9800GTX overheat?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Gil80, May 17, 2008.

1. Gil80

Gil80 Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2x R9 290 4GB
    hi everyone :)

I just bought a new computer and at least 10 minutes into a game (COD4, MOH, ArmA) my computer shuts down.

I believe it happens due to overheating of the graphic card.

I updated to the latest drivers from the nVidia web site. I used RivaTuner to tweak the fan speed to 100%. i do hear the fan spinning faster then ever during game play. I alt+tab to see the Temp. and it's always close to 60C. I believe when it hits 60, the ocmp shuts down.

Did anyone hear on a fix? they can't possibly market this kind of graphic card!!

My rig:
    Vista32
    Intel E8500
    4GB RAM
    Gigabyte 9800GTX 512MB
    Asus P5N-D

Gil

2. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
    60C is not too hot for your GPU!

Use a tool like Everest to check your temperatures and maybe you could post them here. (CPU temp, MCP temp, GPU temp, etc.)

3. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    list what PSU you have

4. bLinkZor

bLinkZor Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW SLI
    What kind of PSU are you using?? 60C is normal; my 8800 GTS goes to 60 into hard gaming.

5. Gil80

Gil80 Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2x R9 290 4GB
    I have HEC 600W as PSU.

I've read in some forums that the 9800GTX gets to 60 deg. and only then the fan speed drops to 35% power.

As a default it is set to 35%. Only with Rivetuner I crancked it up to 100% but again, it simply won't help.

I've attached the screen shots of the statistics. however I don't know how to include video card stress test.

Another thing that bothers me is that the CPU is at 40-45 deg. when idle with Zalman 9500. I didn't find a way to speed up the fan at all. Doesn any one know?

My Temps:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 17, 2008
  6. Fahim

Fahim Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX RADEON HD 5850 1GB Bl
    How are the amps on +12v & +5v rail on ur PSU? 60C is ok for a 9800 GTX, mine goes to 80C when playing, still hits 800/2400. I had same problems before, found out the +5v was quite low in amps. Mine was Antec 650W PSU, now I am using Coolermaster 1000W and everything is fine.

7. Gripen90

Gripen90 Master Guru

GPU:
    2x RTX 2080Ti SLi
    Quote during game play. I alt+tab to see the Temp. and it's always close to 60C. I believe when it hits 60, the ocmp shuts down.

If it shuts down at 60*c i'm more suspecting that its you're CPU that's causing them. Looking at the temperatures for your CPU i see it's not far from touching 60*c and when gaming it may actually go up there.
    The thing is that in the BIOS it may be setup to automatically shutdown at 60*c. Try to increase this value to 65*c and see if all runs.
    Else I'd say unmount the cpu cooler and check that theres a bit cpu cooling paste on the CPU. Also make sure when mounting the cpu cooler that is sits even and tight.

8. Gil80

Gil80 Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2x R9 290 4GB

I know 60C is ok in stress for the GTX, however, as I read in forums, when the GPU hits 60C the fan drops down from 100% to 35% RPM. Strange thing is that the default is 35% and never gets higher even in stress. you must tweak it to 100% with rivatuner.

I did check the cooling on the CPU and it sits tight, yet it bothers me that with Zalman 9500 it reaches 45C~ when idle with no option to tweak the fan.

I think it's unavoidable to take the computer back to the store... it's only 4 days old :(

How come so many people complaining on this issue? There's even a guide on how to make your 9800GTX fan stay constant on 100% in youtube. Please run a check on google and see it for yourself. I belive it's the GTX more then anything else.

I can't change the value of the temperature warning/protection in the BIOS. only low fan speed worning which is set to warn under 1600rpm.

thanks guys anyway

Last edited: May 17, 2008
  9. Karl 2

Karl 2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 295
    Maybe certain series/brands of the card have a faulty fan or fan controller, fan problems are often vendor-specific since they choose the supplier. I checked and mine (Asus) appears to be working ok, nothing happened at 65C, fan kept sounding louder as temps rose.

10. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
    Hmm. It's strange that your GPU fan throttles itself down to 35% when you hit 60C. Maybe you setup a profile in RivaTuner and somehow it became screwed up? My suggestion would be to uninstall Riva Tuner and to set the fan speed to 100% in the Nvidia Control Panel. If it still goes back to 35% when you hit 60C you know at least that it's not a profile error.

After you tried the above and it's still not working correctly: Did you put a fan on your passive heatsink on your board, like in this picture?

[​IMG]

Maybe your PC isn't shutting down because of your GPU but something else getting too hot???

Last edited: May 18, 2008

11. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
    Also found this on YouTube in the comments, in case you didn't check: "I've heard recently that if you disable driver signing requirements in vista the RivaTuner fan speed adjustment will work."

12. Gil80

Gil80 Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2x R9 290 4GB
    Karl 2: From forums check I made, it's not only in Gigabyte, it is the nvidia board.

cybermancer: Yes I have the fan installed when I bought the comp.
    Where do I turn off the driver signing?

13. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
    1. Create a shortcut on the desktop to cmd.exe

2. Right-click on the shortcut and select Run as administrator

3. When the command window opens, type or paste the following and press ENTER: Bcdedit.exe /set nointegritychecks ON

(found here: http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/1429/vista_disable_digital_driver_signing_enforcement)

OR:

Use gpedit.msc and navigate to:

User Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> System -> Driver Installation and enable the "Code signing for drivers" and then choose "Ignore".

(found here: http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?p=304922)

14. Gil80

Gil80 Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2x R9 290 4GB
    I got a call from the lab guy and they did the following:
    replaced the graphic card - it worked perfectly.

Put back my graphic card but with Thermaltech 750W and it worked perfectly - at least that's what he said.

I hardly believe that 600W is not enough to operate this graphic card at games.

Last thing that bothers me was that I got the famous blue screen while the computer was in idle, restarted and then got boot failure.

I think nVidia has crappy drivers for Vista.

I will test the computer this week and let you know the results.

Thanks for all the help guys :)

Gil

15. sava700

sava700 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080GTX FWT
    Its not the wattage that matters most more than the Rails on the 12volt. Then the power has to be pure and clean and most PSU's are cheapo's that advertise high wattage but can't produce good solid clean power on the +12volt rail..and I believe the 9800GTX's take like 26amps on a single +12rail which is less than the 8800GTX/Ultra's but can produce the same performance levels once you hit the OCed versions.

16. reggis

reggis Active Member

GPU:
    4870x2 and 4870 crossfire
    The 60 C fan reset to 35% issue for the 9800gtx was addressed in 175.16 ... It was a known issue for this card, and 175.16 fixed it, at least for my system/cards (Vista x64). Since it was a driver issue, Rivatuner or other software to control the fan will not work (ie -- using fixed fan speed), the card will still return to 35%@60 C -- for those 9800gtx that are affected.

Last edited: May 21, 2008