9800 GTX+ SLI: Best value option?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by eueh, Dec 3, 2008.

1. eueh

eueh Active Member

GPU:
    Placeholder XFX 8600GTS:(
    I am set out to replace my 8600 GTS with something relatively competitive and under $400. Of the options considered:

1) GeForce 9800 GTX+ SLIx2

2) GeForce GTX 260 SLIx2

I would like to run it on 1920 x 1200. Which option is a better value? The GTX 260 SLI offers a slight performance increase, but at a relatively higher price.
    I could also wait in hope that prices will go down for one/both of the options. Additional suggestions are also appreciated.

2. clairvoyant129

clairvoyant129 Active Member

GPU:
    2x EVGA GTX 480 SC+
    Slight performance increase? The GTX 260 is miles and miles ahead of the 9800GTX+, especially at higher resolutions where memory bandwidth and vram becomes important. However, with your CPU, I would not waste money the GTX 260 SLI because frankly, the 9800GTX SLI would perform similarly with GTX 260 SLI with your CPU at 2.2GHz. You also have to take into account that your PSU would not be suitable for SLI configurations, so look into that first.

3. eueh

eueh Active Member

GPU:
    Placeholder XFX 8600GTS:(
    I am aware that I will need a new power supply. Assuming, however, that I am considering both short and long term interests in purchasing the card, which option would provide me with longer term capabilities for the price? I believe, overall, that option 2 would come out to be anywhere between $50-100 more than option 1. That makes the 9800 GTX+ SLI look like a favorable choice right now, but I may see otherwise as prices go down.