9800 Pro Crashing

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by msimain, Sep 29, 2004.

1. msimain

msimain Guest

Please help!!!

I am getting lockups on 3D games. They happen randomly, about every 5 - 10 mins. Seem to occur more regulary if resolution is set high...

This has occured on all 3 games I've tried since I've purchased my system. They are Far Cry, Doom3 and Max Payne 2 (MP2 was the most stable).

Don't think the main processor is overloading as I've run it on 100% for about an hour with no lockups (did this by making a loop in VBA for Excel)

Main memory seems to be OK as have run memtest with no errors.

Have turned Fast Writes off, and AGP is set to 4x, still crashes.

The types of crash I see are the screen just freezing (sound effects usually continues, or sometimes just stutters) or screen being filled with random coloured vertical lines.

Have tried onboard AC97 and old PCI soundblaster, but no change.

Radeon driver: 6.14.10.6476
    Catylist: 4.9
    Directx: 9b
    Processor: P4 2.8G
    Mem: Kingston DDR 512M

Motherboard: Biostar with VIA PM800/VT8237, Socket 478

Have done a complete reinstall on another harddisk installing latest drivers only, still same lockup...

Any ideas?

2. krisha

krisha Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D GTS250 512 mb
    temps ? is it getting hot ?

3. David Deed

David Deed Don Alfa Terga Inconiti

GPU:
    Geforce 6600
    powersupply?

4. TV addict#2

TV addict#2 Maha Guru

GPU:
    EvgaGtx680+HPLP-3065
    is those the latest chipset drivers

5. krisha

krisha Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D GTS250 512 mb
    3 good points - the pro is a powersucking card - for real. I could not run it on mu old 300w psu (generic)

Also about the chipset drivers - that is the fist i would upgrade.

To narrow it down if it could be psu - unplug all parst that is not needed (ei casefans, secondary drives etc)

6. SaViOr-

SaViOr- Master Guru

GPU:
    BBA 9800 Pro 128mb 256-bit oc'd 412/385
    I have that same mobo lol, my pc keeps rebooting 5-30 min into gameplay but prob might be my 250 generic, even though gfx car is only a fx 5200 pci 128 64-bit card. change back to my oem compaq mobo all is fine. if you find a solution please let me know. cuz im getting a new chieftec dragon case and a new psu plus like 4-6 fans, and im hoping this will fix my probs lol gonna cost me almost $200 for a $50 mobo upgrade.

7. msimain

msimain Guest

Thanks guys for replying,

I have a HAIRONG ATX-400W power supply. I have tried disconnecting everything else (A drive, CD, spare HD) and same problem.

How do I know that I have installed the right chipset drivers? My understanding is that VIAHyperion4in1453v is the only driver required for the mobo, since I'm not using the AC97 (am trying old SB PCI sound card).
    I have seen some threads that recommend installing the VGA driver, but even with the clean boot, and before loading any other video drivers, I installed the chipset, but then got an error when I went to install PM880_XP_16943941 I got the S3Setup dialog saying "Setup was unable to complete the setup".

Something else I have tried is underclocking the 9800 using ATI Tool. This seems to add stability, but still crashes. Have set this as low as possible without getting artifacting, around 270.

Am interested if anyone can recommend an app to measure temperature.

Savior, been there. I got the generic replaced twice before giving up and going to Kingston, recomend this. Running memtest showed a lot of errors.

8. Tr-Legolas

Tr-Legolas Guest

I would thnk it to be a heating problem. I had the same problem with the same motherboard and Ut2004 for a long time. Problem was i had a generic case with crappy cooling so my system was auto shutting down. I put in a small intake fan and a 4000 rpm X-BLASTER in theback, and havent had a problem since =]

9. msimain

msimain Guest

Is it the main cpu or the video card over heating?
    I have set the shutdown in bios if overtemp, and have had shutdown once or twice, but most of the time it just locks up. I have the sides off the case, but will try some experimenting...

10. msimain

msimain Guest

Problem Fixed

For the record:
    Have replaced Biostar mobo for a Gigabyte GT, and am having no problems...

11. Saeid

Saeid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Connect3D X800 PCI-Express 256MB
    try downloading Catalyst 4.10 and make sure that u have .NET Framework v1.1 from microsoft!

12. David Deed

David Deed Don Alfa Terga Inconiti

GPU:
    Geforce 6600
    where did you get the p/s?

13. msimain

msimain Guest

Hi Saeid,
    Am running this ver of Catylist. The guy at the shop didn't recommend the Biostar for game play, so I suspect it was that causing the prob.

14. Fishbread

Fishbread Guest

I have the same problem.

My Sys:

Club 3d 9600XT
    Asus A7V600-X
    Creative Audigy
    756MB RAM, Corsair

all with latest drivers.

I bought the mainboard a couple of weeks ago, an since then every games crashes.

Far Cry after 5min
    Dawn of War after half an hour.

I have a 340W psu,, but i don't think thats the problem as I used the 9600XT for about half a year with no problems.

I browsed the web a bit and it seems that everybody with this problem is using a VIA chipset.

15. msimain

msimain Guest

Fishbread, the shop I brought my Biostar from kindly swapped it for the Gigabyte, I had to pay the difference though. Have had no problems with the Gigabyte and recommend it.

If you tell them it doesn't do what you brought it to do, I think they should swap it. In my opinion, although the Biostar says it supports AGP 8x cards, it really isn't powerfull enough to do so.

I would would be interested if anyone is successfully running the Biostar with a powerfull Videocard.