980 Ti Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by AvengerUK, Jun 1, 2015.

1. Shadowdane

Shadowdane Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX2080Ti
    66C is damn hot for the desktop... possibly you card is throttling under load?? Maybe load up MSI Afterburner and use the GUI to check GPU temps in game. Also you could set a custom fan profile if it's not being aggressive enough to cool down the GPU.

My 980Ti idles around 26-30C, hits max temps around ~68-74C.

2. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080Ti
    Did you use a 100% fan profile? Or was it someone else?

3. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    Agree with the above, if that's your idle temp something is way off. Running without Vsync with a high framerate will strain the GPU even with an older game so the hitches could be throttling.
    Or something failing due to high temp.

My card idles at around 30 - 32 C and load temps (stock) are around 75 C. So basically you have a low load temp at idle.

Check that the HSF is properly attached.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2016
  4. Shadowdane

Shadowdane Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX2080Ti
    Nope.. I am using a custom fan profile in Afterburner though. Running 100% fans would be annoying as hell, way too loud.

Here are my settings:

< 40C = 20% fan
    70C = 65% fan
    > 85C = 100% fan

5. Jamie T

Jamie T Master Guru

GPU:
    GPU
    That screenshot is when playing Cs Go.
    So i don't know if thats still way to high when maxing Cs Go out.

Doh when not doing anything Cpu 1%, Ram 16% it's still 59 Celcius.
    Which seems way to high when only firefox is open.

This is a screenshot of it being idle.

[​IMG]

Edit

So this is gonna sound stupid, but the person who did my wires did them so tight that it only has like 1mm play in it, I'm not joking and a bump against the cable knocked out all of my extra fans.

But even with those now working again it's still going up and up slowly climbing back to 59 Celcius.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2016
  6. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    ^ sounds like bad application of thermal paste or some other failure with the cooler.

RMA the card I'd say. Ofc you can try and fix it yourself but that'll void the warranty most likely.

7. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080Ti
    Watercooled perhaps?

8. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    Somewhat tidier now:
    [​IMG]
    It was a a lot nicer and easier to work with a case like this, with both side panels removable and cable management, more space and modular structure.

Very silent too and ofc stylish.

9. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Nice :thumbup:

10. gridiron whirlw

gridiron whirlw Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 570 SLI
    For someone who games at 1920 x 1080 is this card really worth it, compared to a GTX 970

11. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    ^ imo yes considering games are getting more and more demanding. 980 Ti will future-proof you a lot better than 970 would.

Game @ 1080p myself and 980 Ti is not an overkill anymore. But you can max out basically any game (apart from maybe MSAA / SSAA) and run at a locked 60 fps.

I upgraded from an R9 290X which is more or less equal to 970 in performance. Definitely feel the difference ;)

12. CSF90

CSF90 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabye GTX 980Ti OC
    Yes, I don't think it's overkill any more. Not now that newer titles like The Division, Rise of the Tomb Raider etc. can't maintain 60 FPS when maxed out.

13. Barry J

Barry J Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 TRIO Super
    The 980ti is future proof for 1080p the GPU is awesome at 1080p and good at 1440p.

I have 980ti sli I play at 1440p using DSR when future games are really demanding I will use them at 1080p

14. Twiddles

Twiddles Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2080 2190-7550
    Going from one 970 to two 970's and then the 980 Ti I can tell you that the 980 Ti is no overkill on 1080P! The upcoming games will demand more and more and this card can deliver :D IMHO the best card at 1080p, especially compared to the Fury (X) which only starts to shine at 4K (compared to the 980 Ti that is).

15. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    Thank you!

I did one modification after taking the pic, moved the upper FD fan from the front to the side panel (blowing out) and put a Cooler Master Sickleflow fan in it's place to the front.
    Would have done it the other way around but the CM fan had very short cable, wouldn't have reached the fan controller inputs from the side (3 pin).

The point of this being the side fan should exhaust the heat from the GPU (while the bottom fan provides cool air for the cooler from below).
    Seemed to help, load temps of the GPU are a couple of degrees lower now.

The side and front fans are hooked to the fan controller and have the switch on Low. Still very quiet with decent airflow. Plus higher speeds may interfere with bottom fan I think (side fan starts sucking cold air out).

All in all I have 2 x Fractal Design 140 mm + 2 x Noctua 120 mm + 1 x Cooler Master 120 mm fans = 5 case fans. Should be enough...
    The Noctuas are controlled via motherboard software (A-Tuning).

Last edited: Mar 20, 2016

16. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    Agree with all 4, top card at that resolution and awesome with some DSR by a little older games.

Just tested crysis 1 yesterday ice level and it can do 1620p dx10 v.high @2xaa np. 1440p @4xaa, to be honest I thought it would have a harder time keeping it up at those settings.
    Gta5 also amazing including ultra foliage, my old oc'ed 780gtx (tiny bit slower then 970) had some hard time and half max settings.

Crysis3 max easy peasy lol, RoTR peace of cake @2xSSAA, what else.. hm dunno every game out atm and U4E will be a smooth ride. Nvm Unity engine, frostbyte3, snowdrop, luminous -when the day comes, hopefully soon, x rebirth engine, dying light engine, madmax engine, ID6 engine, etc...

Last edited: Mar 20, 2016
  17. Glottiz

Glottiz Master Guru

GPU:
    Strix 1080Ti
    yes, especially if you value constant 60fps on very high / ultra high graphics settings.

18. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    Any other EVGA SC+ owners here?

As of late I've noticed the load temps hover around the 80 C mark and the fan becomes clearly audible at that point.
    Can this be considered normal still?

No overclocking.

19. zimzoid

zimzoid Maha Guru

GPU:
    2xEVGA980TiSC+(H20) Swift
    Mine was running hot 70-80c gaming and the fans were really loud, I ended up attaching a Kraken with Corsair H55 cooler and was able to retain the back plate and mid plate to help cool the vrms, now its so much quieter and temps are 40-50c during gaming:)

Last edited: Mar 28, 2016
  20. wrathloki

wrathloki Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980 Ti G1
    I originally had a SC+ and it was very loud. I returned it and got the Gigabyte G1 and it's so much quieter now. I think it's normal.