9800 pro always crashing

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Spellbound666, Feb 3, 2005.

1. Spellbound666

Spellbound666 Active Member

GPU:
    8800gt
    Hey I built a pc from my friend everything is working except all the games :D i've updated drivers multiple times and still the games dont work! its on xp pro

games

MOHAA alied assault
    Wolfenstein

I've also tried patching them... any known conflicts or anyone have any ideas? Its very fustrating!

Your friend Spellbound (from the Nvidia section ;) )

2. UZ7

UZ7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB Vision 3080 10GB
    Did you make sure the latest Chipset/AGP Drivers were installed? Also when you say the game doesnt work what do you mean by that? Do you get an error or it simply doesnt startup?

3. Montanan

Montanan Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 8800M GTX
    Either 1 of 2 things

1) Radeon is overheating. That will show itself when being stressed like in 3d games.

2) Using a vIA chipset motherboard. Radeons hate those chipsets.

4. Psychlone

Psychlone Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD5970 Engineering
    How about VPU Recover...is it OFF?
    I've had a couple games that didn't like me to have the VPU Recover on....and caused to crash to the desktop, so i just have it off all thr time now and haven't had a problem since.
    Psychlone

5. PsXDnS

PsXDnS Member

GPU:
    ATI Radeon 9800 XT @ 434/389
    It's also possible the AGP voltage is low. I had to up mine - kept instantly rebooting, after I changed the voltage it was fine..

6. Spellbound666

GPU:
    8800gt
    Thanks guys i'll write these down and try them out when i go to his house , im not sure if he had a via motherboard i'll have to see. If you have anymore please post them its extremly fustrating! Thanks a lot.

7. Spellbound666

GPU:
    8800gt
    Oh yeah and when games crash it simply says "an error has happened and the program had to be shut down" typical xp crash so its not blue screens.

8. Spellbound666

GPU:
    8800gt
    bump im going round today to try and sort it out , please post anymore ideas you might have.

9. morlune

morlune Guest

My 9800 pro keeps giving the VPU reset message alot during games, but some games give it more often then others. This isn't a voltage or temp problem then right? Since it makes a huge difference what game you play, a game like WoW gives an error like that every 4 hours or so, while a game like NWN gives this error every 5 minutes or so.
    Hm, although very rarely my screen just turns black, and the system freezes, so perhaps it is a voltage problem, but very weird that the VPU error differs so much with different games... can someone enlighten/advise me? Thanks

10. morlune

morlune Guest

Also, does anyone know of a nice voltage recording program? So I can know for sure if this is or isn't the problem, thanks.