980 Ti Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by AvengerUK, Jun 1, 2015.

1. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    $hitty paste job most likely, find out if removing the heatsink will void warranty, if not remove it and reapply thermal paste.

If not, request RMA.

2. MaxBlade

MaxBlade Master Guru

GPU:
    980Ti/970/390/+ more
    @The Sleeper what Deathchild said..

I dont have your card but my TI with good air flow might hit 74.

3. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    yeah that's not right, the card should stay way cooler.

Just RMA or refund it, another user reported having issues with the Strix too IIRC.

4. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    The R5 definitely looks good and if it's silent and cool as well, there's no need to look further I think.
    It's also widely available here, not a surprise though as the manufacturer is Swedish.

Will likely invest in a new case (=Define R5) sometime before summer.
    Yeah right, who am I trying to convince, will run out and buy one from my next paycheck...

5. The Sleeper

The Sleeper Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 TI FE
    Thanks guys .. i will try to remove the fan and check the paste ;)

6. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    rofl AsiJu XD

:D

Make sure it doesn't void warranty.

7. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    @The Sleeper
    hey wait a tick, like said make sure that doesn't void your warranty first (and that you know what you're doing ;))

Plus personally I'd just RMA or refund it anyway first, it's not your responsibility to fix a bad HSF installation or whatever is the cause.

(Usually removing the heatsink will void the warranty even if it's not explicitly stated anywhere so careful.
    Rule of thumb is never make any physical changes, even temporary ones, to a product within warranty.)

Last edited: Mar 13, 2016
  8. jura11

jura11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080 Ti 1080 FE

Hi there

Personally I would go with Thermaltake Core X71,if budget allows.

This case is huge and is dual chamber case,plus cable managment is just great,I will post the pictures later on there,but this case has been best which I've owned and tested there

Regarding how loud is it,really depends,but as always I recommend to use fan controller,I use Kaze fan controller and stock fans are almost quiet,in bottom chamber I'm running 3 BeQuiet which are quieter than my Noctua NF-F12

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

9. Witcher29

Witcher29 Maha Guru

GPU:
    1080 Ti Gaming X
    If u have a very big living room and enough space u can go for the X71 what he says, else just go for the Thermaltake V71 best of both worlds :)

I have it myself to, i never look back again on any other case atm, love the airflow and the space u have :)

10. maxx126

maxx126 Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 980 Ti Gaming GE 6GB
    Are you getting from let's say 75 degrees to 85 degrees in couple of seconds? If that's the case it is definitely the cooler not being placed properly and do not try to fix it yourself just RMA it. Bad case airflow or low fan speed of the card won't cause such quick temp buildup.

I had similar problem with GALAX HOF 980 Ti. I RMA'd the first one and second one was the same as well so I just returned it and bought MSI one.

11. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080Ti
    Do consider the Define S. It lacks 5,25 bays and has no HDD cages which is excellent for airflow. It's as quiet as R5 but a bit smaller. For just a 980Ti and no AIO it's enough to have two good fans at the front, one in the bottom and one out in the back.

12. The Sleeper

The Sleeper Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 TI FE
    @maxx126

It goes to 91c in like 20 min or so, and then it starts to underclock the card.

I just ordered a second Hydro Series H110i GTX and a Hydro Series HG10 N980, since i was thinking about slapping some water on it anyways ... I dont think i have to worry about temps after that is installed :). Just hope that the Hydro Series H110i GTX cooler can be used for the 1080 when that arrives or this has been a very expensive GFX card!

Thanks for helping out guys ... i will report back with temps after i have installed water on this bad boy :)

13. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    Both of which I need :)

Have a Blu-Ray drive and one HDD drive (SSD can be fitted behind the mobo I think?)
    So I'd keep the top bay most likely for my HDD or fit the HDD to the other 5,25 space (R5 has two 5,25 bays) with an adapter and remove the cages completely.
    Still, need two 5,25 bays at the minimum (or one 5,25 and one 3,5).

But thanks for the idea!

Alternatively the V71 would surely be good too but I prefer the stylish look of the R5. Gone are the days when PC cases were just beige eyesores...

Also eyed out the Corsair C600 but it's a fair bit more expensive than the R5. Plus I don't really need or even want a window panel, the R5 can be bought without one.
    Plus I couldn't help but think that the "inverse layout" was just a fancy way of saying "we had the blueprints upside-down, whoopsie" :D

Returning to topic @ The Sleeper:
    good luck with your new coolers! I'd still have RMA'd first to rule out any possible failures but it's your hardware and your call.
    I understand you want to get up and running quickly.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2016
  14. maxx126

maxx126 Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 980 Ti Gaming GE 6GB
    @The Sleeper

If changing the cooler will void your warranty, what you are doing might be very risky move. If that card ran at over 90 for long periods of time, it might have decreased lifespan and fail soon so it might be a better idea to try this with a new card.

Edit: Just realized AsiJu made the same recommendation above.

15. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080Ti
    @AsiJu

There are external Blu-Ray drives and you can fit 2 SSDs + 3 SSD/HDDs on the "backside" of the case (behind the motherboard, no need to remove mobo for installation/uninstallation) :)

If I was running 980Ti single GPU I'd personally buy the H440 New Edition :) It's the prettiest case I know and afaik they've improved the airflow. Though I still dont understand why the front panel only has openings on one side instead of both.

16. The Sleeper

The Sleeper Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 TI FE
    @AsiJu
    @maxx126

The card has not been running at 90c for longer periods at a time!

maybe i should RMA it to be safe?

What to do ... what to do ... RMA it and i wont be seeing that card for a long time!

17. Shadowdane

Shadowdane Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX2080Ti
    Yah I'd RMA it... when I first got my two 980Ti cards. One card was running almost 25-30C hotter.

65C on the bottom card, top would get upwards of 92-95C within ~8-10 minutes. Fan would max out on one card but wouldn't get cooler. Also idle temps were pretty high at 45-48C.

As it was a brand new card I just returned it to the retailer and got another one. If that is an option for you, I'd go that route. It would probably be quicker compared to direct RMA.

For reference when I got the new card it only ran about 6-10C hotter in SLI setup.

18. The Sleeper

The Sleeper Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 TI FE
    Ok guys ... :)

You all convinced me to return the card!

Im gonna return the card tomorrow, to see if i can get a new one or a refund. They are gonna test the card at the shop where i bought it. I really hope they are gonna test it properly?

Cant really be bothered with this ... it´s so time-consuming!

@Shadowdane
    That sounds exactly like the problem i have!

PS. In MSI Afterburner i cant not set manual fan speed? If i set it to manual 100% and save, nothing happens ...it stays at 50% ... anyone else with this problem?

Last edited: Mar 14, 2016
  19. Shadowdane

Shadowdane Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX2080Ti
    That's odd can you set a custom fan curve? In MSI Afterburner you should be able to set a custom fan curve. I have mine set to start at 20% up to 40C, then ramp up to 70% at 80C, hitting 100% at 90C.

Make sure the Fan Tachometer is turned on for monitoring, does it increase at all??

20. jura11

jura11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080 Ti 1080 FE
    Hi there

I wouldn't say X71 is big,its bigger case than 750D that's for sure...Right now I've this case and if I would buy again this case,maybe yes,but for me is too small again

I need space for more HDD,currently I've 6 normal HDD and 4 SSD there and literally there is no space for those HDD which I've

Looking to get something bigger like is Lian Li or Thermaltake W100(this case I've on pre-order and hopefully will have this case soon) with dual Xeon motherboard in coming months

Here is how it looks inside,something similar with similar HW I've build for my friend(X5670,Titan X and GTX780 etc)

[​IMG]

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura