9800GTX Aftermarket Cooler

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by damikez, Sep 5, 2008.

Tags:
  1. damikez

damikez Member

GPU:
    Inno3D GeForce 9800GTX
    What's the best (or good) aftermarket cooler for a 9800GTX. I can OC it to 730/1100 but it craps out after an hour of gameplay. The core can take the heat, but i think the RAMs are the one crapping out.

Suggestions?

2. fearsjohn

fearsjohn Maha Guru

GPU:
    evga 1070
    if you can't go higher an aftermarket cooler will probably not help. try bumping the ram down and see if that fixes it.

3. damikez

damikez Member

GPU:
    Inno3D GeForce 9800GTX
    i think i can go higher, i'm just a bit conservative at this point, i don't want to fry the card yet. at 730/1100 OC, it peaks at 80c on full load at 80% fan, 51c on idle. i also want to lower the temps in general.

4. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    i would say uh lower the ram anyways considering the GTX shouldn't be able to go that high stabily, at least that was my impression, only the GTX+ because it uses different kind of ram

5. SubtleOne

SubtleOne Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1060 Amp!
    It shouldn't fry. There are numerous pre-OCed 9800GTXs, and they all use stock cooling. I got a Zotac Amp! that comes at 750/2300 (shaders at 1890), and have no issues. Haven't tried faster as I only play at 1280x1024 anyhow. If you run into a wall before that, it is probably a chip issue and not a heat-related one.