9800 GX2 Fan RPM not read by Rivatuner 2.09

Discussion in 'Rivatuner Statistics Server (RTSS) Forum' started by ragamer, May 22, 2008.

1. ragamer

ragamer New Member

(PARTIALLY SOLVED) 9800 GX2 Fan RPM not read by Rivatuner 2.09

CARD: Club 3d Nvidia 9800 GX2
    Rivatuner Version: 2.09 (Vanilla no patches or any customization active)
    NVidia Drivers: 175.16 (Nvidia performance module aka "ntune" installed and active)

I wish to setup auto-fan control via Rivatuner (because Nvidia control panel profiles are buggy ATM) and I´m failing at the 1st step:

Rivatuner is not detecting my fan RPM and can´t command its rpm on "Fixed Mode".

Nvidia control panel is able to command the fan RPM's if you realize that, in this card, the single fan is commanded by the 2nd GPU (GFX2 on Nvidia control panel) so, in short...

...Is there a way to inform Rivatuner that the GPU 2 is the one that needs to be accessed to command the fan speed?

P.S.: I tried looking for the "other monitor" some people mentioned but in my adapter dialog there is only one GPU + Monitor option available.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: May 29, 2008
  2. ragamer

ragamer New Member

Update:

I have been playing with Nvidia driver and if I deactivate SLI then Rivatuner detects the multiple GPUs and I can access fan control but...

...Obviously I'm neglecting 9800 GX2 biggest advantage which is the integrated SLI.

Anyone can give some extra ideas?

3. ragamer

ragamer New Member

I hate when ppl do not post when they solve something and I almost did the same, go figure.

Still not the perfect solution but after tinkering a bit I have managed to create a setup that makes my card work k.

Basically revolves about using RT scheduler to load driver level fan profiles.

1) On Nforce Driver (not on your graphical card) menu select hardware configuration icon.

2) Go to Fan Tab (Driver-Level) and there only the 3rd slider (performance 3d) is the one that command the GX2 fan (the other 2 are locked and just follow "performance 3d")

3) Play with it and save each Fan profile with an unique name. In my case I had:
    relax -> 60% fan
    work -> 80% fan
    full -> 100% fan

4) Go back to RT main screen and select Launcher. There add 1 regular task per fan profile (it's handy to manually change the fan on the task bar icon, but also a requirement to use the scheduler later).
    In my case:
    Relax -> relax fan profile
    Work -> work fan profile
    Full -> full fan profile

5) Go to Scheduler and create 1 hardware range task (I used GPU core 1 temperature as the magnitude) and associate each scheduler with the Launcher task. I experimented a bit with the threshold tasks but for some reason sometimes, when temps increased or decreased fast, RT missed the condition and the profile didn't kick in.

Also add an extra "Windows start" scheduler task and associate to it the launcher task that correspond to the fan speed you want to start windows with.

In my case:
    "Windows Starts" -> Relax
    "GPU1 temp between 50C-70C" -> Relax
    "GPU1 temp between 71C-76C-> Work
    "GPU 1 temp between 77C-100C-> Full

WARNING!!! Hardware variable scheduler tasks ONLY WORK if you have RT's hardware monitor on by: keeping the hardware monitor window open, activate background monitoring (the red button) or if you have activated the stats server. So be sure your RT has the former modes activated or the above tricks will not work.

(the temp values are just the ones I use after analyzing GPU Core 1 sensor readouts under different GPU loads and fan speeds... They lack any absolute meaning and you should not use them directly on your own system. Never trust the absolute readout of a thermal sensor, they usually have offsets and temp scale alterations)

Now my system behaves more or less properly... With the exception of the time that RT takes to come up after a boot... But I think that's Vista's fault, so I will need to tinker with this damn OS boot sequence.

Last edited: May 29, 2008
  4. GaS

GaS New Member

GPU:
    eVGA 9800GX2
    What happened to triggers with GX2? Because on my 8800/9800 I could set triggers for fan settings variating on temps.. But here u go with scheduler.. Well almost the same thing I guess.