9800GTX in SLI or GTX280?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by GenerationGXX, Jun 4, 2008.

1. GenerationGXX

GenerationGXX Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 9800GTX SLI
    Hey I have currently 9800GTX in SLi and i was wandering should i sell these cards for the GTX 280, the Sli I have right now is no problem scoring 21k in 3dmark 06 easily but i was wandering will GTX280 will be able to handle it and score higher?

also I be able to handle Two of the GTX 280 in sli?> I have 750watt power supply.
    has 2x 6 pin pcie e and 2x 8 pin

2. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
    What about waiting until those cards are actually out? Everything else would be just guessing...

3. N00bst3r

N00bst3r Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX570 OC
    Well if the cards deliver as they are seeming to promise on paper then a single one should be able to blitz your current setup. But on the otherhand if its all just rubbish and they dont deliver anywhere near as they should have then your set up will be good. to be honest you already have two very fast cards already so im not sure how much of a performance increase your expecting. But for me and others with and old high end card such as a 7 series the performance increase should be astronomical. Cant wait for some benches of these puppies :p

4. dune2

dune2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Titan X Aqua
    I think the main advantage the new card will have over the old setup is that you will actually use 1 GB of video ram and are not limited to the 512mb per card anymore. That together with the 512-bit bus will result in some serious throughput, which should help games like Crysis in higher resolutions. Having said that, don't even think about it for screens with less than 1900x1200 resolution.

5. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    260gtx or 280gtx doh lol :D

6. MileHighMilitia

MileHighMilitia Master Guru

GPU:
    HIS HD4850 + TT DuOrb 700/1135
    who the hell knows? they're not even out yet!

7. Passion Fruit

Passion Fruit Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    Well yeah, that makes sense because its a 1GB Card.

But in SLi he will still be limited to 1GB because SLI (both cards) still cant share eachothers memory.

ATi no longer have this problem ;)

8. Nihilkrist

Nihilkrist Master Guru

GPU:
    2 x Inno3D GTX260
    Think of the performance increase from wee lil ole me, upgrading from a 5 series :D Plus I'm getting a 790i :) And a Q9450... And 4GB DDR3... Can't wait till June... 17th is it?

I'd defo get the gtx280s :)

And passion fruit, ATI no longer have that problem?! How ^^ They must have dropped performance somewhere though...? Any links? Me want see ^^

9. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6900xt / RTX3090

I second that :)

10. Passion Fruit

Passion Fruit Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    Its a feature of their new graphics card line ups and a bonus because they are using GDDR5, i wont get technical because i dont know the specs of GDDR5, but it allows Crossfire to utilize all the RAM available, instead of being limited to half of the total available RAM across two cards.

So 2 cards in crossfire, 1GB each = 2GB available, where as SLI, 2 Cards, 1GB each = 1GB total because they are still using GDDR3 and cant share memory... i think its the advancements in GDDR5 that allow memory sharing, if im incorrect then someone please correct me

11. V4.SKUNK

V4.SKUNK Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 8800GTS 640 (G80)
    I'd get a GTX 280.
    But 9800GTX's are going cheap, in the UK on Dabs.co.uk they are selling them for £160+! A bargain, the funny thing is they'll be even cheaper in a few weeks.

12. N00bst3r

N00bst3r Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX570 OC
    Well if ATI use GDDR 5 that is, so far all thats been shown from ATI at computex is a 3950 and the 4850 pro which both have GDDR 3 on them. Its seems nvidia is ready for the next round, but when will ATI step up. I dont want them late to the party and bringing a sucker with them like last time (2900). Come on ATI pull your finger out!