9800/pro eyecandy - what game / demo / bechmark do you use to flex its abilities?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Raster, Aug 28, 2003.

1. Raster

Raster Member Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D Geforce 6800GT @ 420/1150, 1.4v, NV5
    Hi all, well I'm very pleased with my 9800pro - I was totally stunned by the "Chimp" demo (from ATi's website), and the "Dawn" FX demo modded to run on the 9800pro with the OpenGL wrapper, both look absolutely stunning!

Now I'm on the hunt for more software that can use the card's directx9 shaders, so what do you run on your card that makes you say "WOW!"? Are there any decent directx9 games available yet?

Thanks.

2. Raster

Raster Member Guru

GPU:
    Yea, can't wait for those 3, but are there any directx9 games out at the moment?

3. top_gun36

top_gun36 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9800 Pro|MR9600 Pro Turbo
    3dmark2003 Test 4 Mother nature is currently the only DX9 benchmark we have....til the heavy shooters come out

4. Neo-Spike

Neo-Spike Member Guru

GPU:
    Ati 9800 pro
    Well i play battlefield 1942 , rainbowsix3 and C&C generals and i can have all the details up and aa and everything up in 1024x768 ^_^ and for battlefield and genetals i get around 70 fps :) haven't really tested ravenshield yet but yea hl2 and doom3 is what i got the card for

5. fallenx

fallenx Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 8800GT
    Tomb Raider Angel of Darkness is a DX9 game I believe (could be wrong) but I heard its very buggy.

Splinter Cell uses shaders, buts its more DX8.

Code Creatures the Nvidia benchmark perhaps? it uses shaders as well, no need for a wrapper or anything.

6. Raster

Raster Member Guru

GPU:
    Yea cheers for the suggstions, has anyone seen the "gun metal" (or "gunmetal") directx 9 benchmark? THe big ships/explosions look real nice.

7. Misdirection

Misdirection Guest

Tomb Raider AoD is DirectX 9.0 100%.

8. SaNTaCRuZ77

SaNTaCRuZ77 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 3450 512MB
    I just thought about this but it makes no ****ing sense to buy something at top price when it hasn't even seen its potential yet

9. Raster

Raster Member Guru

GPU:
    lol :), i see your point but it is being used to its potential in other ways, like UT2003/IGI2/BF1942 etc etc on max settings and looking and playing really nice. I just want a peek at directx9 loveliness before half life 2 is released next month, 'cos blimey it *is* impressive - I've had a few video cards but I don't think I've been this impressed since installing my first orchid righteous voodoo1 4MB accelerator years ago. :O

edit: I agree, the 9800pro's are expensive, but I was lucky :cool: - I bought mine "as new" but used, and the buyer wanted to downgrade (?) so I exchanged my trusty Ti4600 in the process. It didn't cost me that much extra on top in cash terms. :cool:

Last edited: Aug 29, 2003
  10. Raster

Raster Member Guru

GPU:
    :rolleyes: looks like It'll be UT2003 etc and staring at the damn chimp, butterfly and Dawn (although not with the mod of course :d ) for a while then.

Thanks. :)

11. bourbon

bourbon Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Raedon 9800 flashed to pro
    Dawn and the chimp blew my socks off. Nothing else compares. The doom iii alpha might be something to check out...

12. Dzhedaj

Dzhedaj Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire X800GTO 256MB @6
    Try the Yager demo, that came out recently. Looks really really nice.

13. Rusty 2k3

Rusty 2k3 Guest

Its strange to think that the 9800 Pro and the 5900 Ultra have been out for some time now and there is only 1 game that users the features on those cards, there should be more games on the market that take advantage of the features on the cards. But i must admit that the build up for the release of Doom 3 and HL 2 is emence.

14. Kurgen

Kurgen Guest

Yep, them were some awesome cards...

I remember buying an OEM Voodoo, just after they were released, for £115.00, thinkin' "Wow!, what a bargain!", which then of course gave up after about 4 hours use, as it was toastin' hot. I returned it, went elsewhere, and bought an Orchid Righteous 3D for £170.00 :eek: , which served me admirably for about 2 years. Sometimes it pays to not take financial shortcuts...

K.

15. THunDA

THunDA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Powercolor x1900xtx 675/783
    I love my 9800pro :D ..but I remember back in the day..lol when I bought a voodoo3 ...then upgraded to a voodoo5500 ..I thought they were amazing now this 9800pro just makes me dream about her all day..lol ;) Also my previous card was a gainward 4600ti which treated me well but even tho im not playing dx9 games im sure happy playing BF1942 with maxed settings...and 4xaa...8xaf... it looks sooooo freakn sweet..ok..I need a ciggarette now..lol

THunDA

16. Raster

Raster Member Guru

GPU:
    hehe ...Voodoo3's.... I never owned one, but after running the Orchid Righteous Voodoo1 for a year or-so I bought 2x used Orchid Righteous Voodoo2 cards from a friend and ran the pair in SLI mode in my PII300 @ 450. I remember thinking "24MB of ram!, 24MB!!!". :p
    Was very powerful for the time - playing Unreal in 1024*768 was previously unheard of. Happy days......

edit: back on topic :) - My card has small copper ramsinks attached (with thermal tape, not epoxy) to the ram and after 15mins or so of heavy 3D use they are very hot to touch - using the back of my finger (between 1st+2nd joint), after 2-3secs contact it's almost too hot to bear. Is this normal?

Last edited: Aug 30, 2003
  17. Yodster

Yodster Member Guru

GPU:
    X1900XT/X1900Master card
    I use quite a few eye candy benchmarks;

Doom3 alpha
    X2-the threat (rolling demo/benchmark)
    GunMetal Benchmark
    3DMark 01 and 03
    Vulpine GL
    CodeCreatures
    N-Bench_v2
    GLXS
    Dronze Mark
    Unreal2 (using Benchem all utility)
    Dawn demo
    ATI demos (island 1,2 and 3, Rachel and Nature)

They all have great demo modes. I also have some CG graphic demos, some that use directX 9. Also have a couple HDTV 1080 standard video clips. The clearity of theese clips will blow you away. Playable on WindowsMediaPlayer 9.

18. Akhkaru

Akhkaru Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 770 4GB WF
    Doom 3 is OpenGL only.