980 Ti Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by AvengerUK, Jun 1, 2015.

1. GroinShooter

GroinShooter Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 SC
    Yup, I've never liked the look/design of the STRIX cards in the first place and now I got some first hand experience straight in my face :puke2: Not to whine though, I did get the card for just 200 euros.

Yesterday-today I experienced a very interesting problem regarding my SLI setup. As I was casually enjoying myself some R6 with a couple of pals and a pint of mead I noticed some radical color banding. I immediately thought I fuqqed up the color management (ICC) profiles on the monitor as I had tweaked those earlier that day. So I started to troubleshoot, tried everything I could think of inside Windows and in the end I went on and reinstalled Win 10. Didn't help, so then I thought maybe broke something on the ASUS card as I was putting the spacers on it. So I took it out, removed the spacers, backplate, cooler and literally everything on the card and inspected it all around. It was intact and not harmed in any way so I put the it back together. Didn't help - Still banding.
    So I swapped the cards around. Green lines start to flicker all over the monitor and insane banding in 3DMark. I thought what the duck?!
    Then I tried both cards in single config, no banding/flicker to be seen so I suspected it's got to be the SLI bridge. As I took a look inside the SLI bridge's mounting inserts there was a small piece of hair/dust inside the bridge. I took some compressed air and blew that crap out of there. And voila, after hours of troubleshooting, reinstalling Windows and disassembling the cards it was just a piece of dust inside the SLI bridge. I think I need to book myself in to a mental institute now lol :eyebrows:

Well at least nothing is broken :banana:

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  2. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Yep those bridges can be annoying, especially the cheap flex bridges.

3. Bentez

Bentez Guest

GPU:
    Palit GR RTX 3080
    So I have to RMA my 980Ti back to EVGA :( I did have a custom bios installed which I have flashed back to a stock one from techpowerup. I wasn't sure if the .rom file name needed to be stock as well? Would this even matter for an RMA as long as the bios file is stock/untouched?

4. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    It will be fine if the image was original.

5. pharma

pharma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
  6. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    The filename has nothing to do with the data that gets flashed to the card. It's not visible to anyone but you.

However, it is possible that they know the card has been flashed. The card might have an internal flag or counter that can be queried by technicians.

Last edited: May 26, 2017
  7. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Won't matter as EVGA provides bios updates if you ask for it.

8. moheban79

moheban79 Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6970 - 2GB Trifire
    @AsiJu
    @DeathAngel74

Hi guys,

Trying to unlock raising the voltage on 980 Ti Kingpin videocard which is suppose to be locked at 1.212 volts. Problem is I have tried using the Maxwell II bios editor to raise the voltage to 1250mv by changing 1212mv to 1250mv and when I run Afterburner it reports it wont go over 1212mv no matter what value I change.

[​IMG]

I have changed the orange and purple underlined fields to 1250 and even as DeathAngel74 suggested opened the file in the Kepler bios editor and saved which opened up three more hidden voltage table fields just like the first which I duplicated as the first. Detailed here: https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/980-ti-owners-thread.399607/page-106#post-5240816

So far Afterburner doesn't show any increase in highest voltage supplied at 1212mv in the overlay display. Interestingly enough though its voltage slider is now in the middle at default 0 volts where before it was all way to the left. Not sure if thats significant.

Also to make matters worse shortly thereafter this mod one of my LEDs on my gpu burns out and doesn't come back on anymore. Only blinks for a super quick fraction of a second when machine is powered on. Fortunately the gpu's still function. Just without the LED being on.. :(

Thanks

9. zimzoid

zimzoid Guest

GPU:
    2xEVGA980TiSC+(H20) Swift
    Jeez be careful bro

10. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Hi there!

I can't remember for sure but maybe you needed to edit the CLK values as well for the highest states to match what you've set in P00...P and P05.

Don't have a 980 Ti anymore so it's been a while.

Btw if the voltage regulator won't go over 1.212 then editing the BIOS won't change that I think. If it's "hard" capped.

@Agent-A01

help with this one?

Edit: purple field is not 1250 but 1306.3 based on your screengrab, try changing it first.

11. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Actually test to see if you get any clock scaling from extra voltage.
    MSI AB may not be polling the correct voltage and may only be seeing the software voltage reported by nvapi.

Some cards don't report voltage correctly out of the box in MSI ab, you may try checking with a DMM.

12. moheban79

moheban79 Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6970 - 2GB Trifire
    Funny story doesn't take much voltage to get 1500mhz stable so who needs more voltage anyhow but figured out how to do it by software at least and with my 980 ti the voltage requirement for another 100mhz is sick and not worth it.

13. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Is it really at 1500mhz able to reach 1070ti performance levels?

14. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    Yeah, pretty much, if not surpass it. My 980ti at 1500mhz was a match for stock 1080, no problem. This was 2 years ago though, I would think since then, the 1080/1070ti improved a little bit with new drivers. Still, the 980ti at 1500mhz is a great card.

Undying likes this.
  15. moheban79

moheban79 Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6970 - 2GB Trifire
    Yeah I was able to get 1506/4000 stable at 1.2 v as far as I can tell. Tested it with various 3D benchmarks then customized my rom to 'Bake-in' 1506 as the default TDP Boost clock entry. Unfortunately for some reason while gaming it Boosted down to 1341!

I couldn't understand why it would Boost down or throttle as I raised my TDP values in MBT but it was using clock state #61 instead of #74 which I had set to 1506. So I had to shift down the values in the Boost table and shift up the voltage table to match.

Now it will auto Boost to 1506 and throttle down normally but I kind of cheated here it feels like.

If anyone knows why please comment.

Thanks.

16. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    Holy grave digger bump...

So I finally upgraded from my trusty 980 Ti to one of those fancy 4070 Ti Supers the children use nowadays.

Y U so big, miss RTX?

[​IMG]

(And also, y u so f*cking expensive, miss RTX?)

Yeah, I've been taking care of that 980 Ti. Keeping her clean and free of dust so she always looked as good as new.

She served me well for over 8 years. Now she's going to storage. She gave me a sad look as I slowly closed its original box I've put her back into. "Oh, you found someone better. I'm not good enough anymore. You treacherous bastard!"

(Don't mind me, I'm half drunk.)

This is pretty much how gaming looked like for me these last few years:

60 FPS gaming with a 980 Ti in modern games

Better than anyone would guess. G-Sync helped a lot to deal with FPS drops. And that 6GB VRAM sure came in handy. So yeah, the longest life I've ever gotten out of a graphics card.

AsiJu, chinobino, -Tj- and 3 others like this.
  17. A M D BugBear

A M D BugBear Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    Nice to see you held the card for so long, long live Maxwell Gpu's.

RealNC and AsiJu like this.
  18. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    Yep, long live one of the greatest GPU generations thus far. My old Strix 980 Ti is still alive, living a nice relaxing retirement in a media streaming PC where it never even has to spin up the old fans.

19. SplashDown

SplashDown Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti Classy
    Ya still using my Classified....

BuildeR2 likes this.
  20. chinobino

chinobino Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3060Ti Gaming X
    @RealNC I went the other way, 980Ti MSI Lightning --> 2070 Asus Mini OC

980Ti Vs 2070.jpg

Couldn't fit the 980Ti into my HTPC, it was way too big for the case.

HandR and BuildeR2 like this.