. Also, just OC your quad to 3ghz or up and it wont bottleneck your 560

15. SinghKing

SinghKing Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 9800GTX+ 1GB
    Thank you all ur replies.... It seems that this decision was a no brainier..
    I'll work something out for the CPU.

16. sava700

sava700 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080GTX FWT
    Yeah good upgrade that I was looking at with my 9800GTX+, but I went on ahead and bumped up to the 570 eVGA superclocked card since it seemed to offer alot more for the small price increase. Add the $10 off instant, $20 off rebate and you couldn't beat it.

I'm just hoping my power supply can sustain it. I really don't see where your CPU would bottle neck the card either. I'm doing the math on my Q9300 and it's still a beast that will keep up with this card but I may bump it up a little if the power is there.

17. SinghKing

SinghKing Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 9800GTX+ 1GB
    What I'll do is that I'll change the CPU fan which is a stock fan to something more solid. This way if I do need to overclock the CPU, it shouldn't be a problem.

18. sava700

sava700 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080GTX FWT
    I don't have a CPU fan.. that cuts down on power usage and heat since I'm water cooling and it's powered on it's own through a silent tower setup. Just two 120mm's 1 rear and 1 front for air flow and that's it.

19. h0d

h0d Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Sea Hawk
    Go for it !

20. Blacklac

Blacklac Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 960 SSC 2GB
    Where are all these 1Ghz SOC's that "dont work properly"?? :3eyes:

The SOC's use lower voltage than any other 560. They have upgraded power delivery. My SOC has a stock 1.012v. Try and get any other 560 model to 1Ghz on that voltage. ;) Some have even came in under 1v, in the SOC model. Most other cards need 1.05-1.1 to get 1Ghz, if they can even then.

More like they ran out of cherry picked GPU's, capable of reliably reaching 1Ghz so they went to 950Mhz.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2011