9800GT + Riva2.24 Fan Issues

Discussion in 'Rivatuner Statistics Server (RTSS) Forum' started by happz123, Mar 15, 2009.

1. happz123

happz123 New Member

GPU:
    9800GT
    Hi, under the "power user" section, when I attempt to change "AutoFanSpeedControl" to a value of 3 (as stated in your guides), Im unable to set the fan control parameters under the "Low level system settings" button.

heres a reference with screenshots to my issue - look for the post by Dooby2oon (half a page down)
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=263013

Here, the auto option gets grayed out along with the list of control parameters (which SHOULD BE appearing underneath the auto option once selected). I currently own an Asus 9800GT, G92 revision A2 and prior to this it worked with my old 8800 GTS.

NB: I did a little research on the issue in your forums. Apparently the 9800GT has a different fan control method thats unsupported by rivatuner 2.24 ? Can somebody please confirm / resolve this?

Thanks for reading my post! ^D^

Last edited: Mar 15, 2009
  2. baby_UTE

baby_UTE Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 9800GT SLI
  3. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
  4. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

Who said that you're supposed to get those parameters? 9800GT lacks automatic fan controller chip.

5. happz123

happz123 New Member

GPU:
    9800GT
    Thanks for the quick reply, right now Im really confused and im stumped so I have a few more questions :

Just wondering, If I got those parameters in an old 8800gts why would a 9800GT go backwards and do without automatic fan control parameters? It just seems a bit fishy to me if the above is true. Ive done some testing myself, and the evidence shows that some degree of automatic fan control exists.

*Proof*
    From Idle --> ~ 60 degrees the fan stays at 35%
    From 60degrees ~ 67degrees the fan increases to 50.15%.

I dont want to go above 67degrees but I think the above proves that something is controlling the fan speed based on temperature. If it lacks an automatic fan controller chip then perhaps, could I edit the bios fan paramters and reflash it with my edited version? Would that work? All im really after is remapping the fanspeed - temperature relation ie I want it to do soething like this ( which happened on my old 8800gts)

http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/4341/rivatunerftwautofanspee.jpg

so in that setup I had

Idle Minimum --> 62%
    Idle - 58degrees --> up to 74%
    58 - 62 ---> 74% to 88%
    62 onwards --> max value of 94%

Thanks for your time again guys, really appreciate it..

6. Unwinder

Because 9800 series were launched as cheaper (from manufacturing POV) replacement of 8800 series. There is no automatic hardware fan controller installed on these boards. Automatic fan control is done at software (driver) level.

7. happz123

happz123 New Member

GPU:
    9800GT
    Hey thanks for the quick reply again ;). So, with automatic fan control being done at the driver level, is there any way to tweak / modify this? Can it be done easily ? :):nerd::)

8. Unwinder

There is no way to override it at the driver level.

9. barwell1992

barwell1992 Guest

GPU:
    ASUS gtx560ti on T260HD
    no but there may be a way to do it at bios level not sure thogh but unles ure verry confident then dont mess with the cards bios

10. Unwinder

There are no public BIOS editors able to tune driver-level automatic fan speed adjustment algorithms on G8x and newer display adapters.

11. barwell1992

barwell1992 Guest

GPU:
    ASUS gtx560ti on T260HD
    carnt remeber what the bios editor that i was using but it enabled my to set automatic fan peramiters i have never tired this but thats just what it says

u are probably right that you carnt change the setings buy bios editor but just thorght it might be posible :)

12. Threewheels

Threewheels Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 275, 896mb
  13. happz123

happz123 New Member

GPU:
    9800GT
    Was the bios editor called NV flash or something similiar? A friend of mine talked me into the idea of backing up my current bios / reflashing after, etcetc :banana: